Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republic of Singapore Air Force chooses F-15T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republic of Singapore Air Force chooses F-15T.

For a variety of reasons, RSAF finally selected the F-15T over 2 other contenders:

• Eurofighter Typhoon
    • Dassault Rafale

Is the F-15T as good as the other two? Our neighbour Malaysia has the MiG29 and the SU-30. Is the F-15T a good match for these 2 aircrafts?

The other plane we operate is the F-16 C/D.

The F-15T will phase out the A-4S Skyhawk and the F-5E Tiger II.

Originally posted by Chino
    For a variety of reasons, RSAF finally selected the F-15T over 2 other contenders:

• Eurofighter Typhoon
    • Dassault Rafale

Is the F-15T as good as the other two? Our neighbour Malaysia has the MiG29 and the SU-30. Is the F-15T a good match for these 2 aircrafts?

Reasons why they chose the F-15T.

- The US Dollar was majorly down Versus the Euro during this past month and they mentioned this as one of the disadvantages the Europeans had.
    - As it is, the Eurofighter and Typhoon were more expensive than the F-15T's
    - They did not want to spend too much on a new fighter, since they anticipate the development of BETTER fighter technology in the next 15 years.
    - The F-15 T is enough to handle its neighbours warplanes(Except the SU-30MKM)

Comment

Two Words: Combat Proven.
      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

• Eurofighter Typhoon
        • Dassault Rafale

I might be wrong, but from my information Malaisia does not yet has a Su-30MKM but expects delivery somewhen during this year. In total they will receive around 18 Su-30 MKM. Maybe they have some earlier version of Su-27?

It looks to me that Su-30MKM being a replica of MKI (differing by replacement of Israely pieces for French) is stronger platform than F-15T . However it is not really important as Singapore is unlikelly to fight Malaisia..... geography will not leave Singapore much chance if a war rages. From what I understand the millitary doctrine of Singapore is selfdefense and defense of the straits.....

Comment

But Singapore is such a small place, if say China were to attack with a cruise or ballistic missile attack, it does not matter if Singapre had F-22s, they would all be destroyed or the runway would be made unoperable.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
            From what I understand the millitary doctrine of Singapore is selfdefense and defense of the straits.....
            The doctrine is pre-emptive strike. Singapore would invade and hold Malay territory and fight it out there.

Comment

Singapore and China are rather good pals.

Besides, history will show that nearly all wars are started between neighbours. If you are too far away from each other you'd have nothing to quarrel about, would you?

The pre-emptive strike theory is correct. Of course, this is based optimistically on the fact that we strike first and are able to enter and hold Malaysian territory as if they don't have defences.

The Euro Typhoon was my favourite. It was the one dropped first. Apart from being expensive, I think it was also mentioned that the company is a little bit of a mess and delivery might be a problem.

I didn't like the Rafale too much as I don't have a very high regard for French aircrafts. But it could be my ignorance of French aircrafts. Anyone has a different opinion?

Singapore has been flying nearly all American-made aircrafts for the past 30 years. The famous ones being C-130, A-4S upgraded Skyhawks, F-5E upgraded Tiger II, F-16 and all our pilots are train in the US.

We also operate UH-1H and Apache Longbow choppers.

So it seems quite natural that the F-15T is selected.

Though the F-15T was my second choice, I do wonder if it is not a tad old in design?

Comment

Reasons for choice

In addition to the value of the US dollar, reasons that the F-15T was chosen are as follows:

Typhoon - Could not deliver the quantitiy of Tranche 2 quick enough.

Rafale - A great plane, but Singapore was looking for a strike aircraft to replace its A-4's. It already has multi-role fighters in the form of F-16 Blk 50's. The Raf is a great plane, but the F-15T is a better strike platform (better A-G radar, heavier weaspons load, larger variety of weapons, and much greater range)

Comment

Originally posted by JBodnar39
                  In addition to the value of the US dollar, reasons that the F-15T was chosen are as follows:

Typhoon - Could not deliver the quantitiy of Tranche 2 quick enough.

