Same copter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same copter?

Forgive my ignorance but is the Sikorsky S-70B the same as the Sikorsky SH60 Seahawk?

I know for a fact that the Singapore Navy recently acquired six S-70B for their stealth frigates. But this magazine I read was talking about the SH60 Seahawk & said that Singapore was the latest customer.

Same copter with different name? Or totally diff?

Yes they are essentially the same. Basically the SH-60 is the U.S. department of Defense designation for its version of the Sikorsky model 70B helicopter.
    F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
      Yes they are essentially the same. Basically the SH-60 is the U.S. department of Defense designation for its version of the Sikorsky model 70B helicopter.
      Thanks for clarifying. If I'm not mistaken its primarily an anti-ship/anti-sub copter right? Though I think I did read about the possibility of arming it with hellfires.

Comment

Originally posted by wnw
        Thanks for clarifying. If I'm not mistaken its primarily an anti-ship/anti-sub copter right? Though I think I did read about the possibility of arming it with hellfires.
        Multi-role really depending on the model. The US and Taiwan have the SH-60/70 F which has no anti-surface capability (anti-sub only). The SH-60B has anti-sub and anti-surface capability although some countries (Japan,Thailand) do not arm them with anti-surface weapons. Australia's SH-60 have an ASuW capability but I'm not sureif they put their Penguins on those machines or the SH-2's. The US, Greece, Turkey, Spain have both Penguin and Hellfire capability.

Comment

Most of the Seahawk line can carry up to 4 hellfires on the external fuel tank pylon. The MH-60S (S-70AN) can carry from 8-16 using the Blackhawk's external stores support system.
          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
          X