PDA

View Full Version : USN Ship Naming Convention?

sparten
21 Jul 05,, 14:07
A question, how does the US Navy decide the names of its ships. There seems to be no logic in it. I mean look at the Seawolf class, ships named for a denzian of the deep, a State, and a President. The Carriers include two statesmen, an admiral and a few Presidents.

I had always thought that "Capital Ships" were named after states, smaller vessels after cities and distinguished citizens.

pardon my ignorance, but who the hell was Mr John Stennis. He was not a 19th century Preident (I checked). Or are names assigned as the Navy likes with no thought given to the type of ship?

TopHatter
21 Jul 05,, 15:23
A question, how does the US Navy decide the names of its ships. There seems to be no logic in it. I mean look at the Seawolf class, ships named for a denzian of the deep, a State, and a President. The Carriers include two statesmen, an admiral and a few Presidents.

I had always thought that "Capital Ships" were named after states, smaller vessels after cities and distinguished citizens.

pardon my ignorance, but who the hell was Mr John Stennis. He was not a 19th century Preident (I checked). Or are names assigned as the Navy likes with no thought given to the type of ship?

There is no longer a naming convention, for all practical purposes. (and IMHO :redface: )
The Seawolfs demonstrate this in only a 3 boat class
Even the battleships had a single "black sheep" way back in 1896: USS Kearsarge (BB-5).

They've been doing a pretty good job with the Arleigh Burkes though and it looks like they will finish out the class fairly consistantly. Well, at least they are all people, at any rate. Basically people important to the Navy and Marine Corps.

As for 2 CVNs named after people most of us have never heard of (Carl Vinson being the other):

John Cornelius Stennis was a U.S. Senator and a great friend to the Navy

"It was due to his work with the Armed Services committee (1969-1980) that he became known as the "Father of America's Modern Navy." "

"Stennis had a political career spanning 60 years, and never lost an election. His was one of the longest Senate careers in history; his continuous tenure of 41 years and 2 months in the Senate was, at his retirement, second in longevity only to that of Carl T. Hayden" (at that time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Stennis

Carl Vinson was a U.S. Congressman and also a great friend to the Navy.

"In 1934, Vinson helped push the Vinson-Trammel Act [through Congress, which was the blueprint for the Two-Ocean Navy of World War II]"

"He oversaw the procurement of the first nuclear-powered aircraft carriers starting with the USS Enterprise in the late 1950s. For his efforts, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier was named for him, the USS Carl Vinson and Vinson became the first living American to have a U.S. Navy ship named for him. On March 15, 1980, at age 96, he attended the ship's dedication ceremonies."

"Carl Vinson served 26 consecutive terms in the U.S. House, rarely running against significant opposition. He served for 50 years and one month, a record for the U.S. House that stood until 1994"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Vinson

I always considered Carl Vinson to be my ship, since she was born the day after I was :redface:

bigross86
21 Jul 05,, 18:30
Ronald Reagen was also one of the sole people to have a ship named after him while he was still alive, right?

highsea
21 Jul 05,, 18:49
FAS has a page on naming conventions.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/names.htm

While the Navy has attempted to be systematic in naming its ships, in recent years it seems there has been a complete breakdown in any attempt to sustain a systematic practice in the name categories for ship types. The first ship named for a living person was USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) in 1975. Other ships named for living people include:

USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51)
USS Hyman G. Rickover (SSN 709)
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76)
USNS Bob Hope (T-AKR 300)
USS Jimmy Carter (SSN 23)
Add the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN77) to that list, the USS Nitze (DDG-94), and the USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74).

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-u-s-military-vessels-named-after-living-americans

TopHatter
21 Jul 05,, 20:18
in recent years it seems there has been a complete breakdown in any attempt to sustain a systematic practice in the name categories for ship types.

That's putting it mildly :redface:

Wraith601
22 Jul 05,, 05:36
John C. Stennis was a long time senator from the great state of Mississippi.

Bill
22 Jul 05,, 06:34
We should still name some after battles/campaigns, but modern ones, instead of recylcling all the same names.

USS Seventy Three Easting
USS Thunder Run
USS Mogadishu
USS Panama City
USS Grenada

Etc, etc, etc.

bigross86
22 Jul 05,, 11:39
Something tells me that it won't happen anytime soon. A bit too controversial for the decision makers.

sparten
22 Jul 05,, 12:10
Hell some of them are named after American defeats

USS Bataan
USS Long Island
USS Chancellorville (alright civil war)

what next, USS Kassirine Pass?

John C. Stennis was a long time senator from the great state of Mississippi

Yes I read up on him yesterday, but a carriers? How about a nice Frigate.

