PDA

View Full Version : What Book Are You Reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

leib10
23 Sep 05,, 21:45
Simple. Just list the book you're reading at the time of posting.

I just finished Panzer Commander by Oberst Hans von Luck. Excellent read, I highly recommend it.

THL
23 Sep 05,, 21:49
Just finished Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-Boat Battles of World War II (Herbert Werner). Now I am reading Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans).

Amled
23 Sep 05,, 22:00
Two right now, I'll list the one in English, as the Danish one wouldn't mean much to most of you:
Quantrill's War - The Life and Times of William Clarke Quantrill (Duane Schultz)

TopHatter
23 Sep 05,, 22:02
Just finished Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-Boat Battles of World War II (Herbert Werner).

My lovely Liberal has excellent taste in reading subjects :biggrin:

I'm currently re-reading several books, since I have not bought or checked out from the library anything new.

I think my next re-read will be The Arms of Krupp by William Manchester.
He biographies are so packed with minutae that I always pick up a few nuggets of new information the next time I read it.

Praxus
23 Sep 05,, 22:43
I'm finishing up Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. After that I'm reading The Capitalist Manifesto by Andrew Bernstein. Then after that I'm reading Theogony by Hesoid. There is so much I want to read, yet so little time :frown:

leib10
23 Sep 05,, 22:53
I've always been interested in the philosophy of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, especially his work on Stoicism.

giggs88
23 Sep 05,, 22:55
Eye Of The Needle - by Ken Follet

and then this book called,

"If I die in a combat zone, box me up and ship me home" by Tim O' Brien. I think I got the name of the book right.

sparten
24 Sep 05,, 16:34
Henry VIII by Alison Weir.

Recently finished Nixon by Stephan Ambrose.

TopHatter
24 Sep 05,, 18:45
Decided to wait on The Arms of Krupp until I have a chance to finish plowing though Blue at the Mizzen by Patrick O'Brian

Lunatock
24 Sep 05,, 21:40
Currently reading Chechnya: To The Heart Of A Conflict -Andrew Meier

After that:

In The Rose Garden Of The Martyrs -Chris de Bellaigue
Mail Call -Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey
A book of poems by Rumi
A Mile In Their Shoes -Aaron Elson
Band Of Brothers -Stephen Ambrose
Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography -Victoria Price
Beowulf
The Prince -Machiavelli
Teeth Of The Tiger & Red Rabbit -Tom Clancy

Broken
25 Sep 05,, 00:52
Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan.
Although Kaplan is too much an empiro-phile for my tastes, it's a good fast read.

The Persian Expedition by Xenophon.
A fun little military adventure story on the Euphrates river, even if it is 2400 years old.

JG73
25 Sep 05,, 02:55
"Kampf dem Terror - Kampf dem Islam?"(War on terror - War on islam?) by Peter Scholl-Latour.

leib10
30 Sep 05,, 22:07
Berlin Dance of Death by Helmut Altner.

Asim Aquil
30 Sep 05,, 22:23
The Sky is Falling - Sidney Sheldon started today.

TopHatter
01 Oct 05,, 01:29
Berlin Dance of Death by Helmut Altner.

Leibstandarte, have you read Otto Carius' Tigers In The Mud?
Bought it off Amazon about a year ago. Really good read.

leib10
01 Oct 05,, 02:02
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. It was an excellent book. I've read probably 90% of all WWII German memoirs. I'm starting to read a lot more books on Vietnam.

TopHatter
01 Oct 05,, 02:06
I've read probably 90% of all WWII German memoirs.

Silly me, I should have guessed :redface:

leib10
01 Oct 05,, 02:10
Heh, I've always found the German side of the war the most interesting and one of the least covered, although recently this has gotten better.

TopHatter
01 Oct 05,, 18:40
Heh, I've always found the German side of the war the most interesting and one of the least covered, although recently this has gotten better.

Can't remember if I mentioned this before...
A buddy of mine was at a convention and talked to General Adolf Galland and got his copy of Galland's book autographed. I guess it was a meet and greet/autograph thing, but I wish I could have met him, he was a real pistol.

leib10
01 Oct 05,, 19:03
Yep, Galland was known for his charisma and charm. His personal insignia early in the war was a gun-toting, cigar-chomping version of Mickey Mouse.

TopHatter
01 Oct 05,, 20:33
Yep, Galland was known for his charisma and charm. His personal insignia early in the war was a gun-toting, cigar-chomping version of Mickey Mouse.

He also looked like a really rakish rogue :biggrin:

Bluesman
02 Oct 05,, 00:17
He also looked like a really rakish rogue :biggrin:

That dude was pure fighter pilot. All the swagger, attitude, confidence, talent and sheer fearlessness one could cram into a human frame.

Not many can carry that off with such style. He did, and even in defeat, you just knew he was a winner.

Bluesman
02 Oct 05,, 00:21
Right now, I'm reading, "The Lifestyle: The Erotic Rites of Swingers".

Just finished "Why the Germans Lose at War".

Before that, "Sharpe's Fortress".

Sociology, History, Fiction...Amazon doesn't know WHAT to recommend to me anymore! :biggrin:

THL
02 Oct 05,, 17:32
So that is inthe Sociology section at B. Dalton, really? I would have thought more toward Self-Help or Instructional.

;)

TopHatter
02 Oct 05,, 17:58

Why not just go to Ft Lauderdale and do some in-person research? ;)

Repatriated Canuck
03 Oct 05,, 11:01
The Sharp Series is an exciting read eh Bluesman. :biggrin:

Right now I am reading

Winston Churchill
SOLDIER

The Military Life of a Gentleman at War

by Douglas S. Russell

I love that man even more now. I had no idea how tough he really was.

Bluesman
03 Oct 05,, 13:28
Why not just go to Ft Lauderdale and do some in-person research? ;)

You're not asking me out on a date, are you, cowboy? ;)

Bluesman
03 Oct 05,, 13:28
So that is inthe Sociology section at B. Dalton, really? I would have thought more toward Self-Help or Instructional.

;)

HAH! :biggrin:

Bluesman
03 Oct 05,, 13:32
The Sharp Series is an exciting read eh Bluesman. :biggrin:

Right now I am reading

Winston Churchill
SOLDIER

The Military Life of a Gentleman at War

by Douglas S. Russell

I love that man even more now. I had no idea how tough he really was.

I'm not as fond of the 'Sharpe' series as I am of 'The Flashman Papers', or O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series. But they're good, no doubt.

As for Winnie the Pooh, that man was a WARRIOR, in the literal sense, and politically, too. He's a hero, and I do not think it overstates the case to say that he saved Western civilization, when nobody else would or could have.

Greatest man of the 20th Century, going away.

TopHatter
03 Oct 05,, 19:46
You're not asking me out on a date, are you, cowboy? ;)

Not a chance flyboy :biggrin:
Suggest to the Lieutenant a weekend out....see what she says ;)

Bluesman
03 Oct 05,, 20:12
Not a chance flyboy :biggrin:
Suggest to the Lieutenant a weekend out....see what she says ;)

Ya know, we really should get together, bein' as how we're dam' near neighbors. (Just platonical, of course. :biggrin: )

When are you going to be in Tampa next?

THL
03 Oct 05,, 21:12
Ya know, we really should get together, bein' as how we're dam' near neighbors. (Just platonical, of course. :biggrin: )

When are you going to be in Tampa next?
Not a chance - I tried to get him to take me up to Tampa to see that Victory ship when I am down there at the end of the month since it is not like I get to FL everyday...nope. *sigh*

He did want to go up in Novemeber when it goes on cruise again...I may have talked him into waiting until January or March when I can come back down and going together. But the way you two have been talking, if you guys want to go on the cruise together-don't let me stop you. ;)

Bluesman
03 Oct 05,, 21:40

Well, maybe I can talk Lt. Bluesman into an RON in Ft. Myers sometime soon. TH, if we came on over, would you want to show us your town?

TopHatter
03 Oct 05,, 22:06

Well, maybe I can talk Lt. Bluesman into an RON in Ft. Myers sometime soon. TH, if we came on over, would you want to show us your town?

