Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate votes to end Cuba travel ban

Senate votes to end Cuba travel ban

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defying a threatened presidential veto, the Senate joined the House Thursday in moving to end four-decade-old restrictions on travel to Cuba.

"It is not constructive at all to try to slap around Fidel Castro by imposing limits on the American people's right to travel," said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-North Dakota.

The Senate voted 59-36 to bar the use of government money to enforce current travel restrictions. Last month a nearly identical measure passed the House, setting up a showdown with the administration, which says President Bush will veto a $90 billion Transportation and Treasury Department bill if contains the Cuba language.

"The administration believes that it is essential to maintain sanctions and travel restrictions to deny economic resources to the brutal Castro regime," the White House said in a statement.

The Treasury Department estimates that about 160,000 Americans, half of them Cuban-Americans visiting family members, traveled to Cuba legally last year. Humanitarian and educational groups, journalists and diplomats are also allowed visits, but thousands of other Americans visit illegally, by way of third countries, risking thousands of dollars in fines and imprisonment.

Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, who co-sponsored the amendment to the spending bill with Dorgan, said the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control, a key office in the fight against terrorism and drug trafficking, shouldn't be devoting resources to American tourists going to Cuba.

"Ten percent of the OFAC budget is used to track down little old grandmas from the West Coast who through a Canadian travel agency chose to bike in Cuba," he said.

Opponents warned that the provision sent a wrong signal at a time when the Castro regime has escalated its crackdown on dissidents. "Why should we now open up travel to Cuba to give additional cash flow to the Castro regime?" asked Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, chairman of the Appropriations Committee.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

This mean i can get good Cuban cigars for a reasonable price now?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      This mean i can get good Cuban cigars for a reasonable price now?
      Heh, Snipes always looking at the big picture.
      Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

I think we should lift it myself. The prosperity of the Cuban people would hasten the fall of communism faster than travel bans and trade embargoes, imo.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Yes which is why I am genuinely puzzled by the reaction of conservatives toward Cuba.

If we increase trade with Cuba and just claim that Castro is holding you back from making more money, guess what will happen?

A real revolution.

There is no force like greed.

How come in the past after the Cold War ended, US did not try to invade Cuba and kicjed out Castro?

I mean US has a better case when it comes to Cuba instead of Iraq.

Comment

No support for it.

Castro is smart enough not to be a belligerent little nitwit like Saddam, Kim Il, and Noriega.

The squeaky dictator gets the JDAM.

Comment

I think this will only make him stronger. The money that comes from this is going right to the Communist dictatorship. There are no privately owned stores and shops were people could increase their wealth.

Comment

But it will help when they realize what they could be making but aren't
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

They aren't gonna know the truth, the Dictator will claim the increase in wealth was because his brilliant ideas.

Comment

Bans achieve nothing.

India had a whole lot of embargos agaisnt foreign gods and all that. However, that is all gone. Consumerism and foregin goods are flooding our market and I am astonished that that is making even the poor look favourably upon the rich nations of the world.

Even the Communists, who control one state, have been bitten by the bug! They no longer can spew vitriol on the US and others and instead are cosying up with the US Consul General!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                      I think this will only make him stronger. The money that comes from this is going right to the Communist dictatorship. There are no privately owned stores and shops were people could increase their wealth.
                      Agreed, because of the lack of private ownership, Castro and his cronnies would line their pockets with American money.

Just ask Fidel's daughter who lives in Miami how she feels about the embargo.

Comment

Working...
                      X