Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey-Greece tensions 'over'

Turkey-Greece tensions 'over'

The Turkish Foreign Minister, Abdullah Gul, has said that long-standing tensions with neighbouring Greece are a thing of the past and their relations are now governed by a climate of friendship and trust.

Mr Gul was speaking during his first official visit to Athens.

Over the past 30 years tensions between Greece and Turkey have brought them to the brink of war on three occasions.

The Turkish foreign minister's upbeat assessment was given at the end of his first day in Athens, after he had held several hours of official talks with his Greek counterpart George Papandreou.

No formal agreements have been signed, but the two foreign ministers did push forward measures to improve economic relations.

Pipeline plan

These include plans to link the natural gas networks so gas can be piped from Turkey to Greece and on to other European countries.

There is no doubt there has been a significant improvement in relations over the past four years, ever since earthquakes in both countries sparked a wave of mutual sympathy and co-operation.

But in reality, despite the rhetoric surrounding this latest visit, there has been little progress in resolving the big outstanding issues, in particular, the division of Cyprus and the disputed boundaries in the Aegean Sea.

On Cyprus the Greek foreign minister repeated there was now an historic opportunity to unite the island as it prepares to join the European Union next year and he said Turkey could play a determining role.

On Wednesday the Turkish foreign minister is due to hold further talks with Mr Papandreou and with the Greek prime minister before returning home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3210734.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

call me bias. but.

the turks say a lot of crap. they made similar claims every year in the past.

Turkey has a very dangerous government.

This is a bull shit claim, i know turks myself.

they want to be friends with greece because that is their threat, other nations around them (who equally dislike them) do not have the strength to stand up, but greece does, and that is why they are "brothers"

<LAUGHS UNCONTROLABLY> turkey:LOL greece

Comment

Originally posted by PiggyWiggy
      call me bias. but.

the turks say a lot of crap. they made similar claims every year in the past.

Turkey has a very dangerous government.

This is a bull shit claim, i know turks myself.

they want to be friends with greece because that is their threat, other nations around them (who equally dislike them) do not have the strength to stand up, but greece does, and that is why they are "brothers"

<LAUGHS UNCONTROLABLY> turkey:LOL greece
      In a heads up fight between the Turks and the Greeks, I'll bet on the Turks. The Greeks don't have the numbers.

Comment

The greeks alone will lose, but i will be more than happy to gather my armenian friends, and help out the greeks.

It is the aga old philosophy, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. that is key to all victory.

Comment

Only if the Armenians somehow convince the Russian Army to get involved. The Turks are the 4th largest military force on earth.

It should be clear to you that there are several military members here. We know far more than you think you do.

Comment

4th largest military force?

How big is their army? How big is their Air force? How big is their Navy?

Thanks.

Comment

according to the cia factbook, 600,000 total.

Comment

The greeks alone will lose, but i will be more than happy to gather my armenian friends, and help out the greeks.

It is the aga old philosophy, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. that is key to all victory.
                I can understand the beef the Greeks and Armenians have with the Turks, what's the deal with the Iranians? Why do they hate the Turks?
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I am not sure, but there are a lot of turks (azeris) in iran, and i think old wars and shit, its not as big as armenians and greeks, but, im preety sure they dont like em.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman420
                    I can understand the beef the Greeks and Armenians have with the Turks, what's the deal with the Iranians? Why do they hate the Turks?
                    The Turkic peoples originally came from the Mongol Steppes and practiced warfare just as brutually as the Mongols and they migrated from the Steppes to their present home, leaving a trail of bodies as they went.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers Only if the Armenians somehow convince the Russian Army to get involved. The Turks are the 4th largest military force on earth.
                      according to the cia factbook, 600,000 total.
                      Does that figure include reserves? The IDF's regular forces and reserve forces number approx 615,000
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

im not sure.

why the hell does israel need 600,000 people in reserve?

Comment

Because for the 6.5 million Jews in Israel, there are about 250 million Arabs who want to kill them. That's an almost 40:1 ratio. Sound fun? Didn't think so...
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

lol why the hell do the jews need a country? werent they fine living under different peoples rule?

i sure as hell know the armenians were better off that way

Comment

Dude, I'm going to ask you to please reconsider that comment, because I, as a Jew and an Israeli find it extremely racist.

Comment

Working...
                              X