Conservatives Win Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservatives Win Again

Pataki Says Freedom Center Won't Be at Ground Zero (Update2)

Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Governor George Pataki said today he will direct development officials to drop plans for a museum of freedom at the World Trade Center site, saying it has stirred ``too much opposition, too much controversy.''

The International Freedom Center would have been put in a cultural center adjacent to a memorial for the Sept. 11 victims, and was part of the master plan for redeveloping the devastated 16-acre site of the nation's worst terrorist attack.

In the last several months, some victims' families, groups of firefighters and police officers and public officials said the center, which would feature historical exhibits expressing the worldwide struggle for freedom, would detract from the Sept. 11 themes and provide a possible forum for anti-U.S. messages.

``Today there remains too much opposition, too much controversy, over the programming of the IFC and we must move forward with our first priority, the creation of an inspiring memorial to pay tribute to our lost loved ones and tell their stories to the world,'' Pataki said in a prepared statement.

``I am directing the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. to work with the IFC to explore other locations for the center,'' the governor said.

The center's leadership said that won't work. ``We do not believe there is a viable alternative place for the IFC at the World Trade Center site,'' said a statement sent by Richard Tofel, its president and chief operating officer. ``We consider our work, therefore, to have been brought to an end.''

More: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...top_world_news

No 'viable alternative place', eh? Sounds to me like the whole thing WAS political after all, despite fervent denials from the IFC leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
      No 'viable alternative place', eh? Sounds to me like the whole thing WAS political after all, despite fervent denials from the IFC leaders.
      I'll be waiting for Broken's "Liberals win again" Copy cat thread. Should be up in about 20 years.

Comment

The center's leadership said that won't work. ``We do not believe there is a viable alternative place for the IFC at the World Trade Center site,'' said a statement sent by Richard Tofel, its president and chief operating officer. ``We consider our work, therefore, to have been brought to an end.''
        Good. Dickweed.

-dale

Comment

Working...
        X