Shyt yeah! Not much to see really. I guess the Edison/Ford thing...though I've been here for 7 years and havent bothered. Mostly we go to various establishments to consume alcoholic beverages, laugh, joke, tell stories, and end up in the parking lot...with the girls flashing passers-by

Well, all but the last part usually :redface:

And yes, I will be waiting for my THL before I take the Victory ship cruise.
Guys, make all the PW comments you want, frankly I don't give a flying fcuk. :biggrin:

Wraith601
06 Oct 05,, 07:14
Currently I'm reading Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. Next I'm going to proably pick up John McCain's memoir Faith of My Fathers and eventually I'm going to get One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick.

Leader
06 Oct 05,, 07:17
New Glory: Expanding America's Global Supremacy by Ralph Peters and numerous works of Fantasy and SiFi

giggs88
06 Oct 05,, 07:39
Currently I'm reading Jarhead by Anthony Swofford.
Is it any good? I'm just gonna wait for the movie. :biggrin:

Currently, I'm reading a book called:

Trail of Feathers: In Search Of The Birdmen Of Peru

by Tahir Shah

SuperFlanker
06 Oct 05,, 08:04
I'm currently reading Prey, by Michael Crichton. Those of you who are into science fiction and/or engineering/computer science will probably like this book.

leib10
06 Oct 05,, 15:59
I have that book at my house, probably given to me by one person or another. I never got around to reading it.

Wraith601
07 Oct 05,, 07:35
Is it any good? I'm just gonna wait for the movie. :biggrin:

Currently, I'm reading a book called:

Trail of Feathers: In Search Of The Birdmen Of Peru

by Tahir Shah

I'm only about 100 pages in but all he does is complain about how much he hates the military and the Marines in particular. Some of his complaints do sound valid but overall I think the author has an very poor attitude.

Karthik
07 Oct 05,, 13:19
I'm reading ' Yes, Prime Minister ' by Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay.

I'd watched the show on TV when I was 14. I couldn't comprehend most of that show. The book's really hilarious ! :)

Dreadnought
01 Nov 05,, 19:05
Technical Physics 2 for about 2-1/2 more months...lol :biggrin:

Lunatock
01 Nov 05,, 19:39
Still reading Mail Call, still have a long list of books to read behind it. But I want to add Enemies Foriegn & Domestic, and Unintended Consequences to the stack.

giggs88
07 Nov 05,, 18:43
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/masters.jpg

I just got that book today. Can't WAIT to read it.

dalem
07 Nov 05,, 20:24
Re-reading "Angel in the Whirlwind" by Benson Bobrick.

Wonderful book on the American Revolutionary War.

-dale

leib10
09 Nov 05,, 01:08
Just finished The Inferno by Dante Alighieri.

giggs88
09 Nov 05,, 03:06
Got another great book today from the B&N.

U.S. Special Forces, Airborne Rangers, Delta, and U.S. Navy SEALs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0760307784/ref=sib_rdr_zmin/103-9989050-3483835?p=S001&j=1#reader-page

ChrisF202
09 Nov 05,, 12:39

VERY good book. You will enjoy it.

Mine:

The Death of the West - Pat Buchanan
Six Silent Men - Reynel Martinez
The Night of the Silver Stars - ?

giggs88
09 Nov 05,, 21:26
VERY good book. You will enjoy it.

I know. I've gotten to the "Earning the beret" part and I've enjoyed it A LOT so far.

JG73
11 Nov 05,, 13:35

Is it only about US special forces or does it also mention SAS or KSK and so on? I'm thinking of buying that book but I'm sceptical because it's written by a woman.

667medic
11 Nov 05,, 13:57
Currently reading DIPLOMACY by Henry Kissinger
Plan to read Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchins later....

giggs88
11 Nov 05,, 21:30
Is it only about US special forces
Yep. It's ONLY about the "Green Berets". Special Forces in general refers to ONLY the "green berets". No SAS or anything else in here. Except if they were mentioned in a mission.

It is written by a woman, but I like the book because there are real characters (SF operators) in the book rather than it just being a boring profile and history of the "green berets".

I found the chapter of their recent missions in Afghanistan really fascinating.

Don't buy the book if you want profiles of SOF units. Infact, don't even by a book, because you can find detailed profiles of what those units do on the internet.

JG73
12 Nov 05,, 11:44
Yep. It's ONLY about the "Green Berets". Special Forces in general refers to ONLY the "green berets". No SAS or anything else in here. Except if they were mentioned in a mission.

It is written by a woman, but I like the book because there are real characters (SF operators) in the book rather than it just being a boring profile and history of the "green berets".

I found the chapter of their recent missions in Afghanistan really fascinating.

Don't buy the book if you want profiles of SOF units. Infact, don't even by a book, because you can find detailed profiles of what those units do on the internet.

THX. So it is not very detailed? More an action book?

So if I could recommend a book to you all I would recommend all books of Peter Scholl-Latour. In my Eyes he's one of the best middle east experts in the world who knows everybody from Collin Powell to Ayatollah Khomeini personally.

giggs88
12 Nov 05,, 12:53
THX. So it is not very detailed? More an action book?
A little of both. But more action oriented.

So if I could recommend a book to you all I would recommend all books of Peter Scholl-Latour. In my Eyes he's one of the best middle east experts in the world who knows everybody from Collin Powell to Ayatollah Khomeini personally.

I'll check him out.

Samudra
16 Nov 05,, 17:30
I downloaded "A Childs History of England" by Charles Dickens yesterday and read the first four chapters...

But I cant remember the names at all. :frown:

Lunatock
16 Nov 05,, 17:51
Still reading Mail Call. But ye another book I wis to buy is Christopher's Lee's autobiagraphy, The Lord Of Misrule. Think I'll go with the paperback version. Lower cover price and more pages, and thus a smaller royalty for the lord of misrule...but by his own design.

TopHatter
16 Nov 05,, 18:59
Mail Call -Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey

I got me a nice copy autographed by the Gunny :)

Just the kind you get in the mail though :frown:

Lunatock
17 Nov 05,, 20:15
I got me a nice copy autographed by the Gunny :)

Just the kind you get in the mail though :frown:

Is it any different than copies for sale in book stores?

THL
17 Nov 05,, 21:13
My small room mate has a fever and I was called to pick her up from daycare because of it, but there is a lot going on here at work that I cannot do from home so I brought her back here. I just took a break and read "David Gets In Trouble". It's a good read if any of you should find the time. Only takes about 2 minutes to read.

:tongue:

Praxus
17 Nov 05,, 23:00
I just read The Inferno, the first part of Dante Alighieri's work - The Divine Comedy and Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Right now I'm reading State of Fear by Michael Crichton, the characters are simplistic, as you might expect from a pop-novel, but the story is both compelling and entertaining.

Ray
18 Nov 05,, 01:17
Wonder what book Bulgar is reading!

THL
18 Nov 05,, 02:13
Wonder what book Bulgar is reading!
Philosophy 101 followed by Philosophy For Dummies and I Was A Teenage Philosopher

Parihaka
18 Nov 05,, 02:39
Philosophy 101 followed by Philosophy For Dummies and I Was A Teenage Philosopher
teenage mutant ninja philosophers

THL
18 Nov 05,, 02:43
It Was A Real Book!! I had no idea!

Ray
18 Nov 05,, 06:19
You sure have gored the bull and have started a tetonic clash!
Bullgoretetonic! :tongue:

TopHatter
18 Nov 05,, 15:09
Is it any different than copies for sale in book stores?
No, just the Gunny's autograph. It's rather silly in a way, but hey, who cares? :)

Samudra
18 Nov 05,, 15:32
I bought this book..

http://tinypic.com/fuurzo.jpg

Its about the Upanishads which are part of the Hindu Shruti scriptures which primarily discuss meditation and philosophy :tongue: and are seen as religious instructions by most schools of Hinduism.

Dont worry, I'm not going to read them any soon. :biggrin:

THL
18 Nov 05,, 15:47
You sure have gored the bull and have started a tetonic clash!
Bullgoretetonic! :tongue:
Ole' !!!

