• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN Suspends Novak

Cussing, walking off show gets Novak suspended by CNN

August 5, 2005

BY ERIC HERMAN Staff Reporter

Chicago Sun-Times columnist Robert Novak swore and then stormed off the set of CNN's "Inside Politics" Thursday, prompting CNN to suspend him indefinitely.

The suspension comes after prolonged pressure on Novak, who is at the center of a federal probe into the leaking of a CIA officer's identity. Novak erupted while he and commentator James Carville were discussing a U.S. Senate campaign in Florida. After the columnist walked off the set, CNN correspondent Ed Henry said he had planned to ask Novak about his role in the investigation.

"Bob Novak's behavior on CNN today was inexcusable and unacceptable. Mr. Novak has apologized to CNN, and CNN apologizes to its viewers for his language and actions. We've asked Mr Novak to take some time off," said CNN spokeswoman Edie Emery.

Novak did not return messages left Thursday evening.

Debate candidate's chances

During the show, Carville and Novak talked about the Senate candidacy of Republican Katherine Harris, who as Florida's secretary of state presided over the tumultuous 2000 presidential recount. Novak argued the opposition of Florida's Republican establishment might not necessarily hurt Harris.

''Let me just finish, James, please,'' Novak continued. ''I know you hate to hear me, but you have to.''

Carville, looking at host Ed Henry, said, "He's got to show these right-wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why the Wall Street Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that you're tough.''

Carville then sat back in his chair, laughing.

''Well, I think that's bullsh*t, and I hate that,'' Novak said. Then, making a sweeping motion with his hands, Novak said to Henry, "Just let it go."

As Henry started to ask Carville a question, Novak stood up and walked off the set.

Carville, known as the "Ragin' Cajun," is a Democratic political consultant who advised Bill Clinton during his 1992 presidential campaign. He and Novak have appeared together often on CNN, frequently sparring on shows like "Crossfire," which feature heated argument as their main attraction. Novak had never left a set before, a CNN source said.

Outed CIA operative

Novak is a political conservative, with views similar to those espoused by the Wall Street Journal's editorial page. The Journal has defended Novak in the furor over the CIA case.

The case involves the outing of Valerie Plame, whom Novak identified as a CIA operative in a July 2003 column. Plame is married to former U.S. ambassador Joseph Wilson, who had criticized intelligence relied on by the Bush administration that it used to justify invading Iraq. Wilson later accused the White House of leaking his wife's identity to discredit him.

A federal investigation led by Chicago's U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald ensued. Novak has repeatedly refused to comment on his role, or say whether he testified before the grand jury. Two other reporters involved fought not to reveal their sources, and Judith Miller of the New York Times is now in jail for refusing to talk.

In June, Henry, who is filling in temporarily as host of "Inside Politics," asked Novak about the case. On Thursday, Novak was told Henry would ask about it again at the end of Thursday's segment, a CNN source said.

In a column that ran in the Sun-Times on Monday, Novak suggested he learned Plame's identity partly from reading Who's Who in America. A CNN source said a producer had placed a copy of Who's Who on the set Thursday prior to the taping, apparently so it could be consulted while Novak was asked about the issue.

Contributing: AP

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...s-novak05.html

Am I the only person in America who's life doesn't revolve around this Ambassador Wilson debacle?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
      Am I the only person in America who's life doesn't revolve around this Ambassador Wilson debacle?
      Nah, I could careless about it too. I just got a kick out of Novak giving it to that arrogant little prick, Carville.

Comment

I agree, Carville consistantly engages in a biligerant line of arguement each and everytime he gets airtime, Novaks known to be a firebrand himself but no where near the arrogant level of carville....
        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin
          I agree, Carville consistantly engages in a biligerant line of arguement each and everytime he gets airtime, Novaks known to be a firebrand himself but no where near the arrogant level of carville....
          Carville is one of the few rednecks i like lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Su-47MKI
            Carville is one of the few rednecks i like lol.
            Redneck liberal. Seems like an oxymoron. At least if your considering the general connotation of “redneck.”

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
              Redneck liberal. Seems like an oxymoron. At least if your considering the general connotation of “redneck.”
              If his reference is not to "a white member of the Southern rural laboring class", then he's about to be banned. Carville isn't a redneck.
              No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
              I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
              even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
              He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                If his reference is not to "a white member of the Southern rural laboring class", then he's about to be banned. Carville isn't a redneck.
                Punt him anyway please, he's been trolling a little too much lately
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                  Punt him anyway please, he's been trolling a little too much lately
                  I bet I know who he is; he's already been banned, and this is just a sock puppet.

Death penaly, please; mods may fire when ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                    I bet I know who he is; he's already been banned, and this is just a sock puppet.

Death penaly, please; mods may fire when ready.
                    fine...i'll stay out of the US politics forum for now then.

Comment

With your type of posts, I would say that's a good idea.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

You can post wherever you want, just try to be nice. ;)
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Listen to the nice mod, son. He's got your best interests at heart.

Comment

I don't know what is is the reason to walk out. I find nothing wrong in what was being said by either side. In fact, the man who walked out should have given it back rather than accept defeat by walking out in a huff..

Admins and Mods,

Send a letter to both these guys to attend a course (one thread would be adequate) in the Asian sub forum to learn how to handle oneself in such situation!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

"I don't know what is is the reason to walk out. I find nothing wrong in what was being said by either side. In fact, the man who walked out should have given it back rather than accept defeat by walking out in a huff.."

Well, Novak did call his argument BS before he left. So he left after getting the last word. Kind of Preemptive retreat.

Comment

Working...
                              X