PDA

View Full Version : Right-handed or left-handed?

Ironduke
26 Oct 03,, 05:26
Are you right-handed or left-handed?

I'm left-handed (writing), although I throw, bat, shoot right-handed.

bigross86
26 Oct 03,, 11:31
Right handed in all I do

HorriBelle
26 Oct 03,, 12:37
"Left hand is only used to clean after poo poo" - HorriBelle's Mom

So, until now, I associate left hand with all dirty things.

bigross86
26 Oct 03,, 12:38
Muslims and Druze don't eat with their left hand, right?

HorriBelle
26 Oct 03,, 12:43
I don't know about that... but for Malays, we eat using right hand. Uh.. we even eat rice using hand.

HorriBelle
26 Oct 03,, 12:44
What's Druze anyway?

bigross86
26 Oct 03,, 14:52
A member of a Syrian people following a religion marked by monotheism and a belief in al-Hakim (985-1021), an Ismaili caliph, as the embodiment of God. They believe that Jethro, Moses' father-in-law is the prophet of god, as oppsed to Moses in Judaism and Mohammad in Islam

kingfrogger
27 Oct 03,, 19:55
From what I've been told, people of certain descents (most in the Middle East, some Asian cultures) believe that the right hand is to be used for shaking hands, eating, etc... the "clean things." The left hand, however, is to be used to, for lack of a euphemism, "wipe your ass." For this reason, it's considered the 'dirty' hand.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you have heard of wacky punishments for crimes in the Middle East, mainly involving having certain limbs cut off in relation to certain crimes? Well, for robbery the hand is what commits the crime, so the hand is cut off. They cut off the RIGHT hand, so that the criminal is forever forced to eat, etc., with the same hand that they do all their "dirty deeds" with... apparently quite a dishonor and a mark of shame/whatever.

Not sure if these practices are still in effect, but that's what I was told.

bigross86
28 Oct 03,, 14:40
I read in the newspaper today that some dude in Iran got 4 fingers on his right hand cut off for stealing things.

kingfrogger
28 Oct 03,, 15:37
There ya go.

See, I thought I knew the truth in that situation. I guess I was just told it was the whole hand, not just the fingers.

Still, he's crippled for life, for one, and is now marked for all others to see he's obviously a thief. What a way to do it...

Gio
28 Oct 03,, 18:56
hmm, never knew that about the middle eastern and asian cultures, good fact.

kingfrogger
28 Oct 03,, 19:11
Yeah... kinda interesting.

They have others, at least in the Middle East, that I've heard of also. Never have confirmed 'em as 'true' for myself, though. For example:

If you're convicted of rape, you have something equally as important (if not moreso) cut off.

They also supposedly cut out your tongue for something, but I can't remember if it's for lying/perjury, or for speaking out against the government/treason. Don't remember about that one.

Basically, they seem to have the idea that if you commit a crime, whichever part of your physical body committed the crime must be cut out or cut off, so that the criminality of the flesh doesn't spread. Also, it's to teach a lesson and warn the rest of the population of your criminal history.

Personally, I think they should tattoo the crimes committed onto the foreheads of convicted felons in the U.S.; 'Rape,' 'Murder,' 'Robbery,' etc... it'd definitely help deter future criminals, I'm sure. But that's the sick, twisted side of me... :dbanana

bigross86
28 Oct 03,, 19:22
They ususally don't do the whole slicing thing in Iran, but crime was way up, and they needed an example...

Leader
29 Oct 03,, 00:30
Originally posted by bigross86
I read in the newspaper today that some dude in Iran got 4 fingers on his right hand cut off for stealing things.

Well at least he got to keep his thumb. http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Leader
29 Oct 03,, 00:33
Originally posted by kingfrogger
They also supposedly cut out your tongue for something, but I can't remember if it's for lying/perjury, or for speaking out against the government/treason. Don't remember about that one.

That one is for telling the dictator something he doesn't want to here. .

kingfrogger
29 Oct 03,, 05:04
Yeah, figured it was something along those lines.

But regarding BR's comment that they don't normally do it, and just needed to make an example...