Dreadnought
18 Nov 05,, 16:40
A million and a half ways to disassemble a nuclear warhead ;)

barrowaj
18 Nov 05,, 17:53
I'm about halfway through Guns Germs and Steel, but having to read Robbins Pathology and hundreds of pages of course notes has pretty much halted my recreational reading. Its a shame but by the end of the day all I can do is veg with the TV.

Its really cool that you guys read so much. If you have time, I recommend reading 2001: A Space Odyssey. Yeah, I know I know, the movie is boring, trust me the book isn't. Its very short, and is different from the movie. You will like it.

Bluesman
19 Nov 05,, 13:30
I'm about halfway through Guns Germs and Steel, but having to read Robbins Pathology and hundreds of pages of course notes has pretty much halted my recreational reading. Its a shame but by the end of the day all I can do is veg with the TV.

Its really cool that you guys read so much. If you have time, I recommend reading 2001: A Space Odyssey. Yeah, I know I know, the movie is boring, trust me the book isn't. Its very short, and is different from the movie. You will like it.

Read it a long time ago, and I loved it. Really made me think.

Most influential book in my life has been 'Atlas Shrugged', by Ayn Rand. Wow.

TopHatter
19 Nov 05,, 15:17
I was given that book before I left IL for FL. Never got around to reading it.

I've just received 3 books from Amazon.com

First up is Shattered Sword, a fresh look at the Battle of Midway.
I've written a review on the History Forum

After that is Operation K: The Second Bombing of Pearl Harbor

Finally, a brand new book on the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.

Bluesman
19 Nov 05,, 15:42
I was given that book before I left IL for FL. Never got around to reading it.

I've just received 3 books from Amazon.com

First up is Shattered Sword, a fresh look at the Battle of Midway.
I've written a review on the History Forum

After that is Operation K: The Second Bombing of Pearl Harbor

Finally, a brand new book on the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot.

Well, 'Atlas' is a helluva big commitment, but I've never gotten as much from a book before or since. If you can commit to it...go ahead and start it. Amazing.

Praxus
19 Nov 05,, 17:42

Don't waste your time with that garbage, it ignores the cultural elements in the advancement of the west. I recommend reading Victor Davis Hanson's Carnage and Culture.

Praxus
19 Nov 05,, 17:42

Me too! It takes a long while to read the one thousand page book, but it is well worth it.

JG73
19 Nov 05,, 18:53
Currently I'm reading "KSK - Das Kommando Spezialkräfte der Bundeswehr" by Reinhard Scholzen.

Lunatock
19 Nov 05,, 20:48
No, just the Gunny's autograph. It's rather silly in a way, but hey, who cares? :)

The Gunny might be next for an autograph hunt. Currently waiting for something to be returned by Dario Argento, and I think that after waiting almost six months Inna Korobkina stole a DVD case from me. :)

leib10
24 Nov 05,, 17:36
Grenadiers by Kurt "Panzermeyer" Meyer.

sparten
24 Nov 05,, 18:10
Shattered Sword, a fresh look at the Battle of Midway
Any good?

Parihaka
24 Nov 05,, 22:41
Subspace explorers, by E E Doc Smith. Dalem made me.

TopHatter
25 Nov 05,, 03:22
Any good?
Absolutely! Just finished it in fact.

Check out my review in the History Forum :redface:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=9343

leib10
29 Nov 05,, 04:02
I just finished Grenadiers. A truly fantastic book about a man who possessed some of the traits that make a truly great officer: courage, intelligence, aggressiveness, skillfulness, determination in the face of impossible odds, and most of all sincere devotion to the men under his command. Here's to Oberführer Kurt "Panzermeyer" Meyer!

Gautam
30 Nov 05,, 21:15
India in the World Order: Searching for Major-power Status (Contemporary South Asia S.)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521528755/qid=1133381697/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/203-1613424-5197530
Two highly regarded scholars come together to examine India's relationship with the world's major powers and its own search for a significant role in the international system. Central to the argument is India's belief that the acquisition of an independent nuclear capability is key to obtaining such status. The book details the major constraints at the international, domestic and perceptual levels that India has faced in this endeavor. It concludes, through a detailed comparison of India's power capabilities, that India is indeed a rising power, but that significant systemic and domestic changes will be necessary before it can achieve its goal. The book examines the prospects and implications of India's integration into the major-power system in the twenty-first century. Given recent developments, the book is extremely timely. Its incisive analysis will be illuminating for students, policy makers, and for anyone wishing to understand the region in greater depth.

giggs88
30 Nov 05,, 23:48
Canterbury Tales by Chaucer.

Lunatock
01 Dec 05,, 01:25
Rumi The Book Of Love. A collection of poems by Rumi, that oddly enough I bought at the same time as Mail Call the book.

giggs88
12 Dec 05,, 01:16
Moving Mountains: Lessons in Leadership and Logistics from the Gulf War

by Lt General. William G. Pagonis.

leib10
12 Dec 05,, 05:54
The Jungle is Neutral by F. Spencer Chapman.

JG73
13 Dec 05,, 09:09
Next days I'm going to start reading:
"Soldier Five: The Real Truth About the Bravo Two Zero Mission" by Mike Coburn

Commando
13 Dec 05,, 11:12
"The Bear and The Dragon", Tom Clancy

Ray
13 Dec 05,, 15:40
Insurgency in India's North East by Lt Gen John Mukherjee, PVSM, AVSM, VSM (Retd), Anthem Publisher.

He is from the ASSAM Regiment and married to a Mizo lady.

The book is very forthright and he says it as it is!

Officer of Engineers
13 Dec 05,, 15:52
Dr Seux - The Cat In the Hat and the Grinch who Stole Christmas.

THL
13 Dec 05,, 16:35
Dr Seux - The Cat In the Hat and the Grinch who Stole Christmas.
Sir, I just finished 'The Grinch' - you are really going to like it - there is a great twist at the end!
:)

Dreadnought
13 Dec 05,, 19:00
Done with Tech Physics1 for a month then on to Physics2 now I picked up another edition of encyclopedia of Battleships at Boarders for 5.99 on sale :biggrin: gotta love it.

dalem
13 Dec 05,, 19:22
Finishing up MacDonald's "A Time for Trumpets". A great overview of the Battle of the Bulge. I dunno what I'm going to pick up next.

-dale

Gautam
13 Dec 05,, 23:56
Starting Narratives of Emergency in Delhi (Emergency imposed in India in Late 1970's) by Indira Gandhi.

Blademaster
14 Dec 05,, 00:46
Starting Narratives of Emergency in Delhi (Emergency imposed in India in Late 1970's) by Indira Gandhi.

Ok tell me. Are you being punished or what? Did you piss off your mother or father or something like that? Did you offend God or what?

Parihaka
14 Dec 05,, 01:09
Finishing up MacDonald's "A Time for Trumpets". A great overview of the Battle of the Bulge. I dunno what I'm going to pick up next.

-dale
Might I recommend Cryptonomicon, followed by the trilogy 'The Baroque Cycle' comprising Quicksilver, Confusion and the System Of The World, all by Neal Stephenson. That should keep you busy for a while.

Kid<2>Nite
14 Dec 05,, 06:10
My lovely Liberal has excellent taste in reading subjects :biggrin:

I'm currently re-reading several books, since I have not bought or checked out from the library anything new.

I think my next re-read will be The Arms of Krupp by William Manchester.
He biographies are so packed with minutae that I always pick up a few nuggets of new information the next time I read it.

I'm in the middle of "Blind Man's Bluff - The untold story of American submarine espionage" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew

Another good read, where you will recognize many of the names mentioned and/or quoted.

longcat
14 Dec 05,, 06:25
I just finished reading The Catcher in The Rye for school.

Gautam
14 Dec 05,, 21:22
Ok tell me. Are you being punished or what? Did you piss off your mother or father or something like that? Did you offend God or what?
????

Am I supposed 2 laugh on that or :confused: or should I bang my head against the wall??

Praxus
14 Dec 05,, 23:04
Now I'm reading The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian.

