Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French rabbi attacked in street

French rabbi attacked in street

An attack on a rabbi in the Parisian suburbs has been strongly condemned by the French prime minister.
    The government was determined to fight anti-Semitism and religious intolerance, said Jean-Pierre Raffarin.

Several men pushed the rabbi about and one allegedly punched him in the face in Friday's attack in the Essonne area.

Police are holding two men in their 20s over the assault which comes after a string of anti-Semitic attacks on individuals, synagogues and cemeteries.

Rabbi Michel Serfaty was on his way to the Ris-Orangis synagogue when several people began haranguing him, the shoving him about, French TV reported on Sunday.

One of the attackers reportedly got out of his car and punched the rabbi in the face.

Correspondents report that a recent increase in anti-Semitic attacks in France is in part connected to violence in the Middle East.

With Europe's largest Arab and Jewish communities, France is ever sensitive to the possibility of violence far away being reflected close to home.

Chirac row

French President Jacques Chirac has came under fire from the Israeli press for reportedly blocking a statement at last week's EU summit in Brussels condemning a speech about Jews by Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamed.

The French president is said to have opposed including condemnation in the summit's closing declaration on the grounds that it was not the appropriate place for it.

The decision prompted leading Israeli daily Maariv to dub him "The Face of French Anti-Semitism".

Dr Mahathir's speech, in which he told leaders of Muslim states that "Jews run" the world, was widely condemned in the West, and in particular by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on behalf of the EU.

A spokeswoman for the French president has stressed that Mr Chirac also condemned the speech but felt it was more proper for an EU spokesman to make the condemnation than for it to be included in a summit declaration.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3205330.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

one 1st class ticket to hell for each attacker....
    Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Only if every other mugger in the world gets one.

WTF is an anti-semite anyway?

Oh...that's right, it's someone that doesn't shut up and buy the jewish party line, or appplogize for things done by others long ago.

These guys aren't anti-semites, they're no more than common street thugs, and should be treated as no more than that.

I have no guilt over the holocaust. I never gassed any jews.
      The fact that jews whine 'anti-semite' everytime someone dares question them costs them much respect in my eyes.

It's gotten old, real old. The FACT is that the holocaust happened not because the world let it happen, but because the JEWS let it happen. If anyone should bear guilt over the episode, it is the jews themselves. They came up VERY small in fighting back against the Nazi's.

Some will state that the Poles fought back, and i do agree...but the Poles were on the hit list because they were Slavs, REGARDLESS of their religious affiliation. Had the jews stood to be counted in 1936 when Hitler started his shit- as one- the holocaust would have never happened- or at least certainly not to the scale that it did.
      In such a case, it could have been the JEWS that saved the world(by overthrowing the Fuhrer in the beginning, while he was still weak), instead of the world saving the Jews.

Some will now state that the German populace had been disarmed, and that the jews as a general rule refused to be armed to begin with.

You get what happens because you let it happen to begin with. If you elect a maniacal little bastard, and then give him your means of keeping him in check, you deserve what he does to you after you give him the keys to the city.

"Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither" Benjamin Franklin.

There is no one better suited to the defense of oneself than...oneself.

THAT is to me, and should be to all others, the single overriding lesson of the holocaust, and the Israeli's have indeed learned that lesson well.

Pity it took the death of 6 million jews for the jews to relearn the lessons they should well have learnt in the days of Moses.

Comment

I'm pretty confident that the rabbi was attacked by Algerians, as has been case with nearly, if not all, attacks against Jewish persons and property and France.

Basically what we see is the Middle East conflict playing out in the streets of France.

As far as the Holocaust is concerned, the Jews at that time did not form a nation, they were citizens of the various states they lived in. They couldn't have fought back the way nations invaded by Germany did. They could have done two things, hope for the best or emigrate.

In no way do I personally view criticizing Israel or criticizing a Jew as anti-Semitism, attacking and persecuting an individual because he happens to be Jewish is a different matter altogether.

Comment

"They could have done two things, hope for the best or emigrate."

Horse shit.

The Jews of Germany(and indeed of neighboring states) could have marched on the capital and threw that little bastard from power BEFORE they let him consolidate that power. The handwriting was SO clear on the wall, none should dare feign ignorance of Hitler's plans for the Jews- especially not the Jews themselves.

Popular revolt has been done before, and it will surely be done again. All it takes is the courage to risk one's life for the greater good of all his peoples.

The Nazi's had the power, but 100,000 jews marching as one on the Reich Chancellry could have ended WWII before it ever started.

Comment

Heh, Snipe my personal belief is that attacking any Priest (or equivalent) in any faith is a very bad thing. This belief extends itself to muslim clergy, though I have issues with wether or not some of the more radical muslim clerics should really be consider clergy.

