Rifle Grenades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Grenades

Do we still use rifle grenades? I've never seen one even in a photo. How do the work?
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

I think the Marine Corps still uses some left over from the Vietnam era. Saw it on Mail Call (history channel). I don't think there is widespread use of it in our military.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
      I think the Marine Corps still uses some left over from the Vietnam era. Saw it on Mail Call (history channel). I don't think there is widespread use of it in our military.
      The US Army doesn't.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Most rifle grenades have given way to underbarrel grenade launchers, such as the M203.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

In US forces and Russian Military there gone, replaced with under-barrel units but the french, the Belgians and the german (in limited numbers) still have them though they are loosing favor.
          how does it work? basically you take your standard issue rifle, load a special blank cartridge in it. close the rifles gas system take your grenade, Prime her, attach it to a special cup and put that on your rifle. point to enemy and fire. The gas pressure from the blank propels the grenade. *** DO NOT TRY AT HOME!!!*** kinda like putting a cherry bomb in a trash can and dropping the lid on it ( be sure to run like hell and have a good sized fuse ) Presto flying Saucer!!

Comment

Here's a guy that looks way too happy to be doing what he's supposedly about to do:

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Note that the "spoon" is still on Mr. Hand grenade.

Comment

I would hope the spoon is still on. The grenade is fitted into the carrier cup; the assembly is then put onto the grenade spigot attached to the rifle. The gas cut-off was flipped, a grenade blank (not the same as a regular blank) was loaded, the pin pulled and ready to launch. The spoon wouldn’t be released until after launching.

Modern rifle grenades have a bullet trap in the base and use a standard ball round to launch.
                AK-Dave

Those who trade liberty for security have none.

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88

No, You saw a piece about them pulling old M-79s out of storage and issuing them to EOD and Combat Eng (?)

USMC doesn't use rifle grenades. And hasn't since Korean war

Comment

I don't know about using them in combat, but they trained marines to use them well into the 60's at least. I have dad's 1967 edition Guidebook for Marines and it covers them in detail. (also the M16, M14, M1, flamethrower, 3.5 bazooka...) I guess with the budget the marines got, they kept everything, just in case.
                    Rule 303

Comment

Why do we need rifle grenades when we have extremely effective antimaterial rifles?

Comment

Originally posted by sniperdude411
                        Why do we need rifle grenades when we have extremely effective anti-material rifles?
                        anti-material rifles are to supply sniper like fire. They are bulky and lack the explosive fire power. A rifle grenade like a Grenade launcher is to supply Mortar like fire, raining explosive shells On to an enemy over shorter range.

Comment

1. Grenades are not mae to shower the enemy with shrapnel.
                          2. Anti-material rifles are indeed supplied with explosive rounds like the API, HEAB, and best of all, the Raufoss.
                          3. Rifle grenades are less accurate and bulkier than underbarrel-launched grenades.

Comment

First: I never said Shrapnel I said an explosive round although there are also other rounds they drop on the enemy. The Grenade launcher is a miniature mortar, It supplies Very close range indirect fire. Although in resent years some newer rounds have enabled Direct fire.

Second: Yes they have those rounds. but they have yet to make a Smoke round, a gas Round, a non-lethal baton round. Anti material Rifles are only built to fire a high velocity bullet where a Rifle grenade or Grenade launcher is for low velocity . Different Roles

third: Right on less accurate, Also if the enemy pops up well the soldier is trying to fire a rifle grenade. He could find himself in trouble having to either fire the grenade in a hurry or trying to change his weapon back . However on the second part it's a give an take.
                            Take: A the Grenade launcher adds bulk and weight to a soldiers rifle. adding at least 3 pounds unloaded with out specialized sights
                            Give yet he can carry more grenade rounds because the Grenade rounds are lighter and smaller,
                            Take but this also means they lack the Power of the Rifle grenade.
                            Give But a Grenade launcher has it's own barrel and trigger allowing a soldier reading to fire a chance to defend themselves with there rifle if an enemy pops up.
                            Last edited by Terran empire; 22 Aug 05,, 02:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape
                              No, You saw a piece about them pulling old M-79s out of storage and issuing them to EOD and Combat Eng (?)

USMC doesn't use rifle grenades. And hasn't since Korean war

I know the Marines Combat Engs are using the old M-79s in Iraq, cause my bro the Marine Combat Eng just got back and was telling me about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X