Parihaka
14 Dec 05,, 23:16
I've got nothing new to read so I've started again on
Shackleton's Boat Journey by Frank Arthur Worsley
and
The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes: The Story of George Scovell by Mark Urban.
Next, A Near Run Thing by David Howarth which I started last year and then lost and re-found last month but thought I'd redo George Scovell first to get back in the mood.

Wraith601
15 Dec 05,, 04:58
Just finished A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan and I'm starting JOhn Grisham's The Broker.

That should hold me over until Christmas when I have about 5 books coming.

leib10
20 Dec 05,, 01:37
The Jungle Is Neutral by F. Spencer Chapman (Guerilla Tactics 101).

Bluesman
20 Dec 05,, 04:06
Just finished A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan...

What an EXCELLENT book! I was riveted from front cover to back; it was a page-turner.

TopHatter
20 Dec 05,, 16:54
THL bought me "The Coming of The Third Reich".

What more can any guy ask of a girl? How did I ever get so lucky? :)

THL
20 Dec 05,, 17:06

It was a diversion to keep you from stealing my books. :tongue:

TopHatter
20 Dec 05,, 17:11
It was a diversion to keep you from stealing my books. :tongue:
Oh you mean like Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II? :)

Guys, how many girls do you know that have their own copy of a Jane's publication? :tongue:

(I have a friend down here in FL that just loves to tell me how I'm the only one she knows that reads about that stuff....looks like she's wrong :biggrin: )

THL
20 Dec 05,, 17:15
Oh you mean like Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II? :)

Guys, how many girls do you know that have their own copy of a Jane's publication? :tongue:

(I have a friend down here in FL that just loves to tell me how I'm the only one she knows that reads about that stuff....looks like she's wrong :biggrin: )
No...I meant like Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Manners and Preschool Confidential.

:)

Besides, Janes doesn't count - it was a gift. It is not as though I woke up one morning and ran out in search of it.

Bluesman
20 Dec 05,, 17:20
Y'all notice THL's new icon?

Almost there...

:cool:

THL
20 Dec 05,, 17:37
Y'all notice THL's new icon?

Almost there...

:cool:
That's my revolving door from the left to the right side.

TopHatter
20 Dec 05,, 17:42
No...I meant like Clifford the Big Red Dog: Clifford's Manners and Preschool Confidential.

I DID take them, you just haven't noticed yet. :tongue:

Lunatock
20 Dec 05,, 17:48
Currently reading A Mile In Their Shoes. A book full of interviews of WW2 Tankers that the author signed and gave me free of charge, after blowing all my money on the audio CD's he was selling.

...and if Bluesman proves useless, maybe redoubling efforts to find more info about my Grandfathers service record from WW2 though Aaron Elson could work. :tongue:

Though it is a shame he passed away when I was about four, and his experiences from WW2 were less acceptable at that age than Jaws was.

Bluesman
20 Dec 05,, 19:25
Currently reading A Mile In Their Shoes. A book full of interviews of WW2 Tankers that the author signed and gave me free of charge, after blowing all my money on the audio CD's he was selling.

...and if Bluesman proves useless, maybe redoubling efforts to find more info about my Grandfathers service record from WW2 though Aaron Elson could work. :tongue:

Though it is a shame he passed away when I was about four, and his experiences from WW2 were less acceptable at that age than Jaws was.

Dammit! Sorry, I meant to reply to that PM, and forgot. I'll answer it tonight. Right now, HO HO HO, I've got to get some last shopping stops done.

Lunatock
20 Dec 05,, 19:27
Take your time and worry about personal Holiday business. Either someone will turn something up on this mortal coil, or I'll shuffle off it and then get to ask the man himself. ;)

Dreadnought
20 Dec 05,, 19:48
Guys, how many girls do you know that have their own copy of a Jane's publication?

:biggrin: Wow im impressed Does she have cute sisters too? ;)

THL
20 Dec 05,, 21:23
Guys, how many girls do you know that have their own copy of a Jane's publication?

:biggrin: Wow im impressed Does she have cute sisters too? ;)
Unfortunately, My sister would not know what Janes was about if someone sat down and read the captions to her.

She would most likely ask where Dick and Spot were at before asking, "Now what exactly do you mean by battleship? Like the game?"

TopHatter
21 Dec 05,, 04:48
Unfortunately, My sister would not know what Janes was about if someone sat down and read the captions to her.

She would most likely ask where Dick and Spot were at before asking, "Now what exactly do you mean by battleship? Like the game?"
Her sister really is a very sweet person......just in the "free-spirit" sort of way :)

leib10
21 Dec 05,, 08:05

I hope my GF/wife is that cool. :biggrin:

Ballguy
24 Dec 05,, 21:00
Parting the Waters: America in the King Years, 1954-63
By Taylor Branch

giggs88
25 Dec 05,, 10:12
I <3 my mom. Look at all the books I got. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/TORULETHEWAVES.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/GURKHAS.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/SHADOWWARRIORS.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/AmericanSpartans.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/GreenBerets.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/royalmarinebook.jpg

Hell yes.

TopHatter
01 Jan 06,, 15:29
I <3 my mom. Look at all the books I got. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/giggs88/TORULETHEWAVES.jpg
Great book! Bought and read it a couple months ago and ironically just started reading it again last night. :)

THL
25 Jan 06,, 17:55
Just finished Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-Boat Battles of World War II (Herbert Werner). Now I am reading Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans).
I am re-reading Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans). I have been getting this from the library, but I think that if I can remember to do so, I may look on Amazon and just buy the darn thing. If any of you are even remotely interested in oil/energy, this is pretty good. It starts way back at the beginning with Rockafeller and all the little companies merging and un-merging (?) and then goes into conflicts and results of stupid things people have done. Not too long so it is also a pretty quick read.

A book warehouse was going out of business by me last week so my little one and I went in there and bought quite a bit. One of the books she picked out is called Mouse and Cat: A Delicious Tale. It is rather disturbing. It is about the mouse and cat that are friends and then one day someone gives cat a cookbook and he realizes that mouse would be rather tasty. :frown:

THL
14 Oct 07,, 03:37
Walter The Farting Dog

Yes, I really am reading tales about a farting dog to my 5 year old. :rolleyes:

sappersgt
14 Oct 07,, 03:57
Gee, I'm not reading about anything so interesting as a farting dog!:tongue:

Just finished War On The Western Front by Dr Gary Sheffield and am now reading World Without End by Ken Follett.

Shek
14 Oct 07,, 04:08
I just finished reading Amazon.com: The Wisdom of Crowds: Books: James Surowiecki (http://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Crowds-James-Surowiecki/dp/0385721706/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0438121-3920159?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192327537&sr=8-1).

A great book about how collective knowledge can outperform the smart individual if harnessed correctly. It is written very well, with short spurts of theoretical setup followed by interesting and intriguing anecdotes that illustrate the principle at hand. While it contains a lot of economics, it is focused mostly on behavioral economics, which is a blend of much more than just economics and certainly not on the dull side. I recommend it to anyone who has to work in groups or lead groups.

THL
14 Oct 07,, 06:55
Oh how I miss adult books...books where the words do not rhyme and the main characters only have two legs.

jame$thegreat
14 Oct 07,, 23:38
I was reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but I havn't found enough time to read it so I gave it back (borrowed it from the library). I am going to start Vortex by Larry Bond, which may sound familiar to sapper.:))

Southie
14 Oct 07,, 23:43
I'm back to re-reading "Tales From Margaritaville" - Jimmy Buffett. Needed some fun reading. I think I'm on my third time reading it! Fun way to travel through Jimmy's eyes.

sappersgt
15 Oct 07,, 00:49
I was reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but I havn't found enough time to read it so I gave it back (borrowed it from the library). I am going to start Vortex by Larry Bond, which may sound familiar to sapper.:)) Let me know when you get to the raid into Zimbabwe...:biggrin:

Monkey Business
15 Oct 07,, 06:32
Currently, I am reading a book by Jeffery Deaver, "The Garden of Beasts.", it's all about a Mafia "Button Man" getting contracted by the U.S Government to assassinate a high-ranking Nazi official. It's proving to be an entertaining little read.

