Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian army modernises aviation:to purchase 197 choppers

New Delhi, PTI :

In its major drive underway to modernise all arms -- Infantry, Armour, Artillery and Mechanised units, Army has finalised plans to expand its aviation wing with acquisition of 197 light helicopters as also to equip itself with light helicopter gunships for use in high-altitude areas.

Top officials said Army was awaiting the nod from the government for rapid expansion of its air fleet, after making a strong case for having its own medium lift transport helicopters, assault choppers, anti-tank combat helicopters and for the first time, to have limited number of light fixed wing aircraft.

Army officials have lamented lack of close air support in counter-isurgency operations, high-altitude areas and during Kargil operations to press for expansion of its air arm.

The contract for 197 light helicopters to replace its ageing fleet of Cheetahs and Chetaks is almost at the final stages with two major bidders, the Eurocopter and American Bell Textron completing their second and final round of summer trials in Jammu and Kashmir and Rajasthan.

The Army Aviation Corp proposes to buy 55 helicopters outright and the remaining 142-odd be built under licence at Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics in a deal estimated to be worth more 500 million US dollars.
    Wild Wild Web sigpic

I thought that they were going to replace the Cheetahs and Chetaks with the Dhruvs?

Comment

Wont it be better to buy ALH. If we dont buy then who the hell will. Will france buy Ef2000 instead of rafales. Silly logic.
      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u
        Wont it be better to buy ALH. If we dont buy then who the hell will. Will france buy Ef2000 instead of rafales. Silly logic.
        We've got a job to do and waiting around for the proper kit from home ain't going to get the job done, especially when other kits are already here and ready.

Defence industries are a mostly a political matter, not an operational one. I really don't care where my gun comes from ... as long as I do have a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
          We've got a job to do and waiting around for the proper kit from home ain't going to get the job done, especially when other kits are already here and ready.

Defence industries are a mostly a political matter, not an operational one. I really don't care where my gun comes from ... as long as I do have a gun.
          What i wanna say is after 15 odd yrs of investments has the said helo being produced with foreign co help (means spent monies for consultation etc), shouldnt that got the priority? Its not that its waste, its good enough. But ....... .
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Hehehehehehe, I know how that goes.

Yes, you will have a fair competition. Just make damn sure that ALH wins. The CF done it with the M-16 over the Chinese 5.56 rechambered AK47.

Comment

The Dhruv has its job cut out.
              Some 300+ are already on order.
              The Army alone accounts for 160 of those.

A spin-off version LCH is being developed - or awaits funding.

Besides , what is GSQR for this tender ?
              Note that the report says there are two bidders.
              Only two.Bell and Eurocopter.

Why is HAL not contesting ?

Comment

I hope the army gets some attack helicopters like the Tiger or the Apache.

Comment

Originally posted by VayuSena
                  Hal is developing a version of it using bits of ALH.
                  Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                    The Dhruv has its job cut out.
                    Some 300+ are already on order.
                    The Army alone accounts for 160 of those.

A spin-off version LCH is being developed - or awaits funding.

Besides , what is GSQR for this tender ?
                    Note that the report says there are two bidders.
                    Only two.Bell and Eurocopter.

Why is HAL not contesting ?
                    kamov was also involved(they offered the ka226)but got eliminated earlier.
                    the lch resembles the tiger in terms of size and specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaditya
                      kamov was also involved(they offered the ka226)but got eliminated earlier.
                      the lch resembles the tiger in terms of size and specifications.
                      Should also in performance :). They have taken help from european firms for ALH & LCH. Lets wait & see how the latter pans out.
                      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by VayuSena
                        The IAF refused to allow the army to have the Mi-35 gunships, they wanted to protect their domain.
                        I thought that they were going to replace the Cheetahs and Chetaks with the Dhruvs?
                        Thats what even I was thinking. But since the Dhruv is not a heavy lift chopper, I guess the tender would be for medium or heavy lift choppers.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                          The IAF refused to allow the army to have the Mi-35 gunships, they wanted to protect their domain.

Thats what even I was thinking. But since the Dhruv is not a heavy lift chopper, I guess the tender would be for medium or heavy lift choppers.
                          the dhruv is a medium lift helicopter in the 5.5 ton class,there is aplan to develop a joint 10-12 ton helicopter with the eurocopter(either based on the eh101 or the cougar)but they are intended to replace the mi172's.

Comment

The Mi-35s are very good, but i wouldnt call them dedicated attack helicopters. They are like a blackhawk and apache hybrid, since they can transport 8 passengers and they carry a very wide range of powerful weapons. I would like to see something like the Ka-52 in the IAF or in the army. They are dedicated attack helicopters and they are comparable to the apache.

Comment

I don't think ALH could be considered as attack helicopters. They are more like utility copters. Besides I think that's what the army asked for at the first place. I think what the IA is looking for is an attack helicopter. LCH would have been a candidate if it had already completed user trails. But it has still not completed the first flight . I think the tiger helicopter would be a good one.

Comment

Working...
                              X