Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-handed or left-handed?

Are you right-handed or left-handed?

I'm left-handed (writing), although I throw, bat, shoot right-handed.
    Right-handed
    62.50%
    Left-handed
    21.88%
    Ambidextrous
    15.63%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Right handed in all I do
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"Left hand is only used to clean after poo poo" - HorriBelle's Mom

So, until now, I associate left hand with all dirty things.

Comment

Muslims and Druze don't eat with their left hand, right?
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I don't know about that... but for Malays, we eat using right hand. Uh.. we even eat rice using hand.

Comment

What's Druze anyway?

Comment

A member of a Syrian people following a religion marked by monotheism and a belief in al-Hakim (985-1021), an Ismaili caliph, as the embodiment of God. They believe that Jethro, Moses' father-in-law is the prophet of god, as oppsed to Moses in Judaism and Mohammad in Islam

Comment

From what I've been told, people of certain descents (most in the Middle East, some Asian cultures) believe that the right hand is to be used for shaking hands, eating, etc... the "clean things." The left hand, however, is to be used to, for lack of a euphemism, "wipe your ass." For this reason, it's considered the 'dirty' hand.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you have heard of wacky punishments for crimes in the Middle East, mainly involving having certain limbs cut off in relation to certain crimes? Well, for robbery the hand is what commits the crime, so the hand is cut off. They cut off the RIGHT hand, so that the criminal is forever forced to eat, etc., with the same hand that they do all their "dirty deeds" with... apparently quite a dishonor and a mark of shame/whatever.

Not sure if these practices are still in effect, but that's what I was told.
                I never understood "fire for effect". I thought the firing WAS the effect...

Comment

I read in the newspaper today that some dude in Iran got 4 fingers on his right hand cut off for stealing things.

Comment

There ya go.

See, I thought I knew the truth in that situation. I guess I was just told it was the whole hand, not just the fingers.

Still, he's crippled for life, for one, and is now marked for all others to see he's obviously a thief. What a way to do it...

Comment

hmm, never knew that about the middle eastern and asian cultures, good fact.

Comment

Yeah... kinda interesting.

They have others, at least in the Middle East, that I've heard of also. Never have confirmed 'em as 'true' for myself, though. For example:

If you're convicted of rape, you have something equally as important (if not moreso) cut off.

They also supposedly cut out your tongue for something, but I can't remember if it's for lying/perjury, or for speaking out against the government/treason. Don't remember about that one.

Basically, they seem to have the idea that if you commit a crime, whichever part of your physical body committed the crime must be cut out or cut off, so that the criminality of the flesh doesn't spread. Also, it's to teach a lesson and warn the rest of the population of your criminal history.

Personally, I think they should tattoo the crimes committed onto the foreheads of convicted felons in the U.S.; 'Rape,' 'Murder,' 'Robbery,' etc... it'd definitely help deter future criminals, I'm sure. But that's the sick, twisted side of me... :dbanana

Comment

They ususally don't do the whole slicing thing in Iran, but crime was way up, and they needed an example...

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                            I read in the newspaper today that some dude in Iran got 4 fingers on his right hand cut off for stealing things.
                            Well at least he got to keep his thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfrogger
                              They also supposedly cut out your tongue for something, but I can't remember if it's for lying/perjury, or for speaking out against the government/treason. Don't remember about that one.
                              That one is for telling the dictator something he doesn't want to here. .

Comment

Working...
                              X