• Show
Clear All

• Fear Of Racial Backlash Against Sikhs In UK

London Bomb Explosions: Sikhs call for official action
    By Sikh Commission on Racism & Cohesion
    Jul 7, 2005, 12:14

Email this article
    Printer friendly page

London Bomb Explosions: Sikh call for official action to prevent repeat of 9/11 racist frenzy

In an immediate reaction to the London bomb explosions, the Sikh Commission on Racism & Cohesion1 has expressed concerns about a repeat of post 9/11 racist frenzy against Sikhs and Muslims in Britain. Members of the Sikh Commission and other Sikh groups have condemned the explosions as a public outrage.

According to the Sikh Commission: “Following 9/11, visible communities like the Sikhs and Muslims became immediate targets of public racism from racist elements in British society. Anyone that was considered to be Muslim or Muslim-like in appearance, was targeted with vicious verbal racism, taunts and also physical attacks.“2 According to Jagdeesh Singh3, a member of the Sikh Commission, “Up and down Britain, Sikhs recognisable by turbans and beards, suffered daily racism on the streets, at work, in public venues and, also, in schools.” 4

The Sikh Commission is concerned that, in the absence of preventative action by the government and public authorities, the current London explosions could trigger a repeat racist frenzy. Dal Singh of the Birmingham based Sikh Youth & Community Service (a member of the Sikh Commission), says the “The London explosions are a vicious outrage and need to be firmly and totally condemned. At the same time, we need to see an official effort to protect exposed communities like the Sikhs from a repeat of the racist onslaught experienced immediately after 9/11.”

The Commission is concerned that, to date, no recognition nor action has been given to the clear pattern of racist hostility and attacks on the Sikh community5. “The Prime Minister and Home Secretaries have publicly condemned the post 9/11 racist attacks on the Jewish and Muslim community in Britain. However, in regards to the Sikh community, there has been a conspicuous silence and inaction. This begs the question, why?”. The Sikh Commission believes there has been no official push to prevent or address the attacks on the Sikh community.

The Sikh Commission is urging British Police Forces and the British Home Office to take account of the number and spread of attacks on communities like the Sikhs and Muslims. “Tragically and most unequally, many communities in Britain are not featured in the official ethnic monitoring prcoedures operated by the police and Home Office. These are wholly unrepresentative and restrictive, excluding Sikhs, Jews, Muslims, Somalians, Afghans, English, Scottish, Welsh, Arabs, Tamils, Gujaratis, Kurds, Polish, Greek, Kashmiri, Italian and many other substantive communities.”

According to Dal Singh (Sikh Youth & Community Service): “There is no public record, monitoring nor assessment of the attacks that take place on these communities who are excluded from the official systems. This amounts to institutional discrimination against a huge mass of the multi-ethnic British population”.

The Sikh Commission is urging public authorities, police forces and community organisations to remain vigilant against a repeat of the post 9-11 public racism. On Tuesday 12th July 2005, British Sikh organisations are gathering at the House of Commons for the official launch of a newly established All Party Parliamentary Sikh Group5. The Sikh Commission on Racism & Cohesion will be impressing upon the large gathering of MPs and Sikh representatives, the need for official attention and action on the cycle of racism on Sikhs.

Editor’s notes:

1. The Sikh Commisson was launched in March 2005, as a coalition of groups, to address the mounting issue of racist attacks on Sikh individuals.

2. The term ‘Bin Laden’ became a popular term of taunting Sikh males with their definitive beards and turbans. “Post- 9/11 revealed a very intense form of populist racism. It was very frightening. For Sikh individuals it became a common daily experience to be taunted with the terms ‘Bin Laden’.” To date, some 20 cases of serious physical assault have been reported on Sikhs.

3. Jagdeesh Singh was subject to a grievous attack, by racist thugs in Coventry, in September 2004.

4. In one school in Slough, a Sikh supply teacher was driven from the school with a barrage of racist taunts including “Bin Laden” and “terrorist” by the students.

5. Jagdeesh Singh says: “Despite numerous communications to the British government on this matter, including the Home Secretary and junior Home Secretaries, through letters, MPs questions, and otherwise; no statement of concern, condemnation nor action has been shown by the British Government.”

6. The ALL PARTY SIKH PARLIAMENTARY GROUP is being lauched on Tuesday 12th July 2005, at 12 noon to 2pm, at Boothroyd Suite, Portcullis House. The Group is chaired by Rob Marris MP. The Group will launch a series of Early Day Motions on Sikh issues. The Sikh Commission will request the Group to launch one on the issue of the bomb explosions and their potential impact on the communities like the Sikhs.

