X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Control- Brahmos Missile

Cruise Control
    India Today

A naval helicopter clattering above the Arabian Sea has just picked up the target, a hostile warship off the Indian coast. It transmits the location to the destroyer INS Rajput over 100 km away. With a deafening roar, a missile blasts off the deck of the warship and streaks across the sea at nearly thrice the speed of sound. Dropping down to a few meters above the waves it sniffs its quarry using onboard radar. When the nine-meter long, three-ton missile hits the tar get, it sets off a 200-kg warhead, cleaving It and sending both halves to the seabed. It has taken the BrahMos the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile, a little less than five minutes to seek and smash its target.

When bewildered naval brass and scientists later overflow the scene in a helicopter there was only flotsam. It was like arriving at the aftermath of a battle,” recalls Dr A. Sivathanu Pillai, chief executive officer and managing director of the BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited (BAPL).

The 10th and final test of the missile last fortnight, the first of a combat prototype (with a live warhead) heralded the formal induction of the missile less than four years after its first trial. It marks a quantum leap for the armed forces which are acquiring a formidable force multiplier. Cruise missiles are like kamikaze aircraft which are piloted by an onboard computer using pre-fed co-ordinates and guided by satellites. Unlike ballistic missiles which exit the atmosphere vertically and re-enter to free fall on their targets, cruise missiles follow a flat trajectory and “cruise” on their own power to the target.

While ballistic missiles like Prithvi and Agni are like hammers, the BrahMos is like a surgeon’s scalpel. Deadly accurate—officials boast it can fly into a football goal post 300 km away— it can be used to mount high speed precision strikes against an array of surface targets ranging from warships to bunkers, airfields, command posts and infrastructure facilities.

Because the BrahMos is a universal missile—it can be launched from multi dimensional platforms like aircraft, warships, submarines, trucks and land-based silos—It can be used by all three armed forces. This enables standardisation and mass production, which result not only in significant cost savings but also quality control on the missiles produced in batches.

Mass production of the missile has commenced and the company expects to supply the Indian armed forces with 1,000 missiles by 2015. BrahMos officials are cagey about revealing the cost of the missile. Defence analysts say it is roughly Rs.10 crore per missile.

The BrahMos will equip all major Indian naval warships like the three under construction Project 15A destroyers and project Project 17 frigates and will be retrofitted on one existing warship each year. “The missiles sheer speed means it can inflict heavy damage on targets and renders itself immune to known countermeasures”, says a senior naval officer. “Besides, it can replace at least three imported missile types currently being used by the navy.”

A test for the army’s variant In Pokhran last December, equipped with special image processing software to fly over land, saw the missile search and destroy a 50-cm-thick concrete bunker with pinpoint precision. Last week in Hyderabad, the army raised and began training its first core group to man the missile which it will induct by 2007. Around this time, the air force variant, lighter by one tonne, will begin trials to equip specially modified Su-3OMKI fighter-bombers which will carry up to three missiles each.

In the crowded missile menagerie, supersonic cruise missiles are extremely rare birds, a technology perfected only by Russia. (China operates the bulky Russian-supplied first generation supersonic Moskit missile). Western supersonic cruise missiles are still in the development stage—most missiles like the Harpoon and Tomahawk are powered by solid rocket fuel or turbojet engines and trundle along at subsonic speeds. The BrahMos, however, flies at the speed of a 7.62-mm rifle bullet, thanks to a liquid kerosene ramjet engine. A solid first stage or booster blasts the missile to supersonic speed and then drops off.

BUZZ ON BRAHMOS

• Flies at nearly three times the speed of sound, the speed of a rifle bullet, and has a range of 300 km.
    • Nearly impossible to intercept. High kinetic energy due to speed also means missile can cause tremendous damage to target.
    • The same missile with minor modifications can be used by the army, navy and air force.
    • Can be fired from ships, submarines, aircraft and trucks.
    At this point the second stage “rams” the air in through a nose-mounted intake and mixes it with liquid kerosene in a combustion chamber and uses the explosive mixture to fuel its supersonic flight.

