officer vs. enlisted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• officer vs. enlisted

I have something thats been bugging me for quite a time now.
    Which rank is higher?
    Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy(E-9)+ or a lieutenant(O-3)?

I know that Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy is much harder to be. BUt a lieutenant is an officer while the petty officer isnt?

can someone explain to me how the system works?

Originally posted by huh_what
    I have something thats been bugging me for quite a time now.
    Which rank is higher?
    Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy(E-9)+ or a lieutenant(O-3)?

I know that Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy is much harder to be. BUt a lieutenant is an officer while the petty officer isnt?

can someone explain to me how the system works?
    I'll take a stab at it....

To answer your first question: The O-3 Lieutenant outranks the MCPO of the Navy. Any officer (O-whatever) always outranks any enlisted man.
    The MCPO must salute first, call the Lieutenant "Sir".

However, if that Lieutenant knows what's good for him, he will treat any NCO and especially a Chief with deference and respect. If not, that sudden shifting under his feet will be the carpet being yanked out from under him.
    An often heard response in the Navy: "Go ask the Chief!"

A petty officer is a non-commisioned officer, whilst the Lieutenant is commisioned.

A good primer is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-commissioned_officer
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Wow. It's pretty hard for me to imagine that.
      You look at a MCPO and they're highly decorated.

It's hard to imagine a senior MCPO with piled up experience salute to a young lieutenant who just graduated from an academy.

Same goes for the army and the airforce.
      Sergeant Major of the Army inferior to a lieutenant
      Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force inferior to a lieutenant

BTW, is an officer-cadet a C O?

Comment

Wow. It's pretty hard for me to imagine that.
        You look at a MCPO and they're highly decorated.

It's hard to imagine a senior MCPO with piled up experience salute to a young lieutenant who just graduated from an academy.
        Yeah, it is rather galling to imagine an MCPO or Sergeant-Major having to salute some 22 year old Ensign who probably doesnt have to shave but twice a week...

BTW, is an officer-cadet a C O?
        Not a clue.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The Luitenant is higher ranked, but the Master Chief has the ear of the skipper, and you better believe that the luitenant will treat him with all due respect and reverance any time the Master Chief speaks.

Much like Sgt Majs, Master Chiefs are NOT to be effed around with. They will F you up bad. A junior officer is no more than a snack for an E-9. ;)

A CO is a Commanding Officer.

Comment

This is what my RSM screamed at a Lt at the parade square " Sir can you bloody hell dig in your boots" The RSM is the biggest F at the parade square...
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

I believe the Master Cheif reports all enlisted matters directly the highest ranking Officer? So that way, the M.Cheif wouldn't have do deal with lieutenants. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
                I believe the Master Cheif reports all enlisted matters directly the highest ranking Officer? So that way, the M.Cheif wouldn't have do deal with lieutenants. Right?
                No, definitely not. Not only do different jobs and working arrangements determine which NCOs deal with which officers, but one of the explicit duties of each and every senior NCO is to develop junior officers. Which is exactly why the smart junior officer isn't going to be trying to get pushy with the senior NCO. That old guy can make or break that shiny new career with a little effort, or he can go all the way nuclear and either get the guy decorated or imprisoned.

Bottom line: keep that grumpy old man happy, keep your ears open and your mouth shut, and NEVER point out that you out-rank him - he already knows that, and lot of other stuff, too, that he COULD share with you, if he figures you're worth it.

Comment

ok.

Comment

The only reason the navy has Lts, so master chiefs will have some one to dance with at ships parties!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                      No, definitely not. Not only do different jobs and working arrangements determine which NCOs deal with which officers, but one of the explicit duties of each and every senior NCO is to develop junior officers. Which is exactly why the smart junior officer isn't going to be trying to get pushy with the senior NCO. That old guy can make or break that shiny new career with a little effort, or he can go all the way nuclear and either get the guy decorated or imprisoned.

Bottom line: keep that grumpy old man happy, keep your ears open and your mouth shut, and NEVER point out that you out-rank him - he already knows that, and lot of other stuff, too, that he COULD share with you, if he figures you're worth it.
                      Unless he is assigned as Command Master Chief, then he reports directly to the XO on enlisted matters, a carry over from the sub navy known as Chief Of The Boat. No Master Chief on board, then the most senior chief onboard is assigned, known as the Senior Enlisted Advisor also reports directly to the XO.

Comment

Originally posted by porsteamboy
                        Unless he is assigned as Command Master Chief, then he reports directly to the XO on enlisted matters, a carry over from the sub navy known as Chief Of The Boat. No Master Chief on board, then the most senior chief onboard is assigned, known as the Senior Enlisted Advisor also reports directly to the XO.
                        Yes, true. Functions roughly the same as our First Sergeant.

Comment

Working...
                        X