UK Sikhs fear racist attacks
    By SSn
    Jul 10, 2005, 11:50

Email this article
    Printer friendly page

Following Thursday's London blasts, there have been reports of some backlash attacks. An arson attack on a Gurudwara is believed to have been triggered by the London bombings. Police are also investigating a number of assaults on Muslims and an attack on a mosque.

A West Yorkshire police spokesperson confirmed that they are treating as "suspicious", a fire in a Gurudwara, Armley, Leeds.

There is growing fear among Sikhs in Britain that they may become targets of racist attacks. A spokesman for the Sikh Commission on Racism & Cohesion said: "Following 9/11, visible communities like the Sikhs and Muslims became immediate targets of public racism. Anyone that was considered to be Muslim ... was targeted with vicious verbal racism, taunts and also physical attacks"

Comment

Hate Crimes database for UK Sikhs
      By Sikh Secretariat
      Jul 10, 2005, 13:20

Email this article
      Printer friendly page

Following the tragic events of Thursday 7 July in London and the growing reports of hate crimes against Sikhs it is important for the community to have basic information on the level, type and location of these crimes. This information will help Sikhs lobby the authorities to take appropriate actions as they appear to be currently failing the Sikh community.

A hate crime is when someone attacks another person verbally, via mail or email, or perhaps physically, and the crime is driven by the attacker's prejudice against a particular group of people. While more hate crime is verbal than physical, that does not mean it's not serious, or very upsetting for the person being harassed.

What should you do if it happens to you or someone you know?

Don't retaliate: you could risk violence or make the situation worse.

Do tell someone about it: hate crime is inexcusable and should be dealt with as soon as possible. If you're at school or college, tell a teacher or staff member what has happened and they'll help you sort it out and help you decide whether you want to inform the police.

In any situation, it's your right to go to the police, report a crime and have it investigated. If you're scared to go to the police there are hundreds of third-party reporting sites. These places are community centres, other public places including some Gurdwaras where you can discuss your situation with a person trained to fill in a crime form to notify the police. You can even notify the police of a non-urgent crime over the internet.

Many Sikhs are not on email therefore feel free to report second hand on any hate crimes that you become aware of in your locality.

Please visit: http://www.sikh-secretariat.com/sikh_incident_form.htm

to fill in a simple incident form.

The information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Note: The Sikh Secretariat has been asked to co-ordinate collation of the information so it can be used for the benefit of the Sikh community in getting the authorities to take this issue much more seriously.

Comment

Thugs caught for Fire-bombing the Kent Gurdwara Sahib

TV crews were present at the Kent Gurdwara today because the gang who threw the fire bomb were caught yesterday night in a pub. Police made the arrest last night. Some Sikh youth confirmed the report that gurdwara Sahib sewadar was interviewed by the TV crews which was recorded today. They don’t know what news channel or what time this will be on the news

Comment

Look at these illiterate idiots:

Five arrested on their way to bomb gurdwara
          By PTI
          Jul 12, 2005, 11:51

Email this article
          Printer friendly page

London: Five people have been arrested on suspicion of attempting to bomb a gurdwara and another person has been charged in connection with hoax calls in a place of worship as police continued a crackdown on perpetrators of racist ‘revenge’ attacks in UK following the London bombings.

The five were arrested for their suspected involvement in an attempt to petrol bomb the gurdwara in belvedere in southeast London, police said on Tuesday.

They also said that another individual has been charged in connection with hoax calls in a place of worship, but did not give further details. London police had earlier admitted that there had been a number of racially and religiously-motivated hate crimes in the wake of terror bombings on Thursday that left at least 52 people dead and 700 injured.

Incidents of arson and criminal damage have also been reported at mosques at several places, including those in tower hamlets and Merton in London and Telford, Leeds, Bristol and Birkenhead.

How stupid are these ignorant fools who don't know the difference between a Sikh and a terrorist (Bin Laden)? DO they not know that outside of afghanistan (Taliban), Terrorists, or even any other Muslims DO NOT WEAR TURBANS.. I repeat, Muslims DO NOT WEAR TURBANS.

Comment

I'm not advocating this behavior. But for you to say muslims do no wear turbans outside of afghanistan is not correct.

Bin Laden does...

So do Clergymen and Scholars from Iran & Iraq.
            Last edited by InfiniteDreams; 15 Jul 05,, 05:01.

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDreams
              I'm not advocating this behavior. But for you to say muslims do no wear turbans outside of afghanistan is not correct.