I am also reading Halo: Fall of Reach for the second time. Not exactly going to net any literary awards, but it's a good way to zip through a day.

Repatriated Canuck
15 Oct 07,, 08:08
18 Hours by Sandra Lee

It's about Jock Wallace Australian SAS and 18 hours in a battle in Afganistan. Really good book!

adroth
09 Dec 07,, 20:12
Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan.
Although Kaplan is too much an empiro-phile for my tastes, it's a good fast read.

This was indeed a good read.

iamwill
14 Dec 07,, 04:10
going to pick up "kite runner" by khaled hosseni before i watch the movie

jame$thegreat
15 Dec 07,, 01:49
I recently read "Brutal" by Kevin Weeks. It's an autobiography about life within the Irish mob in Boston during the 70's-90's. Although Weeks is the greatest writer (he was a mob enforcer, not a writing major) the book is really interesting and had pretty decent attention to detail. I would reccomend it to anyone who has any intrest in organized crime or law enforcment. Definitely within my top 10 favorite books of all time.

Shek
15 Dec 07,, 03:00
I'm getting ready to tackle Amazon.com: Dynamics of Defeat: The Vietnam War in Hau Nghia Province: Books: Eric M. Bergerud (http://www.amazon.com/Dynamics-Defeat-Vietnam-Nghia-Province/dp/0813318742/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197683887&sr=8-1). Another long Vietnam book, but now I'm delving into more micro-level analysis.

HistoricalDavid
15 Dec 07,, 03:05
Wordsworth's Prelude. Very self-indulgent and repetitive with admittedly vivid imagery.

MKD
16 Dec 07,, 03:40
Hi, I'm new to the board and would definitely recommend Eric Bergerud's Vietnam book for Shek. I took a class from Bergerud a while back and he is very knowledgable.

The last book I read was Unintended Consequences: The United States at War by Ken Hagan and Ian Bickerton.

texacali
19 Dec 07,, 04:16
Maupassant's Short Stories. So far discussing the Prussian occupation of France in the 1800's.

furkensturker
19 Dec 07,, 14:44
I have just finished "the sword of Allah"

Book Review: Sword of Allah, by David A. Rollins (http://www.aussiereviews.com/article1613.html)

A great book that makes you stop and think.

Freddie

Frank_K
19 Dec 07,, 14:50
Finished the New Testament by someone who claims to be God, last week, finished Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift yesterday, started Slaughterhouse Five by kurt Vonnegut today.

mike nickeas
31 Dec 07,, 11:33
Military errors of WW2, Kenneth Macksey, Cassell books.

Happy new year everyone

mike

watnee
31 Dec 07,, 13:46
REFORMATION,Europe's house divided 1490-1700 by Diarmaid MacCulloch.

Albany Rifles
31 Dec 07,, 16:49
The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson. Volume 2 of his briliant Liberation Trilogy, the story of the US Army in Europe. Volume 1, An Army at Dawn, was about the US Army in North Africa. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for History.

Shek
04 Jan 08,, 14:05
Hi, I'm new to the board and would definitely recommend Eric Bergerud's Vietnam book for Shek. I took a class from Bergerud a while back and he is very knowledgable.

The last book I read was Unintended Consequences: The United States at War by Ken Hagan and Ian Bickerton.

MKD,
It's been an interesting read thus far. I liked his views on pointing out the flaws in Krepinevich's thesis. I'm not convinced yet on his thesis against CAPs as a solution to the village war (maybe I'm misreading him here). Anyways, it's nice to move beyond the macro-level books I've been reading and get down into the weeds. I'll tell you what, though, this is the longest 300 page book I've ever read :eek:

ShawnG
04 Jan 08,, 14:12
Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich by William L. Shirer.

Wanted to read it for years now, but spent 2 years in Afgh. and Iraq reading everything Michael Crichton, Dan Brown, and YES J.K. Rowling had to offer.

battleshipcpo
05 Jan 08,, 22:55
I am reading "Shadow Warriors" by Ken Timmerman. Utterly amazing that Pres. Bush left so many people in the government that hate his & my values but love the values of those that would kill us & our soldiers.

sappersgt
06 Jan 08,, 03:48
WEB Griffins "The Shooters".

Mobbme
06 Jan 08,, 04:03
The Beach by Alex Garland

Exarecr
10 Jan 08,, 20:04
Childhoods End, by Auther C. Clarke. About the arrival of a Superior species called the Overlords who micro-manage the direction of humanity as it rushes to it,s eventual end or rebirth depending on your point of view. Great sub-plots as different groups vie to view and expose the secretive aliens and their motives. Incredible description of earths and thus humanities bizzare ending in true Clarke fashion.

jame$thegreat
11 Jan 08,, 01:11
"If Democrats Had Any Brains They Would Be Republicans" by Ann Coulter, I know I'm a true WABer because I immediatly thought of Bluesman and Dale when I recieved it for Christmas. Decent book I want to read her other works now. I would reccomend to any Republican tired of hearing Republicans endlessly bashed in the media.

Southie
29 Jan 08,, 01:19
I've usually been so busy I haven't taken the time to read a book, only magazines. So I've decided to be a good influence on Ashley and I am going to start with the Harry Potter series.

BudW
29 Jan 08,, 01:31
The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson. Volume 2 of his briliant Liberation Trilogy, the story of the US Army in Europe. Volume 1, An Army at Dawn, was about the US Army in North Africa. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for History.
Sent the first one to my Uncle hes a veteran of North Africa,Sicily,Italy, 34th Red Bull Divison, 1-silver star, 2-purple hearts,and more, he was a medic.

Albany Rifles
29 Jan 08,, 14:58
I've usually been so busy I haven't taken the time to read a book, only magazines. So I've decided to be a good influence on Ashley and I am going to start with the Harry Potter series.

Started reading that series when I became a Scout leader....helped me relate to boys 9 - 15. Grew to love them as much as my son. Last summer at Boy Scout Summer Camp, our last day in Camp was the Saturday after the book came out at midnight. At morning formation the staff filed out and the Camp Director lead the way holding Volume 7 above his head like it was a procession. All the Scouts quieted down and then kind of went OOOOOOH!

Good stuff.

Albany Rifles
29 Jan 08,, 15:13
Sent the first one to my Uncle hes a veteran of North Africa,Sicily,Italy, 34th Red Bull Divison, 1-silver star, 2-purple hearts,and more, he was a medic.

Send him the second one soon...it is excellent as well.

I am currently reading [U]The Ghost Mountain Boys[U] It's the story of the Red Arrow Men, the 32d ID and the first battles in New Guinea. While the author is not an historian, he is a decent story teller. Would have loved for Atkinson to have given this battle a treatment.

Shek
23 May 08,, 21:48
I read this book yesterday. For anyone interested in American football, this is a must read.

Amazon.com: The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game: Michael Lewis: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Side-Evolution-Game/dp/039306123X/sr=8-2/qid=1169774049/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-5411793-6800900?ie=UTF8&s=books)

Here's an interview with the author on this book and Moneyball:
Michael Lewis on the Hidden Economics of Baseball and Football, EconTalk Permanent Podcast Link: Library of Economics and Liberty (http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2007/01/michael_lewis_o_1.html)

snc128
23 May 08,, 22:57
"the soldiers that changed history"
just started today with Oliver Cromwell.

firestar
13 Jun 08,, 18:47
Just finished reading:
Destroyer Captain: Lessons of a First Command

Nice account of a captain of Arleigh-burke class destroyer of the USN.

Starting this weekend:
It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy

dave lukins
13 Jun 08,, 18:49
"the soldiers that changed history"
just started today with Oliver Cromwell.

iyi sanslar!:))

Southie
13 Jun 08,, 19:22
"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. This book is on our summer reading list for all Advanced Planning Language students for next year! Ashley will be reading it and I am going to read it as well as "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

sappersgt
13 Jun 08,, 19:26
"Eight Lives Down" by Chris Hunter, the memoirs of a British ATO.

snc128
13 Jun 08,, 23:02
iyi sanslar!:))
I just cant understand why English people do not like him:confused:
He has done countless good things for England. Am I right?

