This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike Aircraft Comparisons

So, which aircraft do you guys feel is the best ground attack/strike aircraft?
    A-10 Warthog
    50.27%
    MiG-27
    17.30%
    SEPECAT Jaguar
    8.11%
    Mirage V
    3.78%
    Tornado Gr.4
    20.54%

Originally posted by SuperFlanker
    So, which aircraft do you guys feel is the best ground attack/strike aircraft?
    A-10 (out of the above list)

Comment

I'm an indian, and should have gone 4 Mig - 27 but as much as i have read about all the above listed aircrafts, i think A-10 is the best jaguar comes close. Dont know about rest. if anybody can specify which is best regarding technical specifications, i would like to hear it. :)

Comment

Out of that list only A-10 and Tornado can compete. I've voted for Tornado because of it's uniquely terrain following radar that qualifies it to fly below enemies radar and because of it's SEAD properties (ECR).

But why are F-15E and F-117 not in the list???
        And why Mirage V and not 2000???
        >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

F-15E and Mirage2000 are multirole fighters, not dedicated strike aircraft. The F-117 is more of a long range, high altitude bomber than a dedicated strike aircraft.

Comment

IAF Jaguars did well in Alaska exercise some time back.
            Hala Madrid!!

Comment

F-15E and Mirage2000 are multirole fighters, not dedicated strike aircraft.
              F-15E is primarily a strike aircraft.

The F-117 is more of a long range, high altitude bomber...

That's the definition of a strike aircraft in my opinion. But to class F-117 is not really possible. Actualy it should be named A-117 not F-117.
              Last edited by JG73; 08 Oct 05,, 03:01.
              >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
                IAF Jaguars did well in Alaska exercise some time back.

There's a reason why RAF will replace all Jaguars while Tornado will stay in service.
                >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

hmm, I dont see why Jaguars are on the list... they are pretty much inferior nowadays as strike aircraft...

maybe F-111 or B-1? lmao

Comment

I think you should have put the F-35 JSF on the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Burning_Kid
                      I think you should have put the F-35 JSF on the poll.
                      we don't quite know the specs or actual capabilities of the JSF.

Comment

All the aircraft i put on the list are in the same general class...they are used almost exclusively for air to ground attack and are usually used to give clsoe air supprot to ground troops. Things liek the F-111, F-117, B-1, etc. are long range high altitude bombers and things like the F-35, M2k and F-15E are multirole aircraft that can be used for A2A or A2G effectively.

Comment

Things liek the F-111, F-117, B-1, etc. are long range high altitude bombers
                          F-111 was made to intrude adverse airspace in low level flight for not to bee seen by radar. Just like the Tornado. By the way: F-111 isn't in service anymore.
                          F-117's range isn't very impressiv only about 1500km. Also airforce-technology.com classifies it clear as a ground attack aircraft. B-1, B-2, B-52 are long range high altitude Bombers. Otherwise it hadn't been downed by a SA-3 during Kosovo war.

...and things like the F-35, M2k and F-15E are multirole aircraft that can be used for A2A or A2G effectively.

Even though F-15E's air to ground capabilities are much better than Jaguar's, MiG-27's or Mirage's.
                          >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Of that unimpressive list, the Tornado is the best by a good margin.

The Mig-27 suffers from the wonders of Russian electronics and is singularly unimpressive in the munitions department.

The A-10 is slow and wheezy and only now becoming more than a fair weather CAS aircraft.

The Jaguar has had a good run, but is sorely outdated.

The combination of TIALD, Storm Shadow, Brimstone, Paveway 4, and Alarm/HARM give the Gr4 a decent weapons selection.

Other than a decent SAR/GMTI radar (AFAIK), the Tornado is a capable strike aircraft.
                            Last edited by B.Smitty; 09 Oct 05,, 15:07.

Comment

Why wasn't the Su-25T(Su-39) Frogfoot included?
                              http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/su-25.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X