Bin Laden does...

So do Clergymen and Scholars from Iran & Iraq.

My friend, it is very rare. Bin Laden and the Taliban are the only Muslims that wear turbans with unshorn beards, and they are in Hiding somewhere. And in the public in western and european countries, Muslims do not wear turbans with unshorn beards; if they keep a beard, their mustache is shaved off, making Taliban the only unshorn beard keepers. That is a Sikh Faith to keep the beard and turban. If anything, Muslims wear a round hat ontop their heads; I do not know the name of the hat, and I"m sorry if saying "hat" is disrespectful. I am saying this because innocent people are going to be made targets, Islam people because of their looks, and Sikh people because of their looks (turbans and beards). If it were "Taliban" people that were getting chasedaround by the public, heck, kill a few Talibans here and there, they are all terrorists.

Comment

I find it a little funny that you feel the need to apologize for calling a 'hat' a 'hat' and the idea someone may take offense or find it disrespectful for something so trivial is a little bit wierd to me.

The public in the west needs to be educated about the enemy, about that I agree with you. I also agree that it's unforunate that Sikhs get caught in the crossfire. I have no problems with Sikhs.

The reality is this is part of a blacklash.. a ripple of cause an affect. Right or wrong...wrong in this case...this is collateral damage. All societies have limits on restraint. With continued attacks against the west ours are being tested.

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDreams
                  I find it a little funny that you feel the need to apologize for calling a 'hat' a 'hat' and the idea someone may take offense or find it disrespectful for something so trivial is a little bit wierd to me.

The public in the west needs to be educated about the enemy, about that I agree with you. I also agree that it's unforunate that Sikhs get caught in the crossfire. I have no problems with Sikhs.

The reality is this is part of a blacklash.. a ripple of cause an affect. Right or wrong...wrong in this case...this is collateral damage. All societies have limits on restraint. With continued attacks against the west ours are being tested.

its like calling the covering of a muslim lady a "hood".. when it is calledsomething else.. Some people take it offensive, my intentions were not of that, that is why I apologized before anyone took it the wrong way.

Comment

I have just seen QTV and a Moslem religious singer was wearing a Pugree and I mistook him for a Sikh till I saw that his moustache was trimmed very close and the beard sort of bloomed out like a flower downwards (for the want of a more apt description) so typical of the cleric, unlike the Sikhs and he sang beautifully and most melliflously about Medina, Mecca and Allah.

I was a bit confused earlier since he used the word "Bhool" instead of "galti" and some more of Indian like words.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sikh bodies condemn attacks on UK Gurdwaras
                      Sunday 17th July, 2005
                      Fauja Singh - Panthic Weekly Staff

London, UK (KP) - Sikh bodies from across the world have condemned the attack on Gurdwaras in Britain in the aftermath of the London bombings last week.

The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), has sent a letter to External Affairs Minister Natwar Singh, urging the Government to urgently take up the issue of attack on the Gurdwaras with the British Government.

SGPC member Kuldip Singh Bhogal has said in the letter that the attacks on Gurdwara’s (Sikh places of worship) have hurt sentiments of the Sikh community. He said after 9/11, the Sikhs became victims of mistaken identity. It is feared the same will happen in Britain, although it is hopped the long association between Sikhs and Britain will help to prevent this.

Mr Bhogal also strongly condemned the case of three Malaysian Sikhs whose hair was forcibly cut by their employer.

He urged the Minister to take up both the cases with the respective Governments so that racial attacks could be prevented immediately.

It has also been reported that the Government of Inida in a surprising move has asked the British government to take necessary steps to apprehend the perpetrators of attacks on Gurdwaras and Mosques in UK and protect the community against any further expression of racial tension.

"The Sikh community in the UK has carved out a highly respected place for itself in the British society through its industriousness and commitment. They have enriched the political landscape and contributed significantly to economic society," External Affairs Ministry spokesman Navtej Sarna said.

Fire broke out in a Gurdwara in Kent, Panthic Weekly has learnt that a Nishan Sahib at a Gurdwara in Leeds was also set fire to
                      Attached Files

Comment

Danish Sikhs feel backlash of London bombing
                        Sunday 17th July, 2005

Copenhagen, Denmark (KP) - In another case of mistaken identity after the London Bombings this time in Copenhagen, Denmark were a Sikh bus driver was assaulted by an unidentified person.

The Sikh bus driver was beaten with baseball bats after it was made known that the London bomb attacks had been perpetrated by an organization linked with Islamic extremists, Al Qaeda.