The missile can hit targets 300 km away, roughly the distance between Delhi and Chandigarh, in just five minutes. Reason why its makers think it is unstoppable. “It penetrates enemy defences using brute speed,” says Pillai.

The BrahMos can trace its DNA to the fearsome P-700 Granit (granite) missile, a 550-km Cold War Soviet missile which armed the doomed submarine Kursk, almost exclusively designed to kill American aircraft carriers. When it was presented by the cash-strapped Russians in its shorter-legged, MTCR-friendly avatar as the Yakhont in the world missile market in the mid-1990s, it was seized by India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) which suggested joint funding and development. (Missile Technology Control Regime or MTCR prohibits sale of missiles with a range of over 300 km.) It emerged as the BrahMos (a composite of the Brahmaputra and Moscow rivers), a consortium jointly funded by the two countries and involving inputs from 10 Russian and 20 Indian public and private sector industries, including L&T and Godrej.

While the revolutionary kerosene ramjet propulsion system is still wholly Russian, the inertial navigation system which steers the missile, launchers and fire control systems are of Indian origin. Technology developed for the missile has helped improve the accuracy of the Prithvi and Agni missiles,

Now BAPL wants to use the missile to penetrate the West-dominated global cruise missile market. “This is the first Indian defence product with extremely bright export prospects”, says Pillai. He will not confirm this but countries like Malaysia and South Africa have shown interest in buying the missile.

Meanwhile, BAPL is contemplating a BrahMos-2, capable of flying up to Mach 8, to ensure its supersonic product retains its speed lead well into the future.

From the article we now can confirm that the Indian Navy and Army can strike land targets with the Brahmos cruise missile.

There is speculation that the range is being underreported and/or that the Brahmos 2 will have a much higher range closer to 800km.

Comment

I read that the lo-lo range of Brahmos is only 120KM. How far can the missile go when it's fired from a destroyer?

Comment

Yes, it's a nice achievement to be sure. But it's still India's first cruise missile. And can most likely be intercepted rather easilly. But I'm sure with more research time India will produce a future version that has some impressive capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon 6
          Yes, it's a nice achievement to be sure. But it's still India's first cruise missile. And can most likely be intercepted rather easilly. But I'm sure with more research time India will produce a future version that has some impressive capabilities.

Err the Brahmos is a joint venture with Russia and at the moment there are no missiles capable of intercepting it because of its speed.

If you are refferring to the ASTER 30 defense system, it is advertized as being able to ntercept a 2.5 mach missle but it has never been tested to do that.

And the Brahmos range is 280kms not 120 at lo lo.

The Brahmos is a RAMJET powered cruise missile that is unmatched in speed and overall capabliity at the moment only its range needs improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sameer
            Err the Brahmos is a joint venture with Russia and at the moment there are no missiles capable of intercepting it because of its speed.

If you are refferring to the ASTER 30 defense system, it is advertized as being able to ntercept a 2.5 mach missle but it has never been tested to do that.

And the Brahmos range is 280kms not 120 at lo lo.

The Brahmos is a RAMJET powered cruise missile that is unmatched in speed and overall capabliity at the moment only its range needs improvement.
            Really? all the sites I read said 120-145KM for lo-lo
            http://www.protonriver.com/library/missiles/brahmos.php

·Variable flight: The optimal trajectory is selected according to nature and characteristics of target.

·Sea-Skiming: To avoid anti-missile defence Brahmos remains at an altitude of 10-15 from launch to impact. Range achieved is about 120kms.

290kms distance is achieved in lo/hi/lo flight profile. On launch it climbs to 14000-15000m for cruise phase. 40 km's away from the target it descends to sea skimming altitude. The closing speed is about 750m/sec which increases its kinetic energy to extreme heights. Impact at this speed and subsequent detonation of the war head ensures maximum damage. Brahmos KE lethality is nine times greater than conventional subsonic missile as kinetic energy being proportional to square of velocity.

