PDA

View Full Version : Battleship Alabama hurricane damage pictures

TopHatter
22 Sep 05,, 03:54
I suppose I could just link to their website page (http://www.ussalabama.com/html/photos/index.php) but here is a taste of the damage she's sustained. Several more to see by following that link
I got a little choked up seeing her listing like that. :frown:
That concrete gangway is a total loss and the UH-1 got thrown across the aircraft pavilion like a ragdoll.

sparten
22 Sep 05,, 06:13
Did;nt the Alabama go through a Typhoon of Okinawa in 1945?

TopHatter
22 Sep 05,, 22:25

Not entirely sure, I'll have to check. She probably did.
I remember a picture of heavy cruiser Pittsburgh with pretty much her entire bow torn off. Seeing that picture still gives me shivers

BanliochFear
23 Sep 05,, 00:41

From the Alabama's website:

On 5 June, while conducting operations off Kyushu, the task force rode out a typhoon with ALABAMA experiencing slight damage, and cruiser PITTSBURGH losing nearly 100 feet of her bow. On 10 June, ALABAMA received orders to proceed southward and join other battleships in the bombardment of Minami Daito Jima. This new assignment was carried out, and the ship proceeded to the newly developed base in Leyte Gulf.

Dreadnought
26 Sep 05,, 14:05
A shame she's a real nice battlewagon too. Hope she wasnt damaged to much. Not enough of them left to loose another :frown:

TopHatter
26 Sep 05,, 14:29
A shame she's a real nice battlewagon too. Hope she wasnt damaged to much. Not enough of them left to loose another :frown:

I read a blurb that she was taking on water. Don't know how much stock to place in that but I have no other idea why she's listing.

It'll take more than some hurricane to put her out of action though.

It's just a shame what happened to the Aircraft Pavilion. There are several irreplacable aircraft in there, including an A-12 Blackbird and a YF-17 Cobra.

Dreadnought
26 Sep 05,, 18:00
I read a blurb that she was taking on water. Don't know how much stock to place in that but I have no other idea why she's listing.

It'll take more than some hurricane to put her out of action though.

It's just a shame what happened to the Aircraft Pavilion. There are several irreplacable aircraft in there, including an A-12 Blackbird and a YF-17 Cobra.

Ahh dont forget the Kingfisher..the eyes of the fleet ;)

TopHatter
26 Sep 05,, 18:18
Ahh dont forget the Kingfisher..the eyes of the fleet ;)

There is also several other WWII, Korean and Vietnam War aircraft there.

It's an incredibly well-rounded collection, missing only aircraft from World War I.

I bet the Memorial is patting themselves on the back for getting USS Drum out of the water a few years back. She had taken a pounding over the years :frown:

Dreadnought
28 Sep 05,, 20:37
With all the subs we have kept and museumed I wish we would have kept the Archerfish ss311. For the captain of USS Archerfish was quite ingenous to lie in wait for the Japs to float Shinano out of her drydock and send her to Kure for fit out before torpedoing her. Had he not waited they may have been able to keep her afloat long enought to get her to a yard and repairs. At 72,000 tons displaced she was the largest warship lost during the war according to record. And the third and last ship of the Yamato class. Below is an image of the US attack subs and their repair ship that were stationed in Japanese waters towards the end of the war. Sorry no Shinano images very few are know to exist but ill keep looking.

TopHatter
29 Sep 05,, 03:28
My nominee for a sub would be USS Barb.
If her crew and skipper (the innovative, daring and MOD winner Gene Fluckey) had known she was going to be scrapped after serving in the Italian Navy, they would have bought her and brought her home :frown:

Dreadnought
16 Dec 05,, 18:45
An interesting read on battleship alabama. Some newer facts come to light.
http://www.usni.org/navalhistory/articles04/NHSpinnerJun-2.htm

RustyBattleship
16 Feb 06,, 00:14
Alabama also rode out large hurricane (Camille?) back in the 70s. But as with Katrina, all of the aircraft on display were destroyed.

TopHatter
16 Feb 06,, 01:39
Alabama also rode out large hurricane (Camille?) back in the 70s. But as with Katrina, all of the aircraft on display were destroyed.
Gratifyingly, the park reopened back on January 4. :)

Dreadnought
16 Feb 06,, 14:40
Gratifyingly, the park reopened back on January 4. :)

Niceeeeeee, I may even get a chance to see her this summer when I visit my bro. :biggrin: