I love when I'm right RE: "Global Warming"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love when I'm right RE: "Global Warming"

Now, we have two planets that seem to have roughly increasing temperatures over the last few years.

I'm trying to remember my basic astronomy, but planets in this solar system have one thing in common that affects their temperature.

I'm trying... I can't remember...

Oh yeah, it's the sun. Anyway, article here. Good stuff about Mars Global Surveyor in general, and the part that made me chuckle is

And for three Mars summers in a row, deposits of frozen carbon dioxide near Mars' south pole have shrunk from the previous year's size, suggesting a climate change in progress.
    Confirms what I have pointed out from other Mars orbiter data in the past, and the simplicity of the obvious - IF something is heating up, look to the source of the heat first.

-dale

Originally posted by dalem
    Now, we have two planets that seem to have roughly increasing temperatures over the last few years.

I'm trying to remember my basic astronomy, but planets in this solar system have one thing in common that affects their temperature.

I'm trying... I can't remember...

Oh yeah, it's the sun. Anyway, article here. Good stuff about Mars Global Surveyor in general, and the part that made me chuckle is

-dale
    Dale, did you read Michael Crichton’s State of Fear?
    It and the list of sources listed does open new thoughts on ecological problems and manifestations.
    As for:
    ...simplicity of the obvious - IF something is heating up, look to the source of the heat first.
    Occam's razor again!
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by Amled
      Dale, did you read Michael Crichton’s State of Fear?
      It and the list of sources listed does open new thoughts on ecological problems and manifestations.
      Indeed I did. Confirms many of my own opinions, although in a much more readable format.

As for:

Occam's razor again!
      How easy it is to forget.

-dale

Comment

I've always been a glass half full kinda guy, and for the most part your theory and subsequent prove are sound, however I still think that we should do our best to keep polution to a minimum. One Monday morning in a big city and a quick gaze atthe skyline will show you just what kind of $h!t we are putting into our air.

Don't get me wrong, I totally accept the theory that Global warming is a natural occurance, the problem is that its the arguement commonly used to promote or prevent us from cleaning up our act.
        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

While I conceed that global warming may be a natural process I do firmly believe that we are helping it along and I do like snowboarding so I'd like to drop our pollution output by a large degree. If at least for our lungs.
          Originally posted by GVChamp
          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin
            I've always been a glass half full kinda guy, and for the most part your theory and subsequent prove are sound, however I still think that we should do our best to keep polution to a minimum. One Monday morning in a big city and a quick gaze atthe skyline will show you just what kind of $h!t we are putting into our air.
            I agree that pollution is worth reducing for fairly obvious reasons. And the wealthier a society gets, the more it can afford to protect itself with reasonable emission controls, etc. But every society has to go through its industrial pollution phase.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
              While I conceed that global warming may be a natural process I do firmly believe that we are helping it along
              Why? How? Where is your evidence?

-dale

Comment

My evidence, let us imagine a winters day, it's sunny and freezing cold, next day you get an overcast and the temperature goes up. The clouds are acting like a blanket see? Pollution is acting like the clouds in my example.

I've seen this happen a million times (not literaly) as I have been skiing and snowboarding since I was two and watch the weather and temperature. At 7 celcius or less in Vancouver you can make a safe bet that it will be snowing in the mountains. I've noticed that almost every time we get an overcast the temperature rises a degree or two.

There you go.
                College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

My evidence, let us imagine a winters day, it's sunny and freezing cold, next day you get an overcast and the temperature goes up. The clouds are acting like a blanket see? Pollution is acting like the clouds in my example.

I've seen this happen a million times (not literaly) as I have been skiing and snowboarding since I was two and watch the weather and temperature. At 7 celcius or less in Vancouver you can make a safe bet that it will be snowing in the mountains. I've noticed that almost every time we get an overcast the temperature rises a degree or two.

There you go.
                  Personal anecdotes are not evidence.

-dale

Comment

That is evidence. You learn about temperature changes like this in elementary school. I'm sorry that I didn't bother to go and find a quote from a scientist and post it. Not to mention that had I bothered you would post a quote from another scientist de-bunking it and I would do the same and so on and on and on and on.

Comment

dalem, don't bother. There is no point in arguing with somebody like this. Just chuckle quietly to yourself, shake your head in sadness, and know that there are some people that are just not able to see the world but as through a glass, darkly.

Comment

Well, global warming is a fact. What is debated is to what degree humans have influenced the trend. Examining the evidence, the main correlation appears to be the CO2 emissions that started increasing with industrialization. Nearly all scientists believe that humans have been the major contributor to global warming since industrialization. I'm more apt to trust their opinions than those of the experts at the oil companies.

Comment

Originally posted by barrowaj
                          Well, global warming is a fact.
                          No one is disputing that.

What is debated is to what degree humans have influenced the trend.
                          I agree that is the debate.

Examining the evidence, the main correlation appears to be the CO2 emissions that started increasing with industrialization.
                          Focusing on the last 200 years ignores similar warming (followed by cooling)trends prevalent before industrialization.

Nearly all scientists believe that humans have been the major contributor to global warming since industrialization.
                          "Nearly all"? From where do you get that measurement?

I'm more apt to trust their opinions than those of the experts at the oil companies.
                          Who brought oil companies into the debate?

Now, ignoring all that extra garbage you tried to interject above ;), the point here is that Mars seems to be getting warmer at the same time that Earth seems to be getting warmer. I think this is a fine confirmation that the sun is involved. To what degree requires more study.

-dale

Comment

I never said that we are the sole cause, I just think there is a good chance we are helping it a long a bit at the very least.

Comment

I never said that we are the sole cause, I just think there is a good chance we are helping it a long a bit at the very least.
                              I agree that's what you said and I asked why you think that.

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X