X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stem cell Research

Frist to Back Stem Cell Research

Friday, July 29, 2005

WASHINGTON — Breaking with President Bush, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said Friday he will support legislation to remove some of the administration's limitations on embryonic stem cell research.

Frist, who last month said he did not support expanded federal financing of such research, said his decision was consistent with both his experience as a physician and his opposition to abortion.

"Now is the time to expand the president's policy because it's promising research, but it must be done in a way that is ethically considerate, that respects the dignity of human life," said Frist, who also is a heart and lung transplant surgeon.

The Tennessee Republican, who has been said to be eyeing a run for the GOP presidential nomination in 2008, said only stem cells from embryos that "would otherwise be discarded," not implanted in a woman or frozen indefinitely, should be considered for research.

Interviewed on ABC's "Good Morning America," Frist said his decision was based on policy, not politics.

Almost two-thirds of Americans say they support embryonic stem cell research and a majority of people say they would like to see fewer restrictions on taxpayer funding for those studies, according to recent polls.

"From those cells we have the potential for looking at those diseases that everybody knows about, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and others," Frist said.

The senator planned to further outline his policy in a speech on the Senate floor later Friday.

Frist credited Bush with opening the doors for federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, and said when this policy was announced in 2001, policy-makers thought 78 stem cell lines would be available. Since then, the number has dropped to 22.

"Those 22 cell lines are not of the quality for human application or human therapy, and that's why today I believe we need to modify that policy," Frist said.

When Bush announced his position on stem cell research, he said the government should pay only for research of stem cell colonies, or lines, that had already been created at that time, so that the "life or death" decision had already been made.

We have got so many possibilities here. Right here in front of us lies research that could cure so many terminal illnesses, greatly improve the quality of people's lives and potentially prevent many diseases. The advances that are made in medicine is incredible, and it only continues to get better as time goes on.

I think we need to take some funding from federal and state prisons and supplying criminals with public defenders and put that money toward research that could have the ability to save any of our lives one day.

If it were my daughter, mother, father or sister that were sick, and I was told that by getting pregnant and having the embryo harvested 5 days into that pregnancy could save their life - there would not even be a second thought about it.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

We have got so many possibilities here. Right here in front of us lies research that could cure so many terminal illnesses, greatly improve the quality of people's lives and potentially prevent many diseases. The advances that are made in medicine is incredible, and it only continues to get better as time goes on.
    Stem Cell research has potential for all the possibilities that you have mentioned. However it is not as easy as you think it is. A stem cell is basically a cell which is capable of transforming into any tissue specific cell. So in theory a stem cell can be engineered to become a Liver cell but it is also possible for the cell to become cancerous. The fruits of the research in stem cell biology might take around 50 or even 100 years to materialize...
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic
      So in theory a stem cell can be engineered to become a Liver cell but it is also possible for the cell to become cancerous. The fruits of the research in stem cell biology might take around 50 or even 100 years to materialize...

You are correct, and I understand that. While I think this is a great opportunity that we are letting slip by, I know there is always room for catastrophe in any scenario. This might take 50 or 100 years....maybe more. But as an eternal optimist, I also see that we could start to benefit in only 5, 10 or 20 years.
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

You are correct, and I understand that. While I think this is a great opportunity that we are letting slip by, I know there is always room for catastrophe in any scenario. This might take 50 or 100 years....maybe more. But as an eternal optimist, I also see that we could start to benefit in only 5, 10 or 20 years.
        I too share your hope that humans might benefit greatly from stem cell research. But the ethical issues must not be ignored. I am aware of a few cases where parents beget a child simply because they need the chord blood for theraphy in an earlier child afflicted with a genetic disease. If instances like this are ignored, there might be horrible repercussions. Moreover as I had mentioned earlier, a stemcell harbours the potential to turn cancerous so, the criteria for Medical Council approval might be stringent. Even with the approval, there will definitely be cases where the procedure had gone wrong and the parties who had done the stem cell theraphy might get slapped with law-suits.....
        Last edited by 667medic; 29 Jul 05,, 14:42.
        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Working...
        X