• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's appeasement working for you?

Not well in France...

Terror suspects eyeing up Paris metro, airport

Tue Sep 27, 5:09 AM ET

PARIS, (AFP) - Terror suspects detained in France had been eyeing up the Parisian metro network, an airport and the headquarters of the domestic intelligence service as possible targets, sources close to the investigation said.

The suspicions were based on an intelligence tip-off from Algeria and from telephone surveillance, although there is no hard evidence they had settled on a particular target, they said.

Nine people were detained by police early Monday in a series of raids west of Paris in what officials said was a crackdown on suspected Islamic terrorist activities.

Among those being held is Safe Bourada, 35, who was released from prison in 2003 after five years for helping organise a series of bomb attacks in France in 1995 for the Algerian Armed Islamic Group (GIA).

Seven of those held were described as targets of the police operation, and the two others happened to be with them when the round-up took place.

Officials said the men were members of the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC), an armed Algerian group that grew out of the GIA and has links to the Al-Qaeda network. Bourada was described as their ringleader.

The GSPC has threatened to carry out attacks in France and it is seen as a credible danger by intelligence officials.

The interior ministry announced later Monday the government has prepared a series of new anti-terrorism measures including increased use of video-surveillance and improved police access to Internet and mobile telephone records amid the heightened threat of terrorism.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050927...arreststargets

Seems that there is no way to avoid being a target.
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
      Seems that there is no way to avoid being a target.
      Sure there is

Comment

Well I meant besides killing everyone.
        Originally posted by GVChamp
        College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

France has been living with terrorists a long time.

It seems that they deal quite well with the danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sombra
            France has been living with terrorists a long time.
            On the basis of that, I would not draw this conclusion:

It seems that they deal quite well with the danger.

Comment

HAH!

Funny as hell, Leader.

Comment

Well, we will see how the biggest recruitment effort for terrorists (Bushs WOT) works in the long run.

If it works better then good police work (aka french appeasement )

Comment

The accusation that French are appeasing is ridiculous.

While others have nothing to curb the impinging of Islamic practices in their countries which are contrary to the local sentiments, France is the only country that has banned wearing of hijabs and other religious accoutrements.

France has also made it mandatory that the Mullahs preach in French and not in Arabic. This is more so since the French are stationing their plainclothes police within the Mosque to observe the workings of the Mullahs.

If I am not wrong, they have deported virulent Mullahs.

The real appeaser is Great Britain.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Thats surely one way of keeping countries safe. Deport the religious leaders and other leaders that preach hatred and jihad and let their host countries deal with them. Hey if they can prove they are preaching this stuff then civil rights should never even be mentioned when they are deported. I give it a thumbs up deporting them is much better then violence and certainly better then waiting for the next attack to happen. :)
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sombra
                      Well, we will see how the biggest recruitment effort for terrorists (Bushs WOT) works in the long run.
                      BS

If it works better then good police work (aka french appeasement )
                      You've distorted my argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                        The accusation that French are appeasing is ridiculous.
                        I was unspecific with my accusation of appeasement. I shouldn't have been. France is guilty of foreign policy appeasement (on Iraq, on Iran, and rhetorically) not domestic appeasement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                          HAH!

Funny as hell, Leader.
                          It was just waiting there for someone

Comment

I agree with you Leader on the Foreign Policy bit.

But I was rather pleased that they took no crap on the hijab and the preaching part.

Be French or go home!

Say Viva Le France first and then whatever junk you wish to say or else forget about Liberty, Fraternity and Equality and it is the Batille for you and there will be no storming of the Bastille either! ;)
                            Last edited by Ray; 28 Sep 05,, 22:21.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
                              BS

Terrorist acts, deaths more than tripled in 2004: US

Terrorist acts, deaths more than tripled in 2004: US
                              WASHINGTON, April 27 (AFP) - The United States said Wednesday that terrorist activity in the world increased sharply last year with the number of attacks and dead more than tripling but that it was winning the global "war on terror."

