Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Naval Expansion

hiya,

i dont have much of information on this,,,but i would like to have a disscussion on how the indian navy is goin to look like in lets 2015

lets focus what kind of player will the navy be, how will the geo poltics play out, giving due considerations to the chinese fleet as well USN,

how is kanwar base as well as the andaman nicobar base going to play,

how the navy is goin to be different from the army and the airforce,

is there any information on indian actually bringing out a 4th wing like the american marines and buying a lot of amphibious assault ships.

ps: sorry for being really really vague, i am a rookie

Josh

RICK i could use some help here,maybe some forecasting or secnario building in very realistic way...

been reading the forum for 4 months so kinda know u r the naval guy

Comment

Ive been mulling over a response. LOL

The Indian situation is complex and problematic. Ship building is slow. Funds tight. Political situation tenuous. Strategic situation a Catch-22. All of course IMHO.

One other note: Confining the Indian Navy to the Indian Ocean is comparatively easy for an opponent as opposed to trying to impair the movements of the USN.

Making predictions about the Indian Navy even a coupla years into the future is difficult much less ten.

But Ill give it a shot force structure-wise anyways.

SUBMARINES

0-1? SSBN (Not likely but possible)
      0-4? SSN (possible but not a sure bet)
      16-20 SSK Russian/German/French(without a doubt)

CARRIERS

1-3 Vikrant class
      1 Vikramaditya (ex-Gorshkov)

DDG

0-6? VLS/Phased-Array radar
      3 Project 15A Bangalore Class
      3 Project 15 Dehli Class

FFG

3-12 Project 17 Shivalik class
      3 Talwar class

FF

3-6 Project 16/16A Godavari/Improved Godavari class (The three early ships have stability issues and could be decommissioned prematurely depending on the pace of current and future shipbuilding programs)

FFL

8 Project 25/25A Khukri class

I see as many as forty Surface Combatants in a combination of the types mentioned above. There are now twenty-eight in-commission.

I discussed the future Amphibious situation in a thread below:

"Selling two LHA 1 class (Plus granting two others as spares hulks) and four LSD 41 class ships to India is intriguing IMHO.

This would give India a ready-made credible amphibious force for very little cost."

plus this:

"(1) INDIA.—To the Government of India, the AUSTIN class amphibious transport dock ship TRENTON (LPD-14)."

So to reiterate I see a possible fleet of six LHA/LPD/LSD Type ships augmented with approx. six LST type ships.

There logistic forces will have to be enlarged and upgraded for any prospect of continuous, sustained operations on a world-wide basis. Only three now. By comparison the British Royal Navy has thirteen.

Plus approx 30 Patrol ships, Patrol Craft and Guided-Missle Craft.

Plus approx 20 Mine warfare ships.

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

i have heard about the ATV, but frankly speaking that is a goin to take some time, if LCA is any indication, Larsen & tuburo is planning to building the russian amur class 10 , all the while the mazagon docks mite go ahead with production of french/german, if at all the deal is signed...lol.. plus the american ship offerings, as well as indian ship building, the ADS etc

India mite be goin half the speed at which the chinese expanding, to be every honest with u , i see USN using IN as a force multiplier. NO one can stop USN anywhere PERIOD.

I am actually looking into the geopolitical situation where they will be patrolling indian ocean, more than IN , US is pushing India towards it.

As well as the tri service command at A&N islands , and asia largest port coming in KANWAR, i have some reason to believe, GOI sees potential in IN rather than the other two wings. wether IN subs loiter into South China sea, and chinese subs into Indian Ocean. The next few years i kind of see what happened between the Soviet Navy and USN , happenin between PLAN and IN , Technological i do believe IN is ahead of PLAN. Next two decades the playing field is South CHina SEa and IOR

I have always wondered during a war why cant another front be opened thru the coast of pakistan using marines, pakistani navy isnt top notch, though i have lot of respect of their airforce, but it is over stretched.

well things are slow as long as we have our politicians
        INDIA IS a DEMO CRAZY,,as much as i love it...lol

thanks lot Rick, maybe we can do some kind of scenario building on how Chinese fleet and Indian fleet expansion is goin to clash, or is it goin to be with the USN and how USN may want or need IN to act.

ps: i have no clue what all i just typed....hope u make some sense of it

Comment

China needs oil. Russia has been unreliable.

