Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spying eyes for Muslims!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bri...?oneclick=true

I don't really know how bad really is living a thousand miles away from it, but when I read stuff like this, my knee-jerk reaction is, "Holocast 2005".

Special intelligence units are being planned across Britain to monitor Muslims so authorities can collect "community by community" knowledge of where extremism is building up.

The squads, to be known as Muslim contact units and staffed by Special Branch officers, will be set up in areas including Yorkshire, in north-western England, and parts of the Midlands.

After the London bombings police say they have little intelligence of what goes on in Muslim communities and urgently needs to increase it.

Pakistani intelligence sources said yesterday that security forces had arrested a British Muslim believed to be wanted over the London bombings. The sources said Haroon Rashid Aswad was detained in the eastern city of Lahore this week during a crackdown on militants in which more than 150 people were detained.

The Information Minister, Sheik Rashid Ahmed, denied that security forces had arrested Aswad, but the intelligence sources stood by their comments. Aswad was said to have been carrying a belt packed with explosives for a possible suicide attack and about 1 million rupees ($22,300) and a British passport.
    AdvertisementAdvertisement

President Pervez Musharraf ordered the crackdown on militants and a series of raids on religious schools after revelations that three of the four London bombers were British Muslims of Pakistani descent who visited Pakistan before the attacks.

The British Prime Minister, Tony Blair, has met moderate British Muslim leaders and agreed on a taskforce to produce measures to tackle extremism. The establishment of the special units is one of the first concrete counter-terrorist measure to emerge since the London bombings.

The units will have language skills and seek detailed knowledge of the dynamic of Islamic communities in their areas. They will fulfil two roles, helping protect Muslim communities from Islamophobic abuse and attacks, while also gathering intelligence on extremist activity.

The police and the Home Office say that a Muslim contact unit in London has already helped thwart extremist attempts to recruit young British Muslims to jihad, by working with Islamic communities.

The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, has blamed Western foreign policy in the Middle East for creating the conditions for terrorist attacks such as the London bombings. Many young people in Britain were outraged by double standards in Western foreign policy, such as US support for Israel and detentions without trial at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, he said.

True that one should not discriminate.

Very unfortuante.

But then, what is important, national security or individuals?

Further, who has brought it on them?

Are they spying on the Finnish citizens there? or Finnish origin citizens? If not, then there must be a good reason for the same.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

They're citizens on one country. This makes Muslims second class citizens in my eyes.

Comment

This is how it starts, and as Sniper put it, it ends with "nuking Mecca".

Comment

my knee-jerk reaction is, "Holocast 2005".
          B.S
          Take my advice : Its will do better if you dont talk such crap.It merely angers folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
            http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bri...?oneclick=true

I don't really know how bad really is living a thousand miles away from it, but when I read stuff like this, my knee-jerk reaction is, "Holocast 2005".

My kneejerk reaction was "big deal", wouldn't be a problem telling authorities I was here, here, and here, and doing this, this, and this. Then not worrying if they went about verifying anything and everything I said, discounting the chances that sayyy..going to a coffee shop and getting a bagel to go first thing in the morning is considered treason or terrorism.

Comment

Any law abidding, innocent moslems have nothing to worry about it. It may be better in the longer term.
              Hala Madrid!!

Comment

"I don't really know how bad really is living a thousand miles away from it, but when I read stuff like this, my knee-jerk reaction is, "Holocast 2005"."

My reaction is, what other choice did your fine muslim bretheren leave them?

Comment

i wouldn't be too worried about it asim, the only people capable of operating in the pakistani or arab communities would be british pakistanis or british arabs. no one who wasn't immersed in the culture and language - as well as being the right colour - could possibly expect to get anything worthwhile out of the experience as firstly they'd stick out like a sore thumb and secondly they wouldn't understand the nuance and underlying significance of anything that was said. that also means that things wouldn't get taken out of context.

you know the UK asim, we are subtle and we have a wealth of experience at working with and within different cultures, big gestures aren't our thing and the big idea that has come out since the london bombings is that we will not be 'forced' into measures which give the terrorist that which they most desire.
                  before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

I wouldn't mind that either. But thats not whats happening is it? Why would should some suit get to read my emails and listen to my calls on the phone?

My reaction is, what other choice did your fine muslim bretheren leave them?
                    So go tango with those 'bretheren' of mine. Its innocent till proven guilty. And I'm innocent. Your own countrymen have a problem with it, since they believe they're innocent. I'm sure Muslims would at least appreciate knowing where they stood. If you're uncomfortable with them, why not pass a law, that Muslims should be stripped off their citizenship? But that'll make you look bad, so you want the best of both worlds by this...

... just another knee-jerk reaction. Many have asked me (or us Muslims) to embark on some noble mission to correct the radical Islamic problem, how many of you would embark on a similar one and actually hear the plight of normal American Muslims? The problems we face and the problems you'd face are uncomparable, then why not go out and make a difference?

Comment

I think it's too early to pass judgement on the decision. It is a concept only right now. If you look at the US Patriot Act as a point of comparison, it is actually very straight forward. However, misconceptions plague it, and so many of its sunset provisions are not being renewed. One example is the ability of law enforcement agents to search computer information at libraries. This capability has been available for years in cases involving sexual crimes, but it wasn't an available tool until the passage of the Patriot Act. However, this provision was allowed to sunset due to domestic pressure, mostly out of ignorance. Hopefully, this won't be a loophole that future terrorists take advantage of.

Once details are flushed out on the British plan, and I'm sure that the British courts will strike down anything that isn't legal, then judgements are wholly appropriate.
                      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

This is great stuff...its not affecting me in any way because I've got nothing to hide. Simple as that.

In fact, if possible, I'd love to work with the authorities to shop in a few of these bastards. Nothing would make me feel better than knowing I'd done something to put some of these idiots behind bars for a couple of years.

Comment

"you know the UK asim, we are subtle and we have a wealth of experience at working with and within different cultures, big gestures aren't our thing and the big idea that has come out since the london bombings is that we will not be 'forced' into measures which give the terrorist that which they most desire."

I just read your post, and I agree with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
                            They're citizens on one country.
                            Citizens of one country just managed to blow themselves up and kill 50+ people in the name of Islam.

Comment

It's unfortunate but necessary that people must surrender a few personal freedoms to gain protection in times such as these.
                              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                              X