And if you can understand that jumble of crap I just typed more power to you, because I really don't know how to explain it any better:D

Comment

My personal belief is that attacking any just man is a crime, regardless of his title, and all such crimes should be treated equally.

For you see, i don't play favorites based on race, religion, or ethnicity.

Comment

you have more faith in the average person than I do... dogs I like dogs, at least you always know where a dog is coming from by how wide open his mouth is.

Comment

I know, it's a character flaw of mine. ;)

Comment

Im just wondering, but do the French police (Gendarmerie or whatever its called) even bother to investiagte these incidents?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                      Im just wondering, but do the French police (Gendarmerie or whatever its called) even bother to investiagte these incidents?
                      Probably. Saying your attacker was Algerian in France would probably be akin to saying your attacker was a six-foot tall black man in Detroit.

/shrug

Comment

WTF is an anti-semite anyway?

Oh...that's right, it's someone that doesn't shut up and buy the jewish party line, or appplogize for things done by others long ago.

These guys aren't anti-semites, they're no more than common street thugs, and should be treated as no more than that.

I have no guilt over the holocaust. I never gassed any jews.
                        The fact that jews whine 'anti-semite' everytime someone dares question them costs them much respect in my eyes.
                        Nobody asked you to apologize for anything.

Its possible these were common street thugs. Its more likely, because of the way things are in France, that it was because he was Jewish. Im not saying its certain though.

No body asked you to feel guilty. Who whined anti-semite at you and for what?

It pisses me off that you generalize that Jews in general whine about the holocaust or call people anti-semites for disagreeing with Israel. I havent done it, I dont know personally any one who has done (although I know some Jews do, but the majority dont).

It's gotten old, real old. The FACT is that the holocaust happened not because the world let it happen, but because the JEWS let it happen. If anyone should bear guilt over the episode, it is the jews themselves. They came up VERY small in fighting back against the Nazi's.
                        Some will state that the Poles fought back, and i do agree...but the Poles were on the hit list because they were Slavs, REGARDLESS of their religious affiliation. Had the jews stood to be counted in 1936 when Hitler started his shit- as one- the holocaust would have never happened- or at least certainly not to the scale that it did.
                        In such a case, it could have been the JEWS that saved the world(by overthrowing the Fuhrer in the beginning, while he was still weak), instead of the world saving the Jews.

Some will now state that the German populace had been disarmed, and that the jews as a general rule refused to be armed to begin with.

You get what happens because you let it happen to begin with. If you elect a maniacal little bastard, and then give him your means of keeping him in check, you deserve what he does to you after you give him the keys to the city.
                        Nobody except any surviving Nazis should bear any guilt.
                        The Jews did not elect Hitler, first off. Secondly he wasnt elected Chancellor at all. He was appointed by Hindenburg. What means did the Jews give Hitler to let him do anything? Hitler purged parliament with full consent from the general population because they were fed up with the weakness of the Weimer Republic. So if you dont wanna blame the nazis for what they did, how about the WWI Allies for imposing such a harsh treaty on Germany? I dont blame em for that and they have no reason to be blamed for it. It was Germany's fault the war happend. But if you are blaming the victems for the crime because you dont like that a few of the victims are whining, then you are out of line. I dont think you are anti-semetic, I think that if you are just buying into a sterio type and using it as fact, and so based on that fact, you arent being anti-semetic at all. But its not a fact. Jews dont spend every waking hour thinking of ways to milk the holocaust to arouse guilt from the world.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                          The Nazi's had the power, but 100,000 jews marching as one on the Reich Chancellry could have ended WWII before it ever started.
                          It probably just would have made those hundred thousand that much easier to kill. Are you going to tell me that if Hitler ordered the army to go out there and kill all those Jew that they wouldn't have done it. After all they did exactly that during the Holocaust. I don't agree that every one in the world is responsible for the Holocaust, but I don't think Jews are either. In the end, the people responsible are the Germans particularly the Germans in power.

My personal belief is that attacking any just man is a crime, regardless of his title, and all such crimes should be treated equally.

For you see, i don't play favorites based on race, religion, or ethnicity.
                          I don't like hate crimes law either. I think that if a person committed a crime for some reason worst then people usually commit crimes for that the judge can give them a little extra time in the slammer during sentencing.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
                            Jews dont spend every waking hour thinking of ways to milk the holocaust to arouse guilt from the world.
                            I'm constantly surprised at how many people think things like that.

Comment

The Jews did not elect Hitler, first off. Secondly he wasnt elected Chancellor at all. He was appointed by Hindenburg.
                              ZFBoxcar's right, Hitler got a plurality of the votes (like 32%), but this wasn't enough to actually elect him. Hindenberg did appoint him, and a year later when Hindenberg died Hitler merged the offices of president and chancellor.

Comment

Working...
                              X