China is looking to expand its influence in the Indian Ocean. See Thailand, Myanamar(Burma) and Pakistan.

The tanker routes are through the Indian Ocean.

Need I say more?

Comment

fair enough, but they have also secured alternative means such as the CAR countries as well building a pipeline from Iran for $70 billion. i dont think india and US can completly threaten the chinese,

We have very little info on maynmar outpost of chinese as well as the A&N of the indians.

thanks Rick

Josh

Comment

We have very little info on maynmar outpost of chinese as well as the A&N of the indians.
              The Tsunami told me that we and Uncle were 'hearing' around the A&N islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                Its quite contrary, we know a lot about Coco Islands, as ANS is just a stone's throw away. Coco Islands is just a signal outpost, they cant berth any ships/submarines there. They can "listen" the traffic, at the most.

And like Samudra said, Tsunami also told me off a great destuction in Coca Islands, rendering all these years work, worthless ;)

http://www.burmalibrary.org/reg.burm.../msg00272.html
                Last edited by Jay; 01 Aug 05,, 06:43.
                A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

jay,

the article actually makes the whole episode more murky, they still dont have concrete details, anyways basing of Su-30 mki at a&N has an effect, Chinese subs in my humble are not a threat per say, Not exactly quiet, lol

I actually feel a Karwar sized base in the east, our next threat perception is in the east, Pakistan on a naval perspective is not a threat ...dont want to sound cocky but i believe except for the sub arm, our Coast Gaurd is better equipped than them.

Do u have any information on the naval base we are planning to acquire in Vietnam and Iran or are they just rumours,

please forgive my ignorance if any

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
                    the article actually makes the whole episode more murky, they still dont have concrete details, anyways basing of Su-30 mki at a&N has an effect, Chinese subs in my humble are not a threat per say, Not exactly quiet,
                    Thats all it is. American satellites and prolly Indians as well, would know what exactly is there in those base. AFAIK its a mere SIGNIT facility. After last years tsunami, literally China/Burma had to rebuid the whole facility, like IN in ANS.

Do u have any information on the naval base we are planning to acquire in Vietnam and Iran or are they just rumours,
                    They are mere rumuors. But IN is sailing to South China sea very often for exercises, thanks to Singapore, Vietnam and countries like that.
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

jay

and what is our information on chinese ships in indian ocean other than the innocent fishing trawlers,lol

i have heard rumours again on indian interest in the HMS invinsible and basing it in the eastern sector, but i think it could be of someone dream team scenario,

Singapore and Vietnam is good, but i believe our natural allies are in the korean and japanese navies, this not sayin we cant handle the chinese we can to an extent or more.

ps: thanks clearing all my doubts...i have always this v/s that thread here, but nothing that is like a scenario building in context of geopolitical implications, and ally building esp about the india and china, the game will begin in full swing after the 2010 or has it started.

Comment

since i am in the dream team mood today...

i wish ship of varyag size...or the ship itself would have been selected to be with india...it has the capacity of atleast 45 mig-29k...that would have been really strike carrier...too bad it is with the chinese...too bad russians dont have any more of those...that we can use...or get in to the fleet in 2 years time..like the gorshkov...

ps: the HMS invincble is being retired....any interest..........in that...from the indian context..cant believe i am 24 and still talkin like a teenager...well boys are always boys...lol

Comment

IIRC , it was decided to station a infantry division under the A&N command.
                          Su-30s are already flying to A&N.

Comment

I am more interested in keeping strategic fleet over there, western and eastern seaboard fleets, and new one as maybe A&N fleet, influx of new ships will ......

is a cannal from west coast to east coast, that is thru lets say andhra pradesh and karanataka.....is it economically feasible as well is there any significant stratgic value... in the event of an all out attack from pak and china....movement of ships from one coast to the other can done.....we dont have to go around sri lanka or thru the palk straits.i am just tryin to put some wild ideas...

josh

ps: samudra i studied in GRD college..near jennys club....in coimbatore

Comment

Ah , the Jenneys , i am there every evening playing table tennis and trying to win over my friend for a change.

FYI Hammer who posts here studied in GRD too !

Comment

Working...
                              X