Ray
14 Jun 08,, 05:38
Guide to Effective Military Writing.

OK, it is not a humorous book even if it is a work of marvellous fiction! :))

bolo121
14 Jun 08,, 08:41
Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner
Got derailed by Shattered Sword but am back on it now.

BD1
25 Jun 08,, 14:55
Just bought ´Rise and Fall of Third Reich´ by W.Shriver (sp:?), Latest Terry Pratchett´Making Money´, just finished H.Turtledoves last 3 books of ´Settling Accounts´-series (the first one was not on sale, damnation) and currently reading ´Moons gardens´ or ´Gardens of Moon´ - by some fantasy author previously unknown to me, after all of that ´Glory and the Dream´ by W.Manchester (again, for 4th time ?).

GAU-8
25 Jun 08,, 17:35
Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner
Got derailed by Shattered Sword but am back on it now.

I thought "Legacy of Ashes" was great.
It rewrites our understanding of the Cold War.

Finishing "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose.
Great book.
A close second to his master piece, "Undaunted Courage."

GAU-8
25 Jun 08,, 17:38
Just bought ´Rise and Fall of Third Reich´ by W.Shriver (sp:?)

William Shirer. Great book. If you like that one, also pick up "The Collapse Of The Third Republic" and "Berlin Diaries" by same author.

bolo121
26 Jun 08,, 06:15
I thought "Legacy of Ashes" was great.
It rewrites our understanding of the Cold War.

Finishing "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose.
Great book.
A close second to his master piece, "Undaunted Courage."

Yes it took me a long time to find it but was totally worth it.
I didnt like d-day all that much. Sure he had better sources and facts to work with but I always liked "The Longest Day", read it as a kid in high school.

Currently finished Shattered Sword and an excellent fantasy Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Very George RR Martin...
The First Law
The Blade Itself
The Last argument of Kings

Shadowsided
13 Jul 08,, 05:42
Haven't been on WAB for a while but I am currently reading Legacy of Ashes it's long and detailed but very engaging and extremely well documented.:)

Southie
13 Jul 08,, 14:15
I'm reading a series of books by Philippa Gregory. They are fact and fiction books about King Henry and the Boleyn family. So far I've read "The Other Boleyn Girl" about Mary Boleyn becoming the Kings "whore" and her sister, the "famous" Anne Boleyn becoming the King's fancy while Mary was pregnant with his second child. Anne was a "b*tch"! :)) Of course she only lasted 1,000 days before her pretty little head was whacked off with a sword.

The second book I read was "The Boleyn Inheritance", which revolved around Anne of Cleves (one of the only wives that either didn't get her head cut off or die early during childbirth), Jane Boleyn who betrayed Anne Boleyn and her brother George (who supposedly had an affair with Anne to try and produce an "heir" because old Henry just couldn't get the job done but blamed all his wives for it. And Katherine Boleyn, 15 years old when she married the King, and was pushed into having an affair (by Jane Boleyn) to try and make an heir since the King was near 50 and impotent. Punishment for adultry...beheading!

So, anyway, I've finished both books in quick time and will be off to the bookstore or library to get the next one!

Johnny W
14 Jul 08,, 02:27
Last book I read was "Six Frigates" by Ian Toll about the founding of the US Navy. Good book with some interesting details about the time period and the politics of the time.

I didn't realize there was so much anti american sentiment in England during the Napoleonic wars, although I guess I understand it since we were supplying both sides with goods and materials.

Kansas Bear
14 Jul 08,, 04:44
Currently finished Shattered Sword and an excellent fantasy Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Very George RR Martin...
The First Law
The Blade Itself
The Last argument of Kings

Really?

I enjoy Martin's books...... very indepth. Thanks for the info. I might check those out.

chankya
15 Jul 08,, 19:56
I'm reading "Defeat into Victory" by FM Slim. Very interesting read. I only wish it had better maps of Burma.

s_qwert63
24 Jul 08,, 06:43
Ruslan & Lyudmila - Aleksandr S. Pushkin

sappersgt
24 Jul 08,, 07:20
The Man With The Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove

Albany Rifles
24 Jul 08,, 15:34
Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West By William L. Shea, Earl J. Hess

Getting ready for my 4 state Civil War Trans-Mississippi tour this SEP.

GAU-8
24 Jul 08,, 17:47
"Raising The Hunley" by Brian Hicks and Schuyler Kropf.
Good read so far.
http://coastalndt.com/hunley2.jpg

1980s
27 Jul 08,, 15:06
Just started to read the book Persia in the Great Game: Sir Percy Sykes: Explorer, Consul, Soldier, Spy by Antony Wynn - Managed to get a copy of this book brand new at a very cheap price.

Enjoying reading it so far.

Buck
29 Jul 08,, 22:50
"Churchill Hitler and the Unnecesary War" by Pat Buchanan. There's a lot in there that I'd never heard of in re the Versailles Agreement imbroglio and how many times Hitler COULD have been stopped pre-1939.

GraniteForge
03 Aug 08,, 12:55
The Dust of Empire: The Race for Mastery in the Asian Heartland by Karl Ernest Meyer, and
Through the Wheat: The U.S. Marines in World War I by Edwin H. Simmons and Joseph H. Alexander

Bluesman
03 Aug 08,, 23:12
"Churchill Hitler and the Unnecesary War" by Pat Buchanan. There's a lot in there that I'd never heard of in re the Versailles Agreement imbroglio and how many times Hitler COULD have been stopped pre-1939.

Christopher Hitchens ripped the guts out of that one in one of the toughest reviews I've ever read. Devastating.

Gun Grape
04 Aug 08,, 03:45
I am re reading one of my favorite books of all time.

Atlas Shrugged.

Its been about 20 years since I last read it. Still a great book:)

Kansas Bear
04 Aug 08,, 03:57
Osman's Dream by Caroline Finkel

osage18
07 Aug 08,, 14:28
What's the matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank

GAU-8
14 Aug 08,, 22:16
Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara.
Historical novel about the Mexican-American War.

sappersgt
14 Aug 08,, 22:42
Castles, Battles & Bombs- How economics explains military history by Brauer and Van Tuyll

osage18
14 Aug 08,, 22:57
The Strongest Tribe -- Bing West

GAU-8
14 Aug 08,, 23:44
The Strongest Tribe -- Bing West

Can't wait to hear what you think of it when you're finished. I almost picked it up yesterday. Let us know.

Albany Rifles
15 Aug 08,, 14:25
Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara.
Historical novel about the Mexican-American War.

Just finished his The Steel Wave last night.

I'll start Kirby Smith's Confederacy: The Trans-Mississippi South, 1863-1865 by Robert L. Kerby

Still got that tour to get ready for!

osage18
15 Aug 08,, 17:31
West is a little too USMC focused, but that is understandable, given his background. Conceptually, he is saying all the right things IMO. I know that this is emotional for him, because he is writing in very short, powerful staccato sentences. Very rapid fire. He places blame and gives praise both. Many will come out of this villians, but more will be heroes.

Triple C
16 Aug 08,, 20:46
Max Hastings Armaggedon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-45. If anyone of you professionals or military history buffs have read it, I would be very interested to hear your opinions.

astralis
17 Aug 08,, 04:09
sapper sarge,

The Man With The Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove

what'd ya think of it?

i'm waiting for the next turtledove book to impress me, after the downfall (http://www.amazon.com/After-Downfall-Harry-Turtledove/dp/1597801305).

ArmchairGeneral
19 Aug 08,, 16:50
Rereading Middlemarch. I'd forgotten how brilliant that book is.

Kansas Bear
20 Aug 08,, 06:50
Reformation Europe, by Jensen.

Into the 2nd Chapter. Quite the read.

