Band of Brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band of Brothers

Band of Brothers is my favorite World War Two movie/series ever. I thought it was really well done and loved it. I swear I've wathced it like 10 times.

Today while I was skateboarding on my lunch break I saw the guy who plays Captain Richard Winters walking by at Southbank. I spoke to him briefly and everything. Apparently he is doing a play here. Made my day especially as I sucked at skating today and fell down a lot.

Southbank is on the river Thames in London where you can skate or go for walks and stuff for those that don't know.
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

I agree that it was a great series. Lot of historical accuracy, as far as movies/TV go. However, the topic, though great, is getting worn out. I'd love to see a similar series about the Eastern Front, from either a Russian or German POV. I always thought The Forgotten Soldier would make a great movie or TV series.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I'd like to see Battle of Britain redone or some other WW2 air war movie/series.

An updated Blacksheep Squadron wouldbe rad. Pappy Boyington was my childhood hero. I even refer to him in my email. I have 86 in my email address as it was on the side of his aircraft in a propaganda photo.

I'm still stoked that I spoke to Captain Winters.
      College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Band of Brothers is great.

Wasn't Winters recommended for the Medal of Honor recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
          Band of Brothers is my favorite World War Two movie/series ever. I thought it was really well done and loved it. I swear I've wathced it like 10 times.

Today while I was skateboarding on my lunch break I saw the guy who plays Captain Richard Winters walking by at Southbank. I spoke to him briefly and everything. Apparently he is doing a play here. Made my day especially as I sucked at skating today and fell down a lot.

Southbank is on the river Thames in London where you can skate or go for walks and stuff for those that don't know.
          Today at Seven PM Larry Alexander is going to discuss his book Biggest Brother: The Life Of Dick Winters. Hopefully some birthday money comes my way before the window of oppertunity to buy Stephen Ambrose's book today, possibly a copy of Biggest brother as well, closes.

And I may luck out in having some of the Easy Company vets here as well as the usual crowd of WW2 vets...maybe luck out a third time and get one or both books signed by someone.

Comment

No surprise to anyone who's read my posts here, I'm a big U.S. Army in WWII student and booster. I think BoB (book and series) is a great chapter in WWII historical analysis and presentation.

That being said, I'd love to see a similar treatment of the British and/or French perspective of the first days of the Battle of France or the last at Dunkirk. Or follow a Polish company in 1939.

GIVE ME MORE WELL-PRODUCED WWII STORIES, American-centric or otherwise.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
              No surprise to anyone who's read my posts here, I'm a big U.S. Army in WWII student and booster. I think BoB (book and series) is a great chapter in WWII historical analysis and presentation.

That being said, I'd love to see a similar treatment of the British and/or French perspective of the first days of the Battle of France or the last at Dunkirk. Or follow a Polish company in 1939.

-dale
              'The Second World War’
              by Winston Churchill
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I'd like to see Battle of Britain redone or some other WW2 air war movie/series.

An updated Blacksheep Squadron wouldbe rad. Pappy Boyington was my childhood hero. I even refer to him in my email. I have 86 in my email address as it was on the side of his aircraft in a propaganda photo.

I'm still stoked that I spoke to Captain Winters.
                I got to hear Boyington speak. He was on a tour of Hilton hotels in '77 (I was 16; YEAH, I already know I'm old) with Erich Hartmann. My friend and I talked his dad into driving over to Dallas for the event. What a great memory: I even got to ask Hartmann a question during Q&A.

In '82, I got to meet Chuck Yeager at the Reno Air Races. VERY nice memory.

Comment

Wow, that's cool that you got to ask the ace of aces a question. What did you ask?
                  "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                    Wow, that's cool that you got to ask the ace of aces a question. What did you ask?
                    "I read that the Bf-109 didn't turn as tight as the FW-190, but that you preferred it anyway. Why?"

And he said that the Bf-109 could wrap up into an instantaneous turn and hold it there, maintaining altitude as long as you kept the speed up, until you ran out of gas.

If you tried to maintain a maximum performance turn in the FW-190, by comparison, it would eventually begin to lose parts , like access panels, maybe the landing gear covers, and it had a tendency to lose altitude and airspeed until you were forced to roll out and dive to maintain speed. Do that against a fast Mustang, Spitfire, or Lagg, or against the Thunderbolt - excellent in a dive - and you'd always be shot down.

And then - I was so VERY proud - he said, "A very good question, jung adler." (He used to call his fighter jocks that after he became a wing commander in the new West German Luftwaffe.)

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                      'The Second World War’
                      by Winston Churchill
                      Read it.

-dale

Comment

Not as Good as "A History of English Speaking Peoples".
                        "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                          I got to hear Boyington speak. He was on a tour of Hilton hotels in '77 (I was 16; YEAH, I already know I'm old) with Erich Hartmann. My friend and I talked his dad into driving over to Dallas for the event. What a great memory: I even got to ask Hartmann a question during Q&A.

In '82, I got to meet Chuck Yeager at the Reno Air Races. VERY nice memory.

My father built a Corsair (Lulu Belle #86 which I found out was actually the Lucy Belle after I did some reading, he was cheating on his wife with a bird named Lucy) in his numbers and I had that hanging over my bed since I was a baby. Been a fan of his all my life I suppose. My dad got photo's of the aircraft signed by the man himself as he ran into him at an airshow..

Bluesman, sooooo jealous
                          Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 23 Sep 05,, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem

-dale

Have you read Pegassis Bridge by Stephen Ambrose? That was very good. There is also one caled Fighter Boys and is about the Battle of Britain. I loved it.

Forgotten Army is all about the Eastern Front from the German perspective written by a soldier who was captured. Quite good as well.

Right now I'm reading
                            Winston Churchill
                            Soldier
                            The Military Life of a Gentleman at War

It's written by Douglas Russell and is amazing. I respect and admire Churchill even more now. It's brand new and only has £££ price on the cover so you may need to order it from the UK. It's £20 so I gues in USD around 38 and CDN $45.
                            Well worth it.
                            Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 23 Sep 05,, 09:05.

Comment

Have you read Pegassis Bridge by Stephen Ambrose? That was very good. There is also one caled Fighter Boys and is about the Battle of Britain. I loved it.

Forgotten Army is all about the Eastern Front from the German perspective written by a soldier who was captured. Quite good as well.

Right now I'm reading
                              Winston Churchill
                              Soldier
                              The Military Life of a Gentleman at War

It's written by Douglas Russell and is amazing. I respect and admire Churchill even more now. It's brand new and only has £££ price on the cover so you may need to order it from the UK. It's £20 so I gues in USD around 38 and CDN $45.
                              Well worth it.
                              Batman,
                              You've got a typo. For those interested in reading it, it's called "Forgotten Soldier" and is written by Guy Sajer, or something like that.
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                              X