I'm just saying 290 km is much easier to achieve from a non sea-skmming cruise mode.

For example, I think Klub missile has similar hi-lo range, but much long lo-lo range and same with YJ-62. I'm not sure about the American SSMs. Harpoon's range doesn't seem to be too impressive.

Comment

Wait you may be right, i confused it for something else,

yep you are right, the early version range is only 120kms at lo lo and they plan to increase that as newer versions enter service

yep i stand corrected.

Comment

The Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile is capable of Mach 3.5+

The Brahmos isn't that fast. And it can't outrun a bullet.

And Russia built Mach 4+ missiles back in the 70's, designed to shoot down the SR-71 Blackbird.

Comment

The USN SM-2MRIIIB, ESSM, and RAM are all fully capable of intercepting a Brahmos from a kinematic standpoint.

Comment

The main advantage of high speed is not that it makes the missile "non interceptable" (just think about the target's point defenses: they have head-on interception profile). Instead, it reduces the reaction time and that makes things extremely hard for the defense, especially during multiple attacks from different directions.

Comment

Not Invincible , but hard to defeat ?
                      Dont say it is easy. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                        Not Invincible , but hard to defeat ?
                        Dont say it is easy. :)
                        Why the hell there is so much hue & cry over small matter. Can pakistan or china intercept brahmos? This missile is mainly target for these two countries. India is not gonna go to war against whole world. Dont worry, be happy! .
                        Last edited by indianguy4u; 19 Sep 05,, 09:54.
                        Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Launched from aircraft? How much does this thing weight? I'm betting it is too heavy to launch from a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by JBodnar39
                            Launched from aircraft? How much does this thing weight? I'm betting it is too heavy to launch from a fighter.
                            Hasn't been tested yet. Maybe a smaller version could be carried on su30mkis.
                            Last edited by indianguy4u; 19 Sep 05,, 15:26.
                            Hala Madrid!!

Comment

It is good but not revolutionary

I dug a bit more on the net to get specifics on the Brahmos and from what I'm seeing it is a good missle, but certainly not revolutionary like it is being made out to be. It is indeed very very fast at Mach 3+, but so were other much older missles like the SSN22, SSN19, and AS-6. What I see is a design that can do what the AS-6/SSN-19 can do in relation to speed, but a smaller version at about the third the weight/range/and warhead size as the SSN19.

I'm sure that it has improved targeting over those older missles, but to me it simply seems like a modernized and smaller version of those missles. The warhead size is a bit bigger than something like Harpoon (660lbs v 488lbs for Harpoon) and its highspeed and longer range certainly give it an advantage over Harpoon in a bluewater engagement, but compard to Harpoon it is HUGE. The ship launched version is about 24' long and weighs 6600lbs compared to a shiplaunched Harpoon at 15' and about 1400 pounds. This is going to limit the number of missles that can be fitted on a surface ship dramatically. The Delhi's carry 16 SSN25's - if I'm not mistaken - and each of those is about 12 feet long, weighs 1400lbs and has a diameter of 42cm. The Brahomos is twice as long, almost twice as wide (at 67cm) and 4 and 1/2 times as heavy. As a result you would be able to fit - at the most - 8 and probably only 4 Brahomos on a Delhi in comparision to 16 SSN25's.

The Brahomos is too long and wide to be launched from any SSN that I am aware of. I saw a photo of one mounted under an SU-30. At 5500 pounds in an air lauched version the SU-30 can carry one - max. I guess - theoretically - you could mount one under a MiG-29K but with the new Indian carrier's ski-jump the MiG29K could probably barely take off with one (if at all) and the aircraft's range would be severly limited. So they question is, do you want a missle that is faster and longer ranged at the cost of being able to mount as half as many on your ships and a fourth as many on your aircraft?

Comments?

Comment

Working...
                              X