Personally I think carriers should be named after states.

bigross86
22 Jul 05,, 15:28
Oh, like the USS Enterprise, Intrepid, JFK, Kitty Hawk, Ronald Reagen, Nimitz, Forrestal, Essex, the list goes on and on...

Wraith601
22 Jul 05,, 19:33
Hell some of them are named after American defeats

USS Bataan
USS Long Island
USS Chancellorville (alright civil war)

what next, USS Kassirine Pass?

John C. Stennis was a long time senator from the great state of Mississippi

Yes I read up on him yesterday, but a carriers? How about a nice Frigate.

Personally I think carriers should be named after states.

States appear be the the namesake of choice for subs now. I think carriers will be named after Presidents from now on.

bigross86
23 Jul 05,, 19:40
Subs are named after places cause of the USS Los Angeles class, but there are other things in it, like USS Cheyenne.

And isn't the new Seawolf named for Nixon?

sparten
24 Jul 05,, 06:58

No, Jimmy Carter.

BanliochFear
24 Jul 05,, 23:00
Subs are named after places cause of the USS Los Angeles class, but there are other things in it, like USS Cheyenne.

Cheyenne is a city in Wyoming.

highsea
25 Jul 05,, 02:04
No, Jimmy Carter.Okay, listen up! The USS Jimmy Carter (SSN 23) is hereby declared unconditionally and irrevocably (by Highsea) as the USS Richard M Nixon. You will all forthwith refer to the vessel by it's proper name, under penalty of ridicule and name-calling.

By the powers vested in me, not officially and certainly not declared, according to the also not official and not declared rules and bylaws of the WAB, I unilaterally declare it so. Let no man speak asunder. So let it be written, so let it be done. E Unum Pluribus. And so it goes... :biggrin:

The boat is renamed. Break out the Romulan Brandy, Scotty.

TopHatter
25 Jul 05,, 06:08
By the powers vested in me, not officially and certainly not declared, according to the also not official and not declared rules and bylaws of the WAB, I unilaterally declare it so. Let no man speak asunder. So let it be written, so let it be done. E Unum Pluribus. And so it goes...

...in accordance with the prophecy.

BenRoethig
29 Jul 05,, 02:17
Okay, listen up! The USS Jimmy Carter (SSN 23) is hereby declared unconditionally and irrevocably (by Highsea) as the USS Richard M Nixon. You will all forthwith refer to the vessel by it's proper name, under penalty of ridicule and name-calling.

By the powers vested in me, not officially and certainly not declared, according to the also not official and not declared rules and bylaws of the WAB, I unilaterally declare it so. Let no man speak asunder. So let it be written, so let it be done. E Unum Pluribus. And so it goes... :biggrin:

The boat is renamed. Break out the Romulan Brandy, Scotty.

With all the wire tapping it'll do, Nixon would be a perfect fit. A true USS Jimmy Carter would be similar to the Dolphin i.e. no weapons.

In the old days it used to be:
Carriers: Famous battles/ ships
Battleships: States
Battlecruisers: Territories
Cruisers: Major Cities.
Destroyers: People
Submarines: Sea Creatures
Boomers: Famous people.

Then the politicians got a hold of the situation and started meddling with tradition. That leaves us with the mess we have today.

bigross86
29 Jul 05,, 08:51
In the old days it used to be:
Carriers: Famous battles/ ships

I dunno. I'm not quite sure what/where the USS Cabot was, and the Intrepid was by all means not a famous ship. Of all the USS Intrepids, the most famous would be a captured pirate ship that went on a suicide mission in the Barbary Wars, IIRC.

sparten
29 Jul 05,, 11:11
I dunno. I'm not quite sure what/where the USS Cabot was, and the Intrepid was by all means not a famous ship. Of all the USS Intrepids, the most famous would be a captured pirate ship that went on a suicide mission in the Barbary Wars, IIRC.

And the Intrepid was named after that.
USS Cabot was a 14 gun brig, one of the first ships of the Continental Navy.

Dead_Meat
29 Aug 05,, 04:53
but who the hell was Mr John Stennis.

Exactly. I don't know much about this loser myself but he sure as hell didn't deserve to have a nuclear powered aircraft carrier named after him. As far as I know he was some nobody congressman(D) in the 1970s who pulled some strings to get a ship named after him.

Personally I don't think we should name anymore capitol ships after politions(can you imagine the CVN-78 being named Clintion? The very thought turns my stomic). They should be named after famous battles or states. OR you could take the cool british names like "Invincible", "Indomidable" or "Intrepid". THOSE are cool names and sound alot better than names like Jimmy or Stennis.

Franco Lolan
30 Aug 05,, 04:56
Yes. I've always thought that it would suck being stationed aboard the Jimmy Carter. It's hard to take pride in the name of the ship that way.