Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 jailed Taliban in tunnel escape

41 jailed Taliban in tunnel escape

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) -- Forty-one Taliban prisoners tunneled out of jail in southern Afghanistan in a dramatic escape that is embarrassing for the government and presents yet another security headache in the troubled region.

The break-out from the main jail in the volatile southern city of Kandahar occurred on Friday night, the city's security chief General Salem told Reuters. He said all the prisoners were from one barracks of the jail, which houses some 400 prisoners.

"Last night, in the middle of the night, about 40 prisoners escaped through a 30-meter tunnel," he said. "They included some important Taliban -- one was the brother of Mawlavi Obaidullah."

Obaidullah was Taliban defense minister and has evaded capture since the hardline Islamists were overthrown by U.S.-led forces two years ago. In June, he was named as part of a 10-man leadership council by shadowy Taliban leader Mullah Omar.

Taliban spokesman Haji Abdul Latif said Obaidullah's brother was Mawlavi Abdullah and there were a total of 41 escapees, all of whom were from the Taliban.

Senior government intelligence official Attaullah Khan said it was possible some prison guards assisted the escape, but Latif said the prisoners acted alone.

Kandahar province has been the scene of many recent Taliban attacks that have curtailed aid and reconstruction work.

The escape will also be an embarrassment for the new governor for Kandahar, Yusuf Pashtun, who was appointed by President Hamid Karzai only in August.

Kandahar, which borders Pakistan, was the birthplace of the Taliban.

In late August, officials said the jail on the outskirts of the city was holding 50 to 60 "political inmates," a term usually used to describe Taliban members.

Some of that group were interviewed at the time by Reuters and all said they came from neighboring Pakistan, which Kabul accuses of sheltering Taliban guerrillas and leaders.

The Taliban have been blamed for a surge in violence across Afghanistan since August in which more than 300 people have died, including aid workers, government soldiers and police, U.S. troops and many guerrillas.

News of the escape comes days after Karzai and the U.S. special envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad denied reports earlier this week that former Taliban Foreign Minister Mullah Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil had been freed from U.S. custody for facilitating talks with Taliban officials in Kandahar.

A government official in Kandahar, who did not want to be named, said there could have been a connection between Muttawakil and the escape.

He said Muttawakil was briefly released on September 27 and visited his home in Kandahar and on the following day met Taliban officials in the Tor Kotal area of Kandahar province on behalf of the Americans. He gave no other details.

The United States is leading a 11,500-strong foreign force in Afghanistan force pursuing remnants of the Taliban and the allied al Qaeda network, which is blamed for the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapc...eut/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

You gotta be kiding me.

Is this for real?

Comment

Apparently it's true.

This would be embarrassing, I don't think the Afghan gov't would say it happened if it weren't true.

Comment

TNP,

Your slip is showing.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
          TNP,

Your slip is showing.
          What's a "slip"?

Comment

a woman‘s sleeveless undergarment the same length as a dress, usually suspended from shoulder straps b) a petticoat

It means that inadvertently exposing oneself.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Did they bribe the Afghan police guards or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                TNP,

Your slip is showing.

Boy you really are obssessed with me aren't ya?

What are you going to do now? Follow me around
                like a little lap dog from thread to thread trying
                to start crap? :blush awww how cute.

I have seen this reaction before.
                It happens after a person gets his
                @$$ kicked really bad and he has
                this huge urge to get back at
                whoever did that to him. Trying
                to get even.

But it only happens with those
                people who are immoral. Good people
                I have noticed dont do this, because
                once they are proven wrong, they
                accept it, learn from it, and move on.

But you are obviously not one of them.

Comment

Follow you around? Heavens, I am not your type. I am straight.:puke

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    Follow you around? Heavens, I am not your type. I am straight.:puke
                    So why did you follow me around to
                    start crap on this thread freak?

Did I say anything to you?
                    So what made you post that
                    dumb comment which didnt even make
                    any sense? Just to provoke me, nothin else.

No problem here.
                    You wanna provoke me go ahead.
                    By all means.
                    You will just be digging your own grave.

Comment

Hey, you know I think we can do without all the threats here.
                      This is the Internet. You are not right next door to anybody so I doubt you'll be breaking anybodys fingers or any other sort of mayhem.
                      Let's try to keep it civilized eh?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                        Hey, you know I think we can do without all the threats here.
                        This is the Internet. You are not right next door to anybody so I doubt you'll be breaking anybodys fingers or any other sort of mayhem.
                        Let's try to keep it civilized eh?
                        Its not the threats that bother me.
                        Its the attitude.

But sure, I will cease & assist.

Comment

Just a friendly request from a fellow board member. After all, friendly debate is what the board is all about. :)
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                            Just a friendly request from a fellow board member. After all, friendly debate is what the board is all about. :)
                            tru tru

And request granted.
                            I'll try to keep it as friendly as I can.

Just hope the mods stop the other side
                            from posting inflammatory remarks which
                            are bound to illicit a response.

But I will restrain myself, you can be sure of that.

Comment

What inflammatory remarks? Or perhaps the facts that you percieve to be as inflammative remarks?

Hmmm... I think I detect somewhat of an inferiority complex at work here.

Comment

Working...
                              X