• Show
Clear All

• Hugo the Horrible

Reading this article at the source is recommended:
    http://reason.com/hod/js083105.shtml

Hugo the Horrible
    Assassination's a bad idea, but the Venezuelan strongman still sucks
    Julian Sanchez

It's been a pretty good week for Hugo Chávez. In the wake of televangelist Pat Robertson's ill-conceived call for the Venezuelan leader's assassination (or perhaps, on second thought, just kidnapping, or a dinner date), Jesse Jackson has flown down to offer his support, and at least some of the reports to emerge from the media flurry prompted by Robertson's gaffe leave the impression that Chávez is, all things considered, not such a bad guy.

As the Houston Chronicle notes, the populist Chávez—whose 1998 victory at the ballot box was preceded by a failed military coup in 1992—remains a kind of icon for many on the left. One Reuters report titled "Campaign to ring Chavez alarm fails to resonate" painted him as a benevolent, baby-hugging leader who's been the victim of "largely unsubstantiated Bush administration accusations." Even the American Enterprise Institute's staunchly anti-Chávez Marc Falcoff suggested that he was essentially a "nuisance," not so much a cause for serious concern as a character in "Latin America's latest opéra bouffe."

But one need not approve of murder as a diplomatic tactic to view Chávez—who's recently said he'd like to govern until 2030—with a wary eye. Though he came to power thanks to the appeal of a radical anti-corruption, anti-poverty platform, Venezuela still ranks near the bottom of Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index, and poverty has risen under his rule. (As Thor Halvorssen, recent founder of the Human Rights Foundation, quipped to me this weekend: "Chávez loves the poor so much, he wants to create as many of them as he can.")

At home, Chávez has been eager to clamp down on a privately-owned media, most recently by way of a controversial media law. In an interview first published late last year pro-Chávez National Assembly member William Lara explained that the new law "neither limits nor restricts freedom of information," is in fact "a profoundly democratic law that places in the hands of Venezuelan citizens the possibility of participating in the communications message in both radio and television," shortly before clarifying that under the new rules "any insult directed at the President of the Republic, or at any other citizen, constitutes slander, injury and vilification." The organization Reporters Without Borders has chronicled a campaign of both legal harassment and threats of physical violence, often at the hands of the Círculos Bolivarianos, effectively private militia groups that Chávistas euphemistically characterize as "community groups." Those who signed a petition calling for an unsuccessful 2004 recall of Chavez have been similarly targeted, denied access to government grants, jobs, and microloans.

The Venezuelan president has also helped to undermine the rule of law by packing his country's supreme court with loyalists. A 2003 report by the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights found among the country's persistent problems:

the failure to enforce the new constitution, the perceived lack of independence of the branches of government, the growing concentration of power in the national executive, the impunity with which armed civilian groups and death squads conduct their activities, the tendency to confrontation and to denigrate the traditional political opposition on the part of the government, the constant attacks on journalists and the news media, the tendency to militarization of public administration through the increasingly prominent role of the armed forces, the growing radicalization of political stances in the context of widespread public discontent with the failure to meet social demands, controversies over the exercise of trade union rights, and the climate of harsh political intolerance and, in relation to the inter-American system, the repeated and persistent failure of the State to comply with precautionary measures granted by the IACHR[..]
    But if thuggery begins at home, it does not end there—which is perhaps the real reason for outsiders to worry about Chávez. He has been a source of political—and probably also financial—support for Bolivian demagogue Evo Morales. His famously cozy relationship with Cuban dictator Fidel Castro has grown so close that, late last year, a law was passed granting Cuban judges and security forces jurisdiction within Venezuela. In short, Chávez trades Venezuelan petrodollars for help controlling his own population. Some fear that, should Castro die while Chávez remains in power, Venezuelan cash could help keep Cuba communist. And as fast as oil keeps pumping out of Venezuelan wells, those same petrodollars keep propaganda pumping from the largely Venezuelan-funded Telesur network.

There's also no small amount of evidence to suggest that Chávez's government has provided support—in the form of both sanctuary and materiel to the Marxist terrorist group FARC, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia.

The question of how to handle Chávez, however, remains thorny—and not just because the U.S. imports some 15 percent of its oil from Venezuela. Robertson's controversial remarks may have ultimately done some good if they shine a spotlight on the Venezuelan president, as this Washington Post editorial suggests they have. But a too-aggressive posture could well backfire . Already, Chávez has used the Robertson flap as a pretext to suspend permits for foreign missionaries. More importantly, though, overt U.S. hostility could fuel nationalist support for Chávez by giving credence to his longstanding claims that the U.S. orchestrated the failed 2002 coup against him and harbors plans to, as Robertson so elegantly put it, "take him out." Resentment of perceived U.S. interference may have helped Chávez rebound from a pre-coup popularity slump.

Venezuelans don't seem to share their leader's vitriolic hatred of the United States. A Pew Global Attitude Survey found that Venezuelan attitudes toward the U.S. and its market system were among the most positive in the world—far more so than in, say, Western Europe. That may be why Eliézer Otaiza, who heads Venezuela's land reform program, explained in a recent interview that it was necessary to foment hatred of the United States in preparation for "war" with the hegemon to the north. Chávez clearly hopes to use conflict with the U.S. to rally support for himself as an alternative power center—both within Venezuela and throughout Latin America.

If the proper response to Chávez is far from obvious, though, the proper attitude could not be more clear. Flush with revenue bolstered by record-high oil prices and imbued with a bizarre vision of himself as a kind of Latin American Don Quixote, Chávez may be a clown—but he's a scary clown whose regional influence is deadly serious.

