Firearms & pasgt kevlar body armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms & pasgt kevlar body armor

Hey, i've look on many sites, i see alot of various answers...

I'm lost in terms. Kinda new...
    I have a pasgt kevlar vest(the one before the release of the new interceptor), wich bullet can it stop?
    What level is it? I - IIA - IIIA, etc. and what do they mean?
    I've heard about trauma plates, does a pasgt kevlar vest have one? You have to add it?
    If you have to add the trauma plates, can the vest alone stop bullets without the trauma plates?(impact on organs)
    .44 magnum vs 9mm bullet fired from a beretta/glock, wich is stronger?(force, impact)

I hope you can help me on a few questions, thanks.

I can only answer two questions.

The vest itself is probably Level IIa body armor, which means it will stop 9mm and low-velocity .40 S&W and everything below that.

And I can tell you right now, .44 Magnum has a LOT more power than 9mm due to velocity and mass.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Deep,
      There are two concerns with ballistic impacts - penetration and spreading the force out of the impact so that you don't have catastrophic internal injuries. Most likely, your PASGT flak jacket is level I - it will stop small fragments and shrapnel from grenades. You can add pockets to carry armor plates, and while the armor plates may stop penetration of particular bullets, I don't know if the jacket design will facilitate spreading out the force so you don't die of internal injuries.

If you really want to be sure and you need the protection due to the occupational hazards of your job, I'd spend the extra couple hundred bucks to get a new vest. Another consideration is that the protection of vests decrease over time as dirt, oils, and other substances penetrate into the jacket and become to breakdown the fibers. Even if the flak jacket you currently have had IIA protection at some point, it is very possible that it has deteriorated over time.

Here's a site with more information and see if you can't get Sniper to answer some questions since he's actually purchased his own armor for his repo job.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballist...n_Levels.shtml
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

thanks guy:), actualy, i bought my vest on ebay and received it yesterday...its supposed to be new and it looks like too. I knew that pasgt wasn't that strong but a level I is not that effective. Well i hope it will not be completely useless and will somehow help if i get shot.
        thx

Comment

Trauma plates are plates of laminated ceramic, similar to the material that makes blades of REALLY good ceramic-bladed knives (The ones where you don't have to sharpen them for more than a hunered years; in fact the knife will grind down knife sharpeners). It's got a hardness of 9.8, and it'll stop mostly any bullets, even high-powered sniper rifle bullets (the impact will probably still kill you, since the force is so great).
          They are heavy and dont' ventillate well, but hey, it's much better than having your stomach explode.

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
            Trauma plates are plates of laminated ceramic, similar to the material that makes blades of REALLY good ceramic-bladed knives (The ones where you don't have to sharpen them for more than a hunered years; in fact the knife will grind down knife sharpeners). It's got a hardness of 9.8, and it'll stop mostly any bullets, even high-powered sniper rifle bullets (the impact will probably still kill you, since the force is so great).
            They are heavy and dont' ventillate well, but hey, it's much better than having your stomach explode.
            SD411,
            There are steel plates on the market as well, they just aren't as light. Also, I would classify ceramic plates as not ventilating at all. However, it is the vest that generates most of the heat due to poor ventilation - the plates add weight, which increase exertion, which increases your body temperature.
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Is it true that these trauma plates only block a single hit because they break in to peaces to absorb the energy of the bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by Mt1
                Is it true that these trauma plates only block a single hit because they break in to peaces to absorb the energy of the bullet?
                Depends on the design. If the design is a continual layer of ceramic, then the answer is yes, you are only guaranteed a single hit. If the design consists of multiple embedded ceramic "tiles", then you lose protection only in the area where the smaller tiles were hit. I believe that most plates are of the continuous design, as the other process is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                  Depends on the design. If the design is a continual layer of ceramic, then the answer is yes, you are only guaranteed a single hit. If the design consists of multiple embedded ceramic "tiles", then you lose protection only in the area where the smaller tiles were hit. I believe that most plates are of the continuous design, as the other process is expensive.
                  Thank you for that information.

Comment

i'm confuse now, is the blunt trauma more dangerous than getting shot at with no vest at all? pasgt is that bad...?

Comment

Originally posted by deep)
                      i'm confuse now, is the blunt trauma more dangerous than getting shot at with no vest at all? pasgt is that bad...?
                      No. Some protection is better than none. However, you should be aware that plates are designed to complement specific systems, and if you use them outside of their intended design, you may or may not receive the same level of protection. You'll have to decide whether or not you are comfortable with the level of protection your vest provides.

Comment

thx, i would like to get trauma plates but my pasgt has no pockets for them. Well, at least its better than nothing.

Comment

If you want a cheap vest with pockets and Level IIa protection, go with the German vest that comes in the Flectar camo. I guess you could dye it black if you want to.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

It'd be awesome if you watched some Modern Marvels on the History channel about this stuff - They've got one on bulletproof, and that's where I found out about ceramic body armor.

Comment

I have the same PASGT-V, it's IIA. There is a ISAPO or Interim Small Arms Protective Overvest that is made for the PASGT for extra protection.

The PASGT is a IIA vest by itself, adding the ISAPO makes it IIIA.

The AVC or Armored Vehicle Crewman vest is IA.

IBA is IIIIA w/ plates.
                              Last edited by Weps; 28 Sep 05,, 22:55.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X