Shek
20 Aug 08,, 06:55
Amazon.com: Awakening Warrior: Revolution in the Ethics of Warfare (Suny Series, Ethics and the Military Profession): Timothy L. Challans: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-Warrior-Revolution-Military-Profession/dp/0791471268)

I haven't read enough to have an informed opinion of Challans argument.

sappersgt
20 Aug 08,, 08:16
sapper sarge,

what'd ya think of it?

i'm waiting for the next turtledove book to impress me, after the downfall (http://www.amazon.com/After-Downfall-Harry-Turtledove/dp/1597801305).

I liked it! It's plausible but I couldn't help but wonder how much of it was projection of more current events regarding the suicide bombers. I'm not that knowledgeable about post war politics to judge whether the effects of American occupation casualties would have had that much effect. I have some doubts.

I'm waiting with bated breath for After the Downfall.:cool:

brak
27 Aug 08,, 00:37
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4638/4125b4zvxhlsl500ig9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bolo121
27 Aug 08,, 06:47
Suprisingly good

Amazon.com: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War: Max Brooks: Books (http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Z-History-Zombie/dp/0307346609)

hagakuré
29 Aug 08,, 23:24
CAESAR by Adrian Goldsworthy

One of the best books I've ever read

JamesCash
01 Sep 08,, 22:42
I'm thinking about reading "The god delusion" by Richard Dawkins. Did anyone read it and liked it?

Andy-GER
01 Sep 08,, 23:23
Turnaround - Bill Bratton (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Turnaround/William-Bratton/e/9780679452515)

and

It doesn´t take a Hero - Schwarzkopf (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/It-Doesnt-Take-a-Hero/H-Norman-Schwarzkopf/e/9780553563382)

...to improve my English and to learn something ;)

Andy-GER
01 Sep 08,, 23:24
...and - of course - The Lord of the Rings, once a year :biggrin:

NapalmHeart
05 Sep 08,, 08:49
Grit, Noise, and Revolution: The Birth of Detroit Rock 'N' Roll by David A. Carson

thunderous
11 Sep 08,, 06:50
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll

LadyLawyer
22 Sep 08,, 08:09
I almost bought Ghost Wars tonight. It is the one book out I haven't read on Bin Laden.

The War Within ( I think that is the title) the latest Woodward book.

Ray
22 Sep 08,, 08:44
The Firm!

bengalraider
22 Sep 08,, 08:51
national geographic magazine november 2002 edition
special report on weapons of mass destruction.:biggrin:

xrough
22 Sep 08,, 09:09
I love to read Harry Potter and I'm reading the last book "The Deathly Hallows"...:biggrin::biggrin:

astralis
22 Sep 08,, 23:17
dies the fire (http://www.amazon.com/Dies-Fire-S-M-Stirling/dp/0451459792) series by SM Stirling. what if in an instant, 500 years of technology was made worthless? gunpowder, steam engine, electric machinery suddenly dies...and modern civilization falls to pieces. very interesting.

and also, island in the sea of time (http://www.amazon.com/Island-Sea-Time-S-Stirling/dp/0451456750). set in the same universe, but coming from another direction. what if the island of nantucket and its inhabitants was suddenly sent back to 1250 BC?

Cowman88
22 Sep 08,, 23:31
Gost - Jhon Ringo

sappersgt
22 Sep 08,, 23:47
dies the fire (http://www.amazon.com/Dies-Fire-S-M-Stirling/dp/0451459792) series by SM Stirling. what if in an instant, 500 years of technology was made worthless? gunpowder, steam engine, electric machinery suddenly dies...and modern civilization falls to pieces. very interesting.

and also, island in the sea of time (http://www.amazon.com/Island-Sea-Time-S-Stirling/dp/0451456750). set in the same universe, but coming from another direction. what if the island of nantucket and its inhabitants was suddenly sent back to 1250 BC?

The latest in the "Die The Fire" series "The Scourge Of God", I just finished. I did and still do like "Island In The Sea of Time". I think my favorite was "Conquistador".:cool:

byCowman88
Gost - Jhon Ringo

If you liked Ghost by Ringo then be sure to read Kildar and Choosers of the Slain. His latest, The Last Centurion, is excellent.

astralis
23 Sep 08,, 19:06
sappersgt,

The latest in the "Die The Fire" series "The Scourge Of God", I just finished.

well, if things ever go south like that, remind me to hunt you out so i can join your clan of bearkillers :biggrin:

T_igger_cs_30
23 Sep 08,, 22:48
Currently reading my bi monthly edition of Foreign Affairs, just finished an interesting essay by Richard Holbrooke " A daunting Agenda" on the international challenges the next President of the US will inherit.

Cowman88
24 Sep 08,, 09:39
If you liked Ghost by Ringo then be sure to read Kildar and Choosers of the Slain. His latest, The Last Centurion, is excellent.[/QUOTE]

I am and They are

bolo121
24 Sep 08,, 09:48
His ghost series is pretty inferior to the other series he co-authors with Travis S Taylor.
Loved Manxhome Foe and am currently enjoying Claws that Catch.
I've been a happy baen webscriptions member since it was founded.

ps: Steve White's latest looks interesting:

Saint Anthony's Fire-ARC by Steve White - WebScription Ebook (http://www.webscription.net/p-870-saint-antonys-fire-arc.aspx)

GAU-8
24 Sep 08,, 16:16
"Six Frigates"
--by Ian W. Toll

j_nolan
27 Sep 08,, 18:25
"Interesting Times" by Terry Pratchett. It's from Rincewind series, which is a masterpiece of fantasy and fiction literature at all, I think : )

T_igger_cs_30
27 Sep 08,, 18:32
Enemy at the gates - the Battle for Stalingrad.
William Craig.

Enjoyed the movie, book been in my library for a long time finally getting round to reading it.

Shamus
27 Sep 08,, 19:38
William Craig.

Enjoyed the movie, book been in my library for a long time finally getting round to reading it.I just finished it myself Tigger,excellent book.The section regarding the Russians treatment of their Italian prisoners and what some of them did to survive is eye-opening to say the least:eek:.

Knaur Amarsh
28 Sep 08,, 11:20
Finished yesterday - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre, nice novel, loosely based on the Cambridge Five incident.

T_igger_cs_30
28 Sep 08,, 11:24
Finished yesterday - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre, nice novel, loosely based on the Cambridge Five incident.

Great book Le Carre great author

Samudra
28 Sep 08,, 11:30
Egypt, Greece and Rome - Civilisations of the ancient Mediterranean. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Egypt-Greece-Rome-Civilizations-Mediterranean/dp/0199263647/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222594290&sr=8-7) I've been trying to finish atleast half of it before the end of this month! :mad:

Knaur Amarsh
28 Sep 08,, 11:38
Great book Le Carre great author

Excellent author, he is my favourite in espionage genre, I'v also read The Little Drummer Girl and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, next I ll try to get my hands on Smiley's people, The Constant Gardener and The Honourable Schoolboy :)

Doomarias
29 Sep 08,, 06:50
Im taking a break from history, reading the starfist series up to 10th book.

bolo121
29 Sep 08,, 07:27
William Craig.

Enjoyed the movie, book been in my library for a long time finally getting round to reading it.

Liked the book but loathed the movie.
Ed harris getting killed by jude law of all people? Puhlease.

Tagwyn
01 Oct 08,, 17:50
Reading: When Titans Clash Glantz. Very good study; lots of resources and notes. t

bolo121
01 Oct 08,, 19:14
Reading: When Titans Clash Glantz. Very good study; lots of resources and notes. t

An excellent book, well worth the time.

OOH! a thousand posts i see! Yay!

sappersgt
02 Oct 08,, 07:29
It was a good week for books. I picked up three authors latest novels, Woods, Hunter, Sanford and a fourth, "Desert Battles" by BA Wilson.

Knaur Amarsh
02 Oct 08,, 09:45
It was a good week for books. I picked up three authors latest novels, Woods, Hunter, Sanford and a fourth, "Desert Battles" by BA Wilson.

It was a below average week for books, picked up Spiritual Experiences (Swami Sivananda) out of curiosity, re - enforced my belief am not quite ready for salvation yet , then started on Meditations (Marcus Aurelius) but didn't read it through because it was giving me a headache. Started Colonel William Thompson's Reminiscences of a Pioneer yesterday, finally something I like.

