Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A book everyone on the WAB should read

Hey folks.

I'm a sci fi nerd. Last night I was re-reading one of E.E. "Doc" Smith's last books, "Subspace Explorers".

Doc's space opera books, like the Lensman series, contain some elements of politics, and he clearly has sympathies that parallel mine (or I parallel what his were, whatever). But re-reading S.E. last night I was grinning ear-to-ear, because even though it was written 40 years ago by a guy who had started writing stuff like that back in the 1930s, it is has wonderful parallels with some of today's issues.

So I think everyone should find a copy and read it, and then we could discuss it.

It's hokey, it's pulpy, it's heroic, but keep in mind that it's by the author that invented hokey, pulpy, and heroic space opera. Literally.

Anyway, that's my recommendation.

-dale

I think I've still got it somewhere in my library, I'll dig it out and re-read it. It's a bit of a bugger really, I've just had to re-read the Flashman series (including buying the new one) because Bluesman was talking about them, now I've got to go through these again
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
      I think I've still got it somewhere in my library, I'll dig it out and re-read it. It's a bit of a bugger really, I've just had to re-read the Flashman series (including buying the new one) because Bluesman was talking about them, now I've got to go through these again
      Dam your eyes, parihaka! Haw-haw!

dalem, I'm thoroughly interested. I'll pick up the first one. What's the title?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
        Dam your eyes, parihaka! Haw-haw!

dalem, I'm thoroughly interested. I'll pick up the first one. What's the title?
        Sorry, the book I am re-reading now and with the parallels is "Subspace Explorers". I would also recommend any of Smith's Space Opera, again, since he invented the damned thing. The Lensman series is wonderfully fun.

-dale

Comment

great!

I have an hardback aniv. ed. of "Skylark"
          Wonderfully done. Can't find right now, but any-one keen is welcome to drop me a note and I'll dig out the ISBN. :)
          Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
            ....It's hokey, it's pulpy...
            ...and any other superlatives you might want to use!
            But it; and the rest of his books, did provide many an hour of enjoyment.
            Will try to get hold of a copy.

Down with the Eddorians!!!!
            When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

I have just finished installing about 20 square metres of shelf space and started taking my books out of boxes when guess what I found. I immediately started reading it but her indoors did the 'get back to work' routine so guess I'll get a decent crack at it tonight. (I'm up to the bit about the unions agitating in the copper mines) (also found a Delambert family and a couple of Lensman, including the first)
              Ever read any Doc Savage by the way? Along the same sort of lines.

Leibniz

Comment

Excellent! I'd love to hear your opinions on it as you read and when you're done.

-dale

Comment

Well my word, he was a clever old chap wasn't he. I had thought that I first read of the concept of enlightened self-interest in the Illuminatus trilogy but no, there it was in Subspace Explorers, read when I was too young to see what he was getting at.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                  X