How PISSED OFF would you be to be the ONE guy out of however many criminals that got his fingers cut off?? Talk about severe rage lash-outs... I'd put those damn "Jyhad"-screamin', dynamite-strapped wacko suicide bombers to shame with the f***ed up, pain-inflicting madness that I'd unleash on my third-world country's dictators and their families... it'd be all "Kaiser Soze"-ish... (that's a reference to the movie 'The Usual Suspects,' which is one of my all-time favorites, and a bad-ass film in general...)

Anyway, I was just thinkin' about that, and it'd piss me off if I was selected to be the "example" instead of the guy next to me or whatever... oh well. I guess you just don't steal in Iran, huh?

Bill
29 Oct 03,, 05:06
I'm a lefty.

TopHatter
29 Oct 03,, 22:58
A southpaw? How does that affect yer shootin'? :LOL

Stinger
29 Oct 03,, 23:02
apparently not much :)

TopHatter
29 Oct 03,, 23:14
Gee whiz I really need to get up to PA and have Snipe give me some good basic firearms and marksmanship instruction, especially the field-stripping and cleaning stuff. I mean, what good is owning a firearm and shooting well if you can't maintain it properly?

Sheikh
30 Oct 03,, 06:53
Tongue is cut for lying in a trial... that is what I have been told at least.

TopHatter
30 Oct 03,, 17:22
The Koran has a rather strict law code, to say the least :)

Bill
01 Nov 03,, 08:39
" I mean, what good is owning a firearm and shooting well if you can't maintain it properly?"

Very little. ;)

Ironduke
03 Nov 03,, 01:43
Originally posted by HorriBelle

Hah, I do all the dirty things with my right hand :D

Praxus
03 Nov 03,, 03:02
Isn't Islamic Law based on the code of Hamurabi

Ironduke
04 Nov 03,, 02:42
Originally posted by Praxus
Isn't Islamic Law based on the code of Hamurabi
No, Old Testament law.

Praxus
04 Nov 03,, 23:49
Islam broke away once Abraham exiled his first son. Both Jewish Old testament law and the Islamic law is based on the Hamarabi Code. I just looked it up.

Ziska
05 Nov 03,, 01:50
err, the bible doesn't mention Hammarubi's code at all.

If we are talking about religion, then the laws are based off the ones handed down by God on Mt. Sinai. Whether that actually happened or not, we can argue till we're blue in the face. But as far as the religion is concerned, it is based on a direct revelation from God. Ask anyone, from Bigross to me.

Praxus
05 Nov 03,, 01:54
Ok I'm talking about reality not the Bible.

ChrisF202
01 Sep 04,, 14:54
right handed here

Marine
01 Sep 04,, 15:48
Left Handed.
But I ALWAYS pitch with my right hand and cut with scissors. But I can shoot a gun with both left and right hands. I dont know but im not ambedextris(sp?).
:confused:

Confed999
02 Sep 04,, 03:22
Right

logic
26 Sep 04,, 09:05
Right.

Ray
26 Sep 04,, 10:41
I can write with both, but mostly right.

Asim Aquil
28 Sep 04,, 00:57

Too much information.

Asim Aquil
28 Sep 04,, 01:07
I have a cousin, he used to be the 1st of Left arm and right arm bowler in cricket. He's a little mentally challenged, couldn't really cut it big. But he became a famous painter. There was a time where one liners were all over Karachi, "Kafeel Bhai Ghotki walay", loosely translated it'd mean "Kafeel, the one from Ghotki" (small town in Sindh,Pakistan)

Jay
28 Sep 04,, 01:13
Right.
I just found out last week, that I can throw a frisbee very well with my left hand as I do with my right hand.

Oh btw Left is considered dirty, regardless of you being left/right, in hindu temples. ;)

mostlymad
29 Sep 04,, 21:05
Leftie, Southpaw.

The nuns in Catholic school really "discouraged" using my left hand, thought it was Satan's way in. (would rap my fingers with a yard stick!)

I wonder why so many cultures have derogatory views/myths about the left hand.

Jay
29 Sep 04,, 21:14
well, I think most of the ancients were right handed and they washed their posterior with thei left, which became a norm !! :rolleyes:

**Yuck, this line of discussion stinks**

mostlymad
30 Sep 04,, 18:16
**Yuck, this line of discussion stinks**

It's pretty crappy.