Samudra
02 Oct 08,, 10:15
It was a below average week for books, picked up Spiritual Experiences (Swami Sivananda) out of curiosity, re - enforced my belief am not quite ready for salvation yet , then started on Meditations (Marcus Aurelius) but didn't read it through because it was giving me a headache. Started Colonel William Thompson's Reminiscences of a Pioneer yesterday, finally something I like.

What, do you guys read full time and not go do something for a living? :eek:

I'm still struggling to finish the one I picked up two weeks ago! :redface:

Knaur Amarsh
02 Oct 08,, 10:25
What, do you guys read full time and not go do something for a living? :eek:

I'm still struggling to finish the one I picked up two weeks ago! :redface:

No No, you are supposed to read AT work. When you get time off from surfing the net and misusing the telephone i.e.

sohamsri
02 Oct 08,, 17:53
Anyone read Brisinger (by Christopher Paolini) ?

Currently I'm reading - The Second World War by John Keegan.

pimni
02 Oct 08,, 22:05
Just read "Things fall apart" by Achebe...please read it to find its similarity with what is happening in India.
Also read Eragon by Christopher Paolini and Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Also read two Barbara Cartland :D (a girl needs her romance!!!)

sappersgt
02 Oct 08,, 22:27

I feel ya on the salvation! Meditations gave me a headache also.:))

by pimni
Also read Eragon by Christopher Paolini and Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Also read two Barbara Cartland :D (a girl needs her romance!!!)

When the girlfiend said I read too much, I told her she needed too find a genre she liked and we could read together. Then she found romance novels. Now she reads more than me! She belongs to a club, the damn things keep coming in the mail!:eek:

astralis
02 Oct 08,, 22:43
then started on Meditations (Marcus Aurelius) but didn't read it through because it was giving me a headache.

I feel ya on the salvation! Meditations gave me a headache also.

stoicism doesn't make for good reading- meditations is better swallowed one quote at a time (see below) :biggrin:

pimni
02 Oct 08,, 23:30
I feel ya on the salvation! Meditations gave me a headache also.:))

When the girlfiend said I read too much, I told her she needed too find a genre she liked and we could read together. Then she found romance novels. Now she reads more than me! She belongs to a club, the damn things keep coming in the mail!:eek:

sorry to hear that, can i have the name of that club?(and my husband can join you in hating them :) )

Shamus
02 Oct 08,, 23:33
No No, you are supposed to read AT work. When you get time off from surfing the net and misusing the telephone i.e.:biggrin:

pimni
02 Oct 08,, 23:35
Anyone read Brisinger (by Christopher Paolini) ?

Currently I'm reading - The Second World War by John Keegan.
hey i have read Eragon and loved it thoroughly.....will buy the next books....the price tag is a deterrent. Have you read the Twilight or any book from that series?

Shamus
02 Oct 08,, 23:38
When the girlfiend said I read too much, I told her she needed too find a genre she liked and we could read together. Then she found romance novels. Now she reads more than me! She belongs to a club, the damn things keep coming in the mail!:eek:My wife is a huge fan of the "Bodice ripper" genre also with the cover art consisting of scantily clad females and bare-chested male hunks.She got a wee bit peeved at me when I referred to them as "soft porn":biggrin:.

sappersgt
02 Oct 08,, 23:40
No No, you are supposed to read AT work. When you get time off from surfing the net and misusing the telephone i.e.

Logged on to the WAB no doubt!:tongue:

sappersgt
02 Oct 08,, 23:49
My wife is a huge fan of the "Bodice ripper" genre also with the cover art consisting of scantily clad females and bare-chested male hunks.She got a wee bit peeved at me when I referred to them as "soft porn":biggrin:.

You called that one right! I took a peak at one during vacation and somebodies having sex every fifteen pages! Well, after I thought about it a little, I just considered it foreplay.;):biggrin:

sohamsri
03 Oct 08,, 05:48
hey i have read Eragon and loved it thoroughly.....will buy the next books....the price tag is a deterrent. Have you read the Twilight or any book from that series?

WHy not issue them from a library ? I do that for most of my books...

The sequence is :

Eragon
Eldest
Brisingr
< and one last book will come out next year I think >

The Twilight...hmm...if you are talking about the vampire ones...then no...I dont like vampire books.. :redface:

A trilogy I would seriously recommend (because you liked Eragon..) would be the Bartemius Trilogy.

The Books are called :

1. The Amulet of Samarkhand
2. The Golem's Eye
3. The Ptolemy's Gate.

Happy Reading !! :))

bolo121
03 Oct 08,, 06:08
I remember reading the Bartemius Trilogy, ok young reader fare.

The first Eragon was a good effort, for a fifteen year old.
Unfortunately the second book eldest (written when Paolini was 21) was also a good effort for a fifteen year old.

Am currently reading this.

Amazon.com: The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa 1945--The Last Epic Struggle of World War II: Bill Sloan: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Battle-Okinawa-1945-Struggle/dp/0743292464)

Shek
03 Oct 08,, 06:18
Just finished this over the weekend: Amazon.com: The Gods Of Diyala: Transfer of Command in (Texas A & M University Military History): Caleb S. Cage, Gregory M. Tomlin: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Diyala-Transfer-University-Military/dp/1603440380)
Currently reading this: Amazon.com: Baghdad at Sunrise: A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq (Yale Library of Military History): Peter R. Mansoor: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Baghdad-Sunrise-Brigade-Commanders-Military/dp/030014069X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223007445&sr=1-1)
Have this on deck: Amazon.com: Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions: Dan Ariely: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Irrational-Hidden-Forces-Decisions/dp/006135323X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223007474&sr=1-1)

sohamsri
03 Oct 08,, 06:25
Anyone likes Science Fiction ? Michael Chrichton ?

I love science fiction except those who deal with too much Biology and diseases...I hate Bio(Robin Cook and stuff..) !

bolo121
03 Oct 08,, 06:30
Soham,

Try Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth Series. Excellent Stuff.

Amazon.com: Pandora's Star: Peter F. Hamilton: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star-Peter-F-Hamilton/dp/0345479211/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223008184&sr=8-1)

Amazon.com: Judas Unchained: Peter F. Hamilton: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Judas-Unchained-Peter-F-Hamilton/dp/0345461673/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223008184&sr=8-2)

sohamsri
03 Oct 08,, 06:41
Thank you Sir.

I'l issue them as soon as I finish with the World War II book I'm reading right now.

Knaur Amarsh
03 Oct 08,, 09:51
stoicism doesn't make for good reading- meditations is better swallowed one quote at a time (see below) :biggrin:

For me, philosophy doesn't make a good read in general, looking at the unread, unorganized bottom right corner of my bookshelf from here, I see - Chief currents of contemporary philosophy, Indian Philosophy, The Nvaya philosophy, Logic , Q's n A's on the law of evidence, Existensalism- Intro,Guide and Assessment, Ethics and Social Philosophy....and some other covers too dusty to read.

Its strange because I loved philosophy in junior college, I suppose its interesting when you have learned professors to teach you, but not for pleasure reading on your own. Either that or maybe only the basic tenets are fun, gets too profound and abstract later on.

Knaur Amarsh
03 Oct 08,, 09:55
Anyone likes Science Fiction ? Michael Chrichton ?

I love science fiction except those who deal with too much Biology and diseases...I hate Bio(Robin Cook and stuff..) !

I'v read Terminal Man and Andromeda Strain by Crichton..Cook's stuff is OK, but too predictable, though I like how he simplifies med terms for laymen like me to understand.

Knaur Amarsh
03 Oct 08,, 10:08

My friend is a huge fan of both, not to mention Animorph. Twilight is turning out to be real popular amongst adolescents here, its like the new Harry Potter I suppose. I'v read none of them of course :P only fantasy series I'v read is the Mallorean by David Eddings.

The first Eragon was a good effort, for a fifteen year old.
Unfortunately the second book eldest (written when Paolini was 21) was also a good effort for a fifteen year old.

:biggrin: