Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiroshima/Nagasaki

Hi everyone,

60 yrs back two cities of Japan were bombed. It sure ended the world war but it also ended the lives of many innocent men women and children. The cities have been rebuilt but the scars remain. Was there no other way to end that war? Why did so many have to die?
    Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
    Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Originally posted by lahori Paa jee
    Hi everyone,

60 yrs back two cities of Japan were bombed. It sure ended the world war but it also ended the lives of many innocent men women and children. The cities have been rebuilt but the scars remain. Was there no other way to end that war? Why did so many have to die?
    This should give you a pretty good idea of why it was thought necessary

OPERATION DOWNFALL
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

"Was there no other way to end that war?"

There were plenty of other ways. All for which involved many more people on both sides dying.

"Why did so many have to die?"

Because the Japanese Government started a war they couldn't win but refused to give up.

Comment

The Japanese imperial drive in the 30s and 40s killed upwards of 10 million people. They are lucky we left anyone alive at all.

-dale

Comment

No there wasn't another way. Believe me the atomic bomb was the least bloody of the options. An invasion would have cost millions of military deaths and tens of million of civilians. Japanese culture at the time instilled extremism as a core value. It's easy to seek a reasonable solution to an unreasonable situation after the fact. In their minds the either had to achieve total victory for their emperor (who as a living God to them) or everyone had to die. Dishonor to them was a fate much worse than death.
          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

I'm stuck with the atomic option myself. Using conventional bombs and artillery to leave the country in rubble, combined with the blocade to starve them out, followed by a genocidal invasion would have to be worse...
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Not to mention that its time consuming!!
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
              X