OMG The spin. Saif and Katrinas Lahore experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG The spin. Saif and Katrinas Lahore experience

Man, sure there was a security problem but the Sify story posted earlier on WAB made it sound like it was a security concern like a bomb threat or something. The security concern was out of an uproaring appearance of the Indian actors fans in Lahore! They were all barging in to have a glimpse of the stars.

Imagine the spin! Some people are getting really yellow. Nightmarish experience... Heck they describe a nice time in Lahore! Describe it being like DUBAI!

http://ww1.mid-day.com/hitlist/2005/july/114375.htm

On June 30, a crowd of over 40,000 swung to Yana Gupta’s sexy gyrations in Lahore, while Katrina Kaif made a blink-and-miss appearance in the A Night to Remember show held at the Fortress Stadium.

Saif’s hasty exit

Saif Ali Khan was also supposed to make an entry, but with an excited crowd and thousands of gatecrashers, he had to make a back-door exit without appearing on stage.

The show was organised by Fakhr-e-Alam and sponsored by Warid Telecom. Bombay Rockers, Malkoo and Atif Aslam also rocked at the musical show.

Traumatic experience

Says Katrina, of her second stage appearance ever, “I had gone there to attend, not perform. Yana did some dance numbers; I wasn’t nervous but it was a traumatic, yet momentous experience. A night to remember.”

Katrina’s first stage show as an actress was in Dubai. Was the Lahore experience similar? “I liked Lahore very much, it is very similar to Dubai.

They love Indian stars and the crowd just went wild out there. They kept thronging and pushing against the stage, so I couldn’t stay on for long,” she says.

“People in Lahore are very friendly and warm. I wasn’t there for more than two days, but in that time, I shopped quite a bit — I bought a Western shirt.”

Security concerns

A crowd of 40,000 had turned up for the show, and even VIP passes were of no use as there were too many freeloaders trying to get in. Alam, whose event management company Industree Events and Productions organised the show, denies the charge.

“Being the anchor and organiser of the show, I quickly realised that the mass hysteria generated that evening would have made it very difficult for ground security to keep the backstage area safe after Saif appeared on stage.

That was a risk I was not willing to take, as I was responsible for the safety of the artistes. So we decided not to put Saif on stage. I realised the crowd was getting out of control – they were roaring by the time Katrina came on stage. To prevent a stampede, I took the decision of not letting Saif come on stage.”

Kat wanted to perform

“Katrina was signed two months prior to the show ,” adds Alam, “and at that time, her movie promos (for Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya) were not out.

Hence her management had told us that she does not perform. However, when she arrived in Pakistan, she told us that she would like to perform now that her movie promos are on air. However, it was to late to arrange for rehearsals and dancers.”

Stars charge heavily

Do Indian stars charge for attending or performing in such shows? “Yes, and quite a heavy amount. But with Saif, the figure was not so high as he has become a friend.”

Last year, Alam organised the Live in Karachi show with Saif, Sushmita and Malaika. His shows are jointly produced with Indian partner Wizemindz.
Working...
X