PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan month

HorriBelle
26 Oct 03,, 12:32
Happy Ramadan month to all Muslim posters here :)

bigross86
26 Oct 03,, 12:38
What is Ramadan? I know it's a month of fasting, but what's the reasoning behind it? Is it for forgivenes, like Yom Kippur?

HorriBelle
26 Oct 03,, 12:52
Yeah, It is a time for inner reflection, devotion to God, and self-control. Muslims think of it as a kind of tune-up for their spiritual lives.

Also, that during the month of Ramadan, Allah revealed the first verses of the Qur'an.

And as for me, Ramadan is the only month where my diet works.. :D *needs to lose some weight*

bigross86
26 Oct 03,, 14:53
Yet another example of how the religions are alike. Yom Kippur, Ramadan, Lent. Why they all can't get alonf is beyond me

Ray
27 Oct 03,, 05:44
It not only to purify the spiritual soul, but cleanse the body and mind.

You can't even swallow your spit! Its that strict. No eveil thoughts either. Or anger. It is very difficult, but once you have done it, it gives you a very satisying feeling.

s_qwert63
27 Oct 03,, 12:00
i remember my grandmother fasting for a month...
my auntie tried to do it as well, but i kept teasing her and eating food in front of her. so she couldn't hack it haha.
my grandparents used to get up at 4am and eat, then when the sun would go up they wouldn't eat anything, until it was down.
quite cool because i got all the food in the fridge :D

Sheikh
30 Oct 03,, 06:50
s_qwert63 - Since it is Ramadan I will try to be kind as possible and tell you what other people hesitate to say. Be QUIET! It is better to be thought a fool then opening your mouth and proving them right. We don't want to know your family history

Anyway Ramadan Mubarik to everyone. Maybe some Non-muslims can give it a try and see how it feels like.

Lunatock
30 Oct 03,, 17:20
This would be my second Ramadan. Aside from having to eat something before training.

100 jumping jacks, pushups, situps, sometimes even mountain climbers and squat thrusts, and fasting...just wasn't possible for me more than 15 days last year.

Almost passed out. And would of been fed though an I.V. if I had.

bigross86
30 Oct 03,, 18:53
That's why I think Yom Kippur has a slight advantage over Ramadan. On Yom Kippur you fast for 25 hours, you don't eat after dark or before sunrise, and it's only a day, so it's not life threatening. People who are sick or don't feel well can drink eat or take medicine.

Lunatock
30 Oct 03,, 19:05
Originally posted by bigross86
That's why I think Yom Kippur has a slight advantage over Ramadan. On Yom Kippur you fast for 25 hours, you don't eat after dark or before sunrise, and it's only a day, so it's not life threatening. People who are sick or don't feel well can drink eat or take medicine.

That rule applies to Ramadan as well. And it's not that I would of been like. "Oh well, guess I just have to tough out the last fifteen days."

TopHatter
30 Oct 03,, 20:00
Whenever I hear "Yom Kippur", I think of the 1973 war. Pretty crappy thing to think of considering it's a sacred time for Jews :cry

kingfrogger
30 Oct 03,, 20:16
I have a hard enough time getting through Lent... gave up all carbonated beverages this past one. I was meaning to give up just sodas, but made the dumbass mistake of specifying "carbonated," which unfortunately includes beer...

:cry :cry :cry

Oh well... good news is I don't drink NEARLY as much Coke as I used to.

Stinger
30 Oct 03,, 20:25
Originally posted by kingfrogger
I have a hard enough time getting through Lent... gave up all carbonated beverages this past one. I was meaning to give up just sodas, but made the dumbass mistake of specifying "carbonated," which unfortunately includes beer...

:cry :cry :cry

Oh well... good news is I don't drink NEARLY as much Coke as I used to. I remember that.... I also remember drinking DP in front of you :D

bigross86
30 Oct 03,, 21:19
Wow, Stinger, you're a real friend!!! Drinking Froggy's share of carbonated drinks so they don't go to waste.

kingfrogger
30 Oct 03,, 21:26
BR, don't encourage him...

Stinger
30 Oct 03,, 21:29
Like I need encouragement

TopHatter
30 Oct 03,, 21:55
"Lent" What an interesting concept.
I wonder what I would give up? Sex? Nah. Cheetos? Hell no! Popcorn? Nope. WAB? Nope.

bigross86
30 Oct 03,, 21:57
Lent is sort of like the three weeks between Tamuz 17 (When the walls of Jerusalwm were breached) and 9 Av (When both Temples were destroyed). No music, no public getherings, no movies, no concerts, no fun. On the 9 days between 1 Av to 9 Av no meat is allowed to be eaten except on Sabbath

kingfrogger
30 Oct 03,, 23:28
Yeah, it's a little different though...

You give up one specific thing (a lot of people pick 'vices' like chocolate, alcohol, smoking, etc.) for the whole period. In addition to that, meat is sort of "given up".

I'm Lutheran, and we (and not-so-strict Catholics) don't eat meat (fish being an exception) on Fridays during Lent. Strict Catholics don't eat meat ANY time during Lent. Some people vary it, saying that chicken isn't meat either, that the "meat" only applies to beef, pork, lamb, etc... it's wierd.

Ray
31 Oct 03,, 03:46
Shiek,

Instead of telling him to be quiet, I think it would be better to tell him the significance of Ramdan. I would have but then you would be a better person to explain the meaning.

Likewise, Lent and Yom Kippur. Must see the historical backdrop and then one will understand the importance and try to live up to the religious expectation. One can't force religion, one has to show them light. They will then follow.

If he stuffed himself, well and good. Did he get a stomach ache? He is silent. Further, he is but a little boy. As he grows older, he will feel the requirement of God. whoever or whtever be that God. The path is many, the goal is the same.

Jay
31 Oct 03,, 08:24
Yup we have fastin festivals like this in Hindusim.

But mostly men abstain from fasting and mostly women in India does all the fasting :)

Ray
31 Oct 03,, 08:44
Jay is right.

In fact, it is not uncommon that families fast once a week. it is supposed to be giving the sytems a rest! None would agree to do it so religious connotation is given.

There are other times when longer fasting is done.

Very few Christians seriously follow Lent here.

Ramadan is strictly followed by the majority of Indian Muslims.