Rafale - A great plane, but Singapore was looking for a strike aircraft to replace its A-4's. It already has multi-role fighters in the form of F-16 Blk 50's. The Raf is a great plane, but the F-15T is a better strike platform (better A-G radar, heavier weaspons load, larger variety of weapons, and much greater range)
                  That's it. And there are two more points to mention. Point 1: Singapore is a very very very small country that's surrounded by potential enemies and is dependent on the US as their protector. I think that influenced the decision crucially.

Point 2: All the infrastructure and aircraft weapons of Singapore are aligned after american fighter jets. If the decision had been fallen on the Rafale Singapore would had need to buy french aircraft weapons as the Rafale is not compatible to AIM-120, AIM-9 etc. Instead the shelters of Singapore are full of Sidewinders and AMRAAMs. So it was an economic decision.
                  Last edited by JG73; 20 Sep 05,, 01:58.
                  >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by Sameer
                    But Singapore is such a small place, if say China were to attack with a cruise or ballistic missile attack, it does not matter if Singapre had F-22s, they would all be destroyed or the runway would be made unoperable.
                    Not all. 24 F-16C/Ds of Singapore are based in the US.
                    >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

china would not destroy Singapore, because it regards Singapore as its fellow Chinese brothers (and not in the Taiwanese way).

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
                        Not all. 24 F-16C/Ds of Singapore are based in the US.
                        We reportedly operate about 60 F-16 C/Ds. Those in US are for training purpose. There are some in Australia. And soon there will be some in Thailand, if they're not there already. So if our airbases are destroyed, we'll still have some kind of air umbrella.

So between the F-16 C/D and the F-15T, which is the fighter aircraft then? Cos someone menntioned the F-15T Eagle is a strike aircraft.

In the old days it was easier, the F-5E Tiger II was the fighter and it was easy to tell cos the F-5E couldn't carry much. And the A-4S Skyhawk was the strike aircraft.

I served in the infantry, I know and love firearms. But aircrafts - I know doodah.

Comment

Originally posted by JG73
                          That's it. And there are two more points to mention. Point 1: Singapore is a very very very small country that's surrounded by potential enemies and is dependent on the US as their protector. I think that influenced the decision crucially.

Point 2: All the infrastructure and aircraft weapons of Singapore are aligned after american fighter jets. If the decision had been fallen on the Rafale Singapore would had need to buy french aircraft weapons as the Rafale is not compatible to AIM-120, AIM-9 etc. Instead the shelters of Singapore are full of Sidewinders and AMRAAMs. So it was an economic decision.
                          These reasons are quite powerfull. I don't see a point why others bothered participating. It was clear that with such factors F-15 is beyond competition

Comment

So between the F-16 C/D and the F-15T, which is the fighter aircraft then? Cos someone menntioned the F-15T Eagle is a strike aircraft.

In the old days it was easier, the F-5E Tiger II was the fighter and it was easy to tell cos the F-5E couldn't carry much. And the A-4S Skyhawk was the strike aircraft.

The F-16 is a multirole fighter which can do everything a bit but nothing real good as there are air to air, air to ground, SEAD and reconnaissance. Too informate your self about it you could check out www.f-16.net . It's a quite nice site but a bit too patriotic. It seems as if the F-16 was the best aircraft in the world.
                            The earlier F-15s where concipated as fighters who also can do air to ground. This scheme has now changed to the opposite. The F-15Es, -Is, -Ks, -Ts can do air to air quite well but do not have any chance against Eurofighter or Rafale.
                            Last edited by JG73; 20 Sep 05,, 12:06.
                            >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
                              These reasons are quite powerfull. I don't see a point why others bothered participating. It was clear that with such factors F-15 is beyond competition
                              Yes it's hard for Eurofighter and Rafale because the americans do set nations who have to decide whether they want a US-aircraft or an european aircraft under hard pressure because they want to export there own aircrafts to these countries. As seen during the decisions of Hungary, Czech Republic or Poland. Well Hungary and Czech Republic decided pro-european and took JAS-39C Gripen but Poland was wetting their panties and took F-16.
                              EADS/BAE and Dassault have the disadvantage that they don't have such lobbies in the german, british or french parliament as the american companies have in their own.
                              Last edited by JG73; 20 Sep 05,, 12:24.
                              >Facit Omnia Voluntas<

Comment

Working...
                              X