This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Al-Khalid Tank

For months now, i've been hearing Pakistanis in other forums claiming that the Al-Khalid is the greatest tank ever, etc...and that the Al-Khalid has been procured in great numbers by the PA. Pakistanis claim that it is indigenous...but i dont see how a country that cannot even manufacture its own trucks can suddenly make a tank. So, do any of you know the truth behind this tank? Is it really a capable tanks...or is it just another T-55 based Chinese tank that is no better than a standard T-72. Also, do any of you know how many of these things the PA actually has? Last time i checked, it had 25 or so...but Pakistanis claim it has over 2000 of them.

if its that good its good for pure land guys, BTW i think its a BS tank
    -raj

Comment

Go through the archives, that chinese & ukrainian tank has been review here earlier.
      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Its Chinese type 90 tank with **** paint !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArjunMK1
          Its Chinese type 90 tank with **** paint !!!
          This is one aspect where pureland excels. Have a look at their ghauri, haft, babur & al khalid .
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Thought so. It is basically another T-55 based tank that is probably equivalent to an early model T-72 at best. If you look at any of Chinas tanks, you can clearly see that they are based off older T-series tanks. Even their latest and most advanced tnak, the Type-98, is clearly based on a T-72 platform. As far as the Al-Khalid is concerned...i think India's T-72s should be able to handle it without any problems. Either way, i doubt we'll be seeing any huge tank battels in the near future.

Comment

The performance of the Al-Khalid needs to be seen is operations before one condemns it. Just because it is based on the T series does not make it a use less tank, you can argue that may not be on par with the Abrams and Leopards but then if it gives an improved and economical armoured system to the PA.
              In the end it is training and performance in battle that will speak for it.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

How about comparison between type 98 & al khalid [old gen china tank].
                Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFlanker
                  For months now, i've been hearing Pakistanis in other forums claiming that the Al-Khalid is the greatest tank ever, etc...and that the Al-Khalid has been procured in great numbers by the PA. Pakistanis claim that it is indigenous...but i dont see how a country that cannot even manufacture its own trucks can suddenly make a tank. So, do any of you know the truth behind this tank? Is it really a capable tanks...or is it just another T-55 based Chinese tank that is no better than a standard T-72. Also, do any of you know how many of these things the PA actually has? Last time i checked, it had 25 or so...but Pakistanis claim it has over 2000 of them.

You grow pot in your room don't you?

Comment

Why would they make an inferior tank ( Al-Khaid ) or however its spelled when they have around 150 T-80UDs? The T-80UD is the best tank in that region ( India vs. Pakistan obviously )...

This is probably going to be a domestically produced T-72 Hybrid with a few upgrades on its own. I dont think pakistan can domestically produce the T-80U, they have to order them and thier spares through either the Ukraine or Russia-Molozov in Ukraine primarily i would assume.

Comment

errmmm... the best tank in the region is not a T-80UD, it's actually a T-90....
                      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

This has been discussed over and over:

T-80 > T-90 ( T-72BM w/hybrid Chobbam if you know any better )
                        Chobbam style armor is a standard feature of all T-80's, not the 72/90

However, india will beat the crap out of the pakistanis if/when war arises in the region again. :)

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                          The performance of the Al-Khalid needs to be seen is operations before one condemns it. Just because it is based on the T series does not make it a use less tank, you can argue that may not be on par with the Abrams and Leopards but then if it gives an improved and economical armoured system to the PA.
                          In the end it is training and performance in battle that will speak for it.

It is an economical approach for Pakistan, an dpretty much any country that produces a weapons system domestically is going to try to make that out to be the best.

No tank is useless, but this Khalid is no more than another T-72 clone and the basic form of that tank (and all of its clones) is full of problems:

1. An autoloader with a three man crew. Auto-loaders are slower than a human loader and if you have that fourth crew-member (vis 3) then you have one more guy to help maintain/repair the tank and man positions when another crew member becomes incapacitated.

2. The tiny turret makes the tank extremenly vulnerable to catastrophic hits.

Comment

Originally posted by raj
                            if its that good its good for pure land guys, BTW i think its a BS tank
                            -raj
                            And i think you can be a Chief of Indian Armed Forces.

What an idiot..
                            Last edited by Ahsan; 01 Feb 06,, 23:22.

Comment

Originally posted by JBodnar39
                              2. The tiny turret makes the tank extremenly vulnerable to catastrophic hits.
                              All tanks are vulnerable, the advantage with the T-72 series and its clones is that the silhouette is much lower and smaller than the M60 series (its adversary when built).

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X