• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattooing Age In Illinois

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servic...login.register

Governor kills measure that would allow teens to get tattoos

The Associated Press

August 10, 2005, 5:35 PM CDT

Gov. Rod Blagojevich on Wednesday killed legislation that would have allowed people younger than 21 to get tattoos.

Blagojevich used amendatory veto power to change a bill that lowered the age to 18. He OK'd other parts of the bill that stiffened penalties for people caught tattooing or doing body piercing on people under 21.

``I don't want my daughters to rush to get tattoos on their 18th birthdays,'' Blagojevich said in a prepared statement. ``At that age, most kids are still in high school and don't have the judgment or perspective to decide on something as permanent as tattooing your skin.''

The veto could be reversed this fall if the General Assembly votes to override Blagojevich's action. The bill passed both houses with large enough majorities to reach the three-fifths majority vote required for a veto override.

The other parts of the measure that were approved by Blagojevich include tougher penalties for people who tattoo teens or offer them body piercing. The tougher penalty -- up to $1,000 fine and 364 days in jail -- also applies to allowing anyone younger than 18 to be on the premises of a business that conducts tattooing and body piercing without being accompanied by a parent or guardian.

------

The bill is HB29. On the Net: http://www.ilga.gov
    Copyright © 2005, The Associated Press

At the age of 18, a person can enlist in the military, get married (in fact this age may be less than 18), buy cigarettes, be charged as an adult for committing a crime (this age is actually lower in a lot of cases as well) as well as a number of other "adult" actvities. So why not a tattoo? I think it is absurd that a 20 year old person here in Illinois has to have their parent with them when they go to get a tattoo.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

That guy is a loser. Sounds like he doesn't want his purdy little daughters to get it or something.

I hope it's not like this in PA. I'm only 17. I can't possibly wait for another 4 years if it's 21.

Comment

Nanny government.

Comment

Hey, if an 18-year old wants to get a tattoo and then has to regret getting it and pony up the grand or so to have to have it removed, that's their business.
        The government needs to stay out of stuff like this. 18-years are adults!
        (Though I completely support the 21 year old drinking law)
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
          That guy is a loser. Sounds like he doesn't want his purdy little daughters to get it or something.

I hope it's not like this in PA. I'm only 17. I can't possibly wait for another 4 years if it's 21.

Okay, I am not trying to say that the govenor is a "loser" - I voted for him and I support him - I am only saying that I completely disagree with him on this topic.

There is a sign in the office of the gentleman who did my last tattoo, and it read:

"The difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if you are not tattooed." From my experience - This is very true.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
            At the age of 18, a person can enlist in the military, get married (in fact this age may be less than 18), buy cigarettes, be charged as an adult for committing a crime (this age is actually lower in a lot of cases as well) as well as a number of other "adult" actvities. So why not a tattoo? I think it is absurd that a 20 year old person here in Illinois has to have their parent with them when they go to get a tattoo.
            The answer's simple. Join the military, get shipped to Fort Benning, GA, and get your tattoo on Victory Drive. Chances are, you'll have a cooler tattoo that way, anyways, and it will be cheaper. If you outgrow the tattoo while you're still in, you have a chance at getting it removed for free. There's never problems, only solutions
            "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek
              The answer's simple. Join the military, get shipped to Fort Benning, GA, and get your tattoo on Victory Drive.
              That is what I'll be doing. Only, it will be P. Island.

Comment

I have a tattoo of a falcon on by left arm and I love it. I am only 20 (17 when I got it).

As for regrets, at the time I got it, a friend went with me to the palour, we had just done "Sound of Music" on stage, and he got a Nazi Swatsika on his left arm. He hates it, his Dad is now posted to our embassy in Germany and he has a big problem everytime he goes to visit his parents.
                "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                  I have a tattoo of a falcon on by left arm and I love it. I am only 20 (17 when I got it).

As for regrets, at the time I got it, a friend went with me to the palour, we had just done "Sound of Music" on stage, and he got a Nazi Swatsika on his left arm. He hates it, his Dad is now posted to our embassy in Germany and he has a big problem everytime he goes to visit his parents.

I assume it is a straight black swastika - how hard can that be to cover up? :) My first was done by hand (I was not known for thinking things through when I was a kid) in a friends living room 14 years ago when I was only 15 - That has long since been covered up. I have no regrets on mine. Maybe I would put them in different places if I could go back now, but I am far from actually regretting them. Contrary to popular belief (and I may be in the minority on this) I have not found that having tattoos out in the open where they can be seen by all has inhibited my life at all, career wise, anyway - I still have a great job with a wonderful company that I know will be around long enough for me to retire from in another 35 years or so (ouch, 35 years, that hurt).

Comment

"The answer's simple. Join the military, get shipped to Fort Benning, GA, and get your tattoo on Victory Drive. Chances are, you'll have a cooler tattoo that way, anyways, and it will be cheaper. If you outgrow the tattoo while you're still in, you have a chance at getting it removed for free. There's never problems, only solutions"

Heh, got mine at Fast Freddies in Columbus. :)

Comment

I havent given up on my idea for my beloved THL's next tat.
                      Maybe something a little less complex than my last idea....
                      Attached Files
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                        "The answer's simple. Join the military, get shipped to Fort Benning, GA, and get your tattoo on Victory Drive. Chances are, you'll have a cooler tattoo that way, anyways, and it will be cheaper. If you outgrow the tattoo while you're still in, you have a chance at getting it removed for free. There's never problems, only solutions"

No ink for me. Also, VD has actually been cleaned up a little. Traffic Light was shut down for a while, Chicksaws went out of business permanently after getting busted for selling liquor to minors twice (what a surprise!). There's a Rite Aid there now. Also, the FEBA has moved in Columbus. Downtime has been cleaned up, but the old Exit 4 (I think it's exit 6 now) now defines the FEBA, and the mall that was there had about a 25% occupancy rate and was being shut down. The old exit 7 (now 10) is booming, with lots of shopping plazas and business going in there. That was in 2000. I'm sure that it's changed even more since then.
                        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88

I think that 18 is the age you can legally get a tattoo in Pennsylvania.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

Got my first one at Skip's Tattoo in downtown Lancaster, got my second and planned a third at Transcending Flesh. TF was even kind enough to do a touchup on the first tat for ten dollars...after the first place did a shitty job on it, and kept making up excuses to not finish it as advertised after only about 2/3 of it took.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatock
                              Got my first one at Skip's Tattoo in downtown Lancaster, got my second and planned a third at Transcending Flesh. TF was even kind enough to do a touchup on the first tat for ten dollars...after the first place did a shitty job on it, and kept making up excuses to not finish it as advertised after only about 2/3 of it took.

I can't believe they would not even correct their own work. I have not had to have any of mine touched up yet. My cover up was done about 12 years ago and I was told I may have had to had that one touched up as it was bright colors over black, but it is ok so far. The one I just had done is on the top of my foot (much to TopHats dismay) and I will probably have to have that one touched up eventually from walking and my ankle bending.

Comment

Working...
                              X