PDA

View Full Version : Life at Sea on a Pre-Dreadnought

sparten
09 Sep 05,, 10:36
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/battleship.htm

Very Interesting read. A class of BB's no one really cares about anymore.

Dreadnought
19 Sep 05,, 18:37
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/battleship.htm

Very Interesting read. A class of BB's no one really cares about anymore.

You were right Sparten a very interesting read :)

Defcon 6
22 Sep 05,, 20:35
I was thinking, what exactly would be classified as a Dreadnought today. If I went and said lets build a modern dreadnought, how would that be defined? I would have to describe it as something...A very large capital ship for one. Flag ships most likely, but carry beyond the call of duty weapons, shock and awe in the extreme. But a battleship can do that as well. A type of battleship? And what was unique about them?

Besides time period what makes a dreadnought a dreadnought?

A one off ship? Anyways I still like my BB(X) advanced battleship. Light and fast and armed to the teeth.

Oh that reminds me! I seen something on dreadnoughts on the history channel. It was live color footage of WW I battleships! I don't know how it was color...I know for certain that there are color photographs from this time period so I'm surely possible to capture colored film? Anyways it dipicted German and British WW I dreadnoughts firing and sailing around. Stuff like that. Didn't have sound, but the history channel added sound in. Special effects i guess? Have you seen what I'm talking about?

sparten
23 Sep 05,, 16:39
Dreadnoughts have a main armament of large calibre guns only.

As for color video must have been cool, don't know how they were made.

Dreadnought
23 Sep 05,, 18:37
Hmm what makes a Dreadnought a Dreadnought good question i would think

A large "capital" ship namely a battleship, displacing a minimum 12-20,000 tons having only large calibur guns, a steam powerplant not capable of more then 25 knots, fair but heavy armor in only certain areas of the ship ie the citidel etc. Big, Ugly, Dark in color, And can take one hell of a hit and still come home even if sinking at the time...lol

Compare any of the Iowas to any newer design and im sure you would get the general idea in comparrison :)

Defcon 6
23 Sep 05,, 21:24
Not quite. Putting aside the time line. In a modern variation what is it? A ship with big guns and armor is a battleship in my mind. So the dreadnought is a type of battleship. From what you have said I tend to lean towards it being a fast ship with big guns but little armor compared to a battleship. So it's good at offensive but not defensive?

Defcon 6
23 Sep 05,, 21:27
Dreadnoughts have a main armament of large calibre guns only.

As for color video must have been cool, don't know how they were made.

I might know. I've been thinking about it. Color film has been around almost as long as black and white. (film as in photographs) the reason it was never used is because it degraded quickly. The technology did not exist to preserve the colors and film integrity from what I understand. So film...might be the same way. I'll go find some color ww1 pics and see if anyone wants to look at them.

sparten
24 Sep 05,, 06:08
Compare any of the Iowas to any newer design and im sure you would get the general idea in comparrison :)

Lutzow, Seydelitz from the HSF at Jutland would certainly qualify.

Defcon 6
24 Sep 05,, 07:27
FOUND THEM!

colored pictures of World War 1 circa 1915-1917

French Soliders. I'll post all of the pictures I know of at the multimedia forum. I'll make a new thread there. Now I'm gonna go look for colored photos of naval ships for you guys.

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/image/memoire/0083/sap01_ca000500_p.jpg

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/image/memoire/0083/sap01_ca000498_p.jpg

Dreadnought
27 Sep 05,, 18:37
Lutzow, Seydelitz from the HSF at Jutland would certainly qualify.

Absolutely Sparten
At times I would think even Hood would fit this catagory. Even know she was a battlecruiser she certainly had the look and the displacemnt @42,000 tons, 8X15" main and 14x4" secondary with 4x21" torpedo tubes and a compliment of 1341 men. However poorly armored for the battles she fought. Grant you she wasnt a battleship IMO she could certainly pass for one. I wonder had she been armored as well as the Bizmark would the outcome have been different? My question is why would they have Hood open up on Bizmark first instead of the Price of Whales? i.e. Why have a battlecruiser do the job of a battleship especially if they are to be together? Was it because of the Price's status at the time (unfinished, uncertain shakedown) or was it SOP for the Royal Navy to do this? Do you think if the Price of Whales opened on her first things may have been different? Now that I ask you these questions i find the POW's guns (10X14") were smaller then Hoods maybe that may account for why Hood opened up first. I just dont understand why they would arm a battlecruiser with heavier guns then a battleship unless thay had no other guns to ship.

EnigmaNZ
22 Dec 05,, 00:52
I'm guessing here, but seems logical. At the time battleships had main guns of different calibre, eg, it may have had 12 in inline and 9.4 in on the beam. When the designers came up with the concept of one calibre for all main guns, have them all inline, and upped the size as well, say to 13 in, what do you call the ship, being as there was intense national pride involved, a battleship, been done, didn't differentiate from what had gone earlier. This was a new more powerful class, but whats sounds more powerful than a battleship, ah, dreadnought, a cut above a normal battleship of the time period.

Artificial colouring of old black and white films has been done for ages. The accassional old classic has been aired here from time to time, now colourised. Though it has a artificial look to it .