Goalkeeper vs. Phalanx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goalkeeper vs. Phalanx

Which CIWS is the best in use today? For gun systems my choice is Goalkeeper. Mk 31 RAM isn't bad either...

Same. Phalanx record isn't very encouraging, and many of the tests seem in unrealistic environments.

Comment

What record is that?

Phalanx so far as i know has never attempted a live intercept before, i don't think any CIWS system has.

Comment

The concept of a CIWS became well known during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 when an Indian anti-ship missile penetrated the tanker PNS Dacca's outer defences. Despite this, Leading Seaman Muhammed Hanif, manning his anti-aircraft gun, kept firing at the incoming missile till the last. Though he destroyed the missile and managed to save the ship, he was himself killed by the explosion. Muhammad Hanif left a legacy that gave birth to a new concept in naval warfare, the Close-in Weapon System, for defence against low flying anti-ship missiles.

Wikipedia.

That might be the only case of a CIWS like situation.
        "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

I would say Phalanx but with the new missles etc out there probably Goalkeeper.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
            The concept of a CIWS became well known during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 when an Indian anti-ship missile penetrated the tanker PNS Dacca's outer defences. Despite this, Leading Seaman Muhammed Hanif, manning his anti-aircraft gun, kept firing at the incoming missile till the last. Though he destroyed the missile and managed to save the ship, he was himself killed by the explosion. Muhammad Hanif left a legacy that gave birth to a new concept in naval warfare, the Close-in Weapon System, for defence against low flying anti-ship missiles.

Wikipedia.

That might be the only case of a CIWS like situation.
            Very interesting. If you have any threads that discuss India-**** naval battles I would love to see them - i have very little info on that

Comment

I have a new contender for the title - 3K87 KORTIK/KASHTAN (-M) or CADS-1(NATO classification). Is it as effective as it looks?
              Attached Files

Comment

Who knows?

It could be great, or it could be like most other russian equipment we end up getting our hands on...

Cheaply built with inferior electronics and radar.

Comment

Basic info on KORTIK/KASHTAN-M:

Possibility of use: all weather
                  Reaction time: 3-7 sec.
                  Sensors: radar / electro-optical
                  Radar: MR-352 POZITIV-M
                  Weight: 7.5 tons
                  Gun type: GSh-6-30K (2) 30mm
                  Rate of fire: 10000 / min.
                  Magazine: 1000 rounds
                  Gun range: 0.3-5 km
                  Gun range-height: 3 km
                  Missile type: 9M-311-1E (SA-N-11)
                  Missile Length: 2.562 m
                  Missile Diameter: 76/152 mm
                  Missile Weight: 43 kg
                  Warhead: 9 kg
                  Max. Speed: 900 m/sec.
                  Missile Range: 1.5-10 km
                  Missile Range-height: 6 km
                  Missiles carried: 8
                  Missiles stored: 32

And some more pictures:
                  Attached Files

Comment

would say goalkeeper for now...

Il bet my money on new PAMMS system when it enter service in Europe.!

Any thoughts..??

Comment

was interested to read this thread, I haven't read much about this area. What looked strikking is why the range of Kortic is so much longer? Slomax reported around 4km while Phalanx and Goalkeeper have around 1.5-1.8km.

Searching on this topic I found very interesting thing that is new to me - a guided shell designed by italians. This makes a 76mm round shot from normal artillery gun meneuvrinable and guided by radar against missiles and aircraft..... sounds really impresive!!!

http://www.otomelara.it/products/sch...ment_davide_ge
                      http://www.analisidifesa.it/articolo...id/4185/ver/EN
                      http://www.otomelara.it/news/news.asp?id=15

This technology can make a artillery guns serve as a powerful CIWS..... Indeed engaging a fast moving missile at a range beyond 2km is a tough task for unguided shells... this thing can engage missiles few km away and bring a large load of explosive!

Is this something new or it is conventional for other Navies?

Comment

PNS Dacca

This is embarrasing as I should know more about the discussion. My father was the Commanding Officer of PNS Dacca when it got hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
                          Is this something new or it is conventional for other Navies?
                          The italians have allways been big fans of the 3"/76mm gun. Back in the 70's/80's, their ships would be covered in them. Gave them a WWII look :)

The 76 won't have the ROF of the lighter 20-30mm guns, but it's range, combined with the size of the sheel, pretty much ensures not only a kill but allso a kill far enough to prevent a shower of high speed fragments shotgunning the ship. Combine that with modern fire control systems...

One imediate advantage I see: the 76 is a multi-purpose gun. CIWS systems are basically 1-threat weapons. But that 76 can engage anything from a plane to a pirate boat :)

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                            What record is that?

Phalanx so far as i know has never attempted a live intercept before, i don't think any CIWS system has.
                            Under tests in the 1980's it conducted itself well under life fire exercises.;)

Look closely at the Iowa class BB Phalanx systems and then look closely at the radar domes above them you will notice a series of broken missle silloettes. These are from tests conducted aboard to ensure they operatre correctly. Wether it is Domestic or Foreign missles used makes no difference on how they will react once detected.
                            Last edited by Dreadnought; 22 Jun 09,, 16:08.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by aaraza98 View Post
                              This is embarrasing as I should know more about the discussion. My father was the Commanding Officer of PNS Dacca when it got hit.
                              Kudos to your father for serving, but this thread is almost FOUR YEARS OLD!! DON'T YOU KNOW NECROPOSTING KILLS KITTENS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X