The US National Counterterrorism Center, an arm of the Central Intelligence Agency, said in a report there were 651 terrorist attacks across the globe last year with 1,907 people killed.

This compares with 208 attacks involving 625 fatalities in 2003, according to State Department figures released last year.

A total of 6,704 people were wounded in terrorist strikes last year, according to the center, compared to the 3,646 reported for 2003. Another 710 people were taken hostage in 2004, the new report said.

But State Department Counselor Philip Zelikow said: "I think we are winning the war on terror but it is a very long struggle.

"And I want to triple underscore: No complacency."

The center released the figures for the first time and separately from an annual State Department country report on terrorism which said the global threat remained "significant" and Iraq was still the central battleground.

Earlier this month, the department said it had decided not to publish statistics after widely publicized errors were found in figures for 2003 that had to be revised.

NCTC acting director John Brennan said the center used new methodology, statutory criteria and counting rules to capture the fresh statistics and that it was unfair to compare 2004 figures with previous years.

"An increased level of effort allowed a much deeper review of far more information and along with Iraq were the primary reasons for the significant growth in terrorist incidents being reported," he said.

In Iraq, the number of terrorist incidents ballooned from 22 in 2003 to 201 last year.

The terrorist data has become a political hot potato, with Democrats suggesting that the administration of President George W. Bush was politicising the issue.

Congressional Democrats, led by House minority leader Nancy Pelosi, charged that last year's erroneous report was used to bolster administration claims to be making progress in the war on terror, and urged the State Department to include data on terrorist attacks in its annual report.

"We also ask that you determine whether political consideration affected the department's decision this year to withhold data regarding terrorist attacks from its annual terrorism report," they said in a letter to the department.

More than half the attacks reported for 2004 were in South Asia, which recorded 327 incidents that produced 502 deaths. The bulk of the incidents were reported in the divided Kashmir state claimed by both India and Pakistan.

Most of those killed were in the Middle East, where 726 people died in 270 attacks. But the bloodiest strikes were in Europe and Eurasia, where 636 people were killed overall in 24 incidents, including a train bombing in Spain and school seizure in Russia.

Nearly half the incidents (46 percent) involved armed attacks, the report said, while suicide and other bombings accounted for 29 percent. Sixteen percent of the attacks involved kidnappings.

The State Department report highlighted the continuing terrorist threat despite what it said was success in whittling down the Al-Qaeda terrorist group.

The annual "Country Reports on Terrorism 2004" also identified Cuba, North Korea, Syria and above all Iran as continued supporters of terrorism.

The 129-page document said that "international terrorism continued to pose a significant threat to the United States and its partners in 2004."

"The United States and other donor nations must intensify to bolster the political will and the intelligence, law enforcement, financial and military capabilities of partner nations to combat terrorism, on their own or with us," it said.

The report said Iraq, which the United States invaded in March 2003 to topple the regime of Saddam Hussein, "remains the central battleground in the global war on terrorism."

The report said that Al-Qaeda, led by the fugitive Osama bin Laden, remained the primary terrorist threat to the United States despite success in arresting several top leaders and weakening its operational capability.

While there were no terrorist attacks last year on US soil, Americans were killed in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Egypt and the Gaza Strip.

It said many other countries were hit by terrorism, including Russia, Spain and the Philippines.

The department said Libya and Sudan took significant steps to cooperate in the anti-terrorism drive last year. "Cuba, Iran, North Korea and Syria, however, continued to maintain their ties to terrorism," it said.

"Iran remained the most active state sponsor of terrorism in 2004," the report said.
                              Leader, I am just tired of the lie that you are in the Iraq because you want to fight global terror. You are defending economical interessts, want freedon for the people of Iraq whatever but the "terrorist argument " is very lame.

If you want to fight terror freeze the acccounts of your buddies in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Comment

Working...
                              X