Julian Sanchez is an assistant editor of Reason. He lives in Washington, D.C.

http://reason.com/hod/js083105.shtml

Originally posted by Leader
    the Venezuelan strongman still sucks
    That says it best...
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

many in US put so much attention to Chavez speaches and his friendship with Castro just because they need to TV air with something. Recently New Orlean was a good case what a media can make from an event.... I don't know how much casualties would be found but it would be sure below 10,000 estimated by somebody for media - media needs sensations.

As for Venezuellian threat to US I don't see it
      - Millitarily Venezuela can not threat USA dominance in the region. The max they may hope for is to defend themselves against advocates of "Invation to Venezuela"
      - Economically Venezuela is far more dependent on US oil market that on any other. Transporting oil half globe to other markets only seems to be easy. In fact it would take years to adjust refineries in new regions to process Venezuelian heavy crude;
      - Politically US dominates all the regional unions and organizations..... Venezuela is not a regional power having much support of its neighbours.

so what remains is the "soup opera talks" and friendship with Castro. Really this changes nothing..... if you focus on important things Venezuela is not a threat to US, unless you are control freaks and need that every latin american politician asks approval from State Dep for each of his action.....

and Now we get to the last issue - Chavez is a threat only to one group - US OIL COMPANIES who will have to pay higher taxes on their investments to Venezuela...... This brings back the major issue which makes State Dep to vory... but what it has to do with USA policy?
      Last edited by Garry; 13 Sep 05,, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry
        many in US put so much attention to Chavez speaches and his friendship with Castro just because they need to TV air with something.
        You mean we listen to what he says and watch what he does? How dare we do that!?

As for Venezuellian threat to US I don't see it
        I'm shocked. America has no enemies according to you.

- Millitarily Venezuela can not threat USA dominance in the region. The max they may hope for is to defend themselves against advocates of "Invation to Venezuela"
        They can't even hope to do that.

so what remains is the "soup opera talks" and friendship with Castro. Really this changes nothing.....
        It makes him an annoyance. Annoyances have a way of becoming quite bothersome after a while.

and Now we get to the last issue - Chavez is a threat only to one group - US OIL COMPANIES
        They're more of a threat to him.

who will have to pay higher taxes on their investments to Venezuela......
        Thus reducing the amount they invest. Just what Venezuela needs.

Comment

You mean we listen to what he says and watch what he does? How dare we do that!?

I'm shocked. America has no enemies according to you.

They can't even hope to do that.

It makes him an annoyance. Annoyances have a way of becoming quite bothersome after a while.

They're more of a threat to him.

Thus reducing the amount they invest. Just what Venezuela needs.
          Exactly. Chavez is as good topic for media when they run out of people's attention. But is rethoric is no effect.

Anoyance?!?!? Only to those who are stupid and is a control freak... who cares what others speak if they can not do anything.

When I see how much oil investment was made in Nigeria and how much it brought to this nation I start questioning myself if oil investments are good thing at all? A beter measure must be an impact it makes on a society. So far on UAE managed to use this gift riht way.... others - S.Arabia, Russia and even Norvegia are skrewing up

Comment

"Anoyance?!?!? Only to those who are stupid and is a control freak..."

Maybe authoritarians are your kind of people. I find them annoying and potentially dangerous.

"who cares what others speak if they can not do anything. "

He can't do it now, but you need to watch him to make sure he doesn't.

"When I see how much oil investment was made in Nigeria and how much it brought to this nation I start questioning myself if oil investments are good thing at all?"

On one hand you have nothing. No development. No jobs. On the other you have what you describe..

Comment

Sam the horrible...

What makes the writer think that a US puppet is good for Venezuelans?.

Comment

Originally posted by AdmiralYamamoto
                What makes the writer think that a US puppet is good for Venezuelans?.
                Yeah that's what's being said.

Comment

Yeah that's what's being said.
                  Rest assured, if an American doesn't have it his way, everything else is condemnable.
                  Last edited by AdmiralYamamoto; 18 Sep 05,, 21:40.

Comment

Rest assured, if an American doesn't have it his way, everything else is condemnable.
                    False

Comment

Yamamoto, actually their puppet would be better than Chavez. Not that I support puppet regimes. Case in example, Pinochet. You dismiss him all you want, but the fact that Chile is the only country in Latin America that is somewhat comparable to Europe , America when it comes to standard of living. As far as Pinochet ordering killings, just look at the record of leftwing thugs like Noriega and Argentine Generals.

Comment

Originally posted by gilgamesh
                        Yamamoto, actually their puppet would be better than Chavez. Not that I support puppet regimes. Case in example, Pinochet. You dismiss him all you want, but the fact that Chile is the only country in Latin America that is somewhat comparable to Europe , America when it comes to standard of living. As far as Pinochet ordering killings, just look at the record of leftwing thugs like Noriega and Argentine Generals.
                        Since when Noriega (who was a CIA collaborator) and the Argentine Junta (who were killing Communists by the thousands) are considered to be left wing ?

Also Chile dismissed the government run social security, as opposed to every single Western European country. So I'm not sure where your comparison originates from.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint
                          Since when Noriega (who was a CIA collaborator) and the Argentine Junta (who were killing Communists by the thousands) are considered to be left wing ?

Also Chile dismissed the government run social security, as opposed to every single Western European country. So I'm not sure where your comparison originates from.

Ooops, my bad, that should be Ortega. Manuel Ortega I think, of El Slavadore. Then there's shining path, leftists of Peru, Brazil and CUBA!

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint

Is that a good or a bad thing? If I am right social security is the bane of western govts(in Italy more than its GDP).

Comment

Working...
                            X