The assailants shouted "London" as they physically assaulted the driver. Police officers have said the driver is still under shock and that they are on the trail of the attackers. The Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has condemned the attack.

Comment

Met police visits London Gurdwara; memo presented
                          Sunday 17th July, 2005
                          Anoop Singh and Harkeerat Kaur - Panthic Weekly Staff

London, UK (KP) - Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair visited the Sikh community at Gurdwara Dasmesh Darbar, in east London Friday, July 15, 2005. Sir Ian Blair earlier urged Muslims to 'seize the moment' of the terror attacks on London to engage actively in counter-terrorism when he earlier visited a mosque in east London.

At the Gurdwara he held the 'Kirpan' which is a sign of justice and it was presented to him to help fight the injustices in London. It was presented to him by Harjinder Singh, the local representaive of the Sikh Federation (UK) and Gurdeep Singh.

Jagtar Singh of the political party Sikh Federation (UK) presented him with a memorandum expressing key concerns of the Sikh community in Britain. This Memorandum was presented by Sikh organisations working in collaboration to highlight race hate crimes against Sikhs. Apart from the Sikh Federation (UK), the National Council of Gurdwaras, Sikhs In England, United Sikhs and Young Sikhs (UK) were represented.

The Metropolitan Police expressed their concerns regarding the Sikh community being venerable to hate crimes in the aftermath of the London bombings due to their unique appearance.

The representatives of the Sikh community held a meeting earlier this week after a Gurudwara Sahib in Kent was firebombed last weekend.

The director of the United Sikhs Mejinderpal Kaur requested a meeting with the Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, because they were “concerned at the lack of public reassurance for the heightened need for vigilance for the security of the Sikh community and its places of worship,” Harjinder Singh of the Sikhs Care Society Heathrow also emphasised that “Sikhs do need to be singled out for extra protection."

As the chances of Sikhs being seen as the followers of Osama Bin Laden are very high.

Satnam Kaur of the British Sikh Women Organisation said," We are not saying that we should be singled put for any other reason other than that there are more Sikhs who wear Turbans than there are Muslims who wear Turbans. Therefore Sikhs need extra protection because the chances are greater for a Sikh to be a victim of a backlash crime."

Robert Tucker stated “vulnerable communities and that every incident against members of the community should be reported, for example knocking off a Sikh's turban."

Commander Jarman explained that it was their obligation to make sure a Sikh should be as safe as any member of the public as they are particular to vulnerability. Furthermore stating every Sikh Gurudwara should contact their Borough Commander if any problems occur. Harjinder Singh said: "We do not doubt the commitment of the officers we met today to the safety of all inhabitants of London, but we still feel that the people who attacked the Gurudwara woke up the police to the fact that there are these people called Sikhs who are more vulnerable."

Assistant Chief Constable, Robert Beckley, said he was very willing to facilitate similar meetings between the police in the counties and the Sikh community and the Sikh Gurdwara management.

Mejindarpal Kaur notified the police that several Sikh organisations had collaborated to set up a hate crime incident report facility. Dabinderjit Singh said, "A decision will be taken as to how and what information would be passed on to police taking into account any need to protect confidentiality."

In the memorandum presented to the Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair, the Sikh Federation (UK) states that attacks against Sikhs are spreading and increasing in seriousness. A serious knife assault against a Sikh has been reported in Ireland in the last 24 hours.

"Many race hate crimes are not being reported. Our own information that is being gathered through informal networks suggests for every case being reported to the police there may be as many as 30, 40 or 50 cases that are not being reported. While most of the race hate crimes are verbal rather than physical, that does not mean it's not serious, or very upsetting for the persons being targeted," it continued.

The memorandum also said that in general the police was doing a good job in terms of reassurance and safety, however, a report hads come in from Birmingham City Centre of what can only be termed a race hate crime against a Sikh by the police itself on the basis of his "identity". "Six police cars full of police manhandled a practising Sikh simply because of his identity as he was entering his office having just returned from lunch. Community confidence in the police across the UK has suffered requiring the need for a very public apology at the highest levels to try and restore confidence."

It said that senior politicians and those in authority have not learnt the lessons from the aftermath of 9/11 and have failed to acknowledge the difficulties being experienced by Sikhs due to "Mistaken Identity".

"We demand that politicians and those in authority at the highest levels make it very public that attacks against Sikhs and Gurdwaras are totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated," it concluded.
                          Attached Files

Comment

UK parliamentary Sikh group launched
                            Sunday 17th July, 2005

London, UK (KP) - A group of UK parliamentarians has set up a new group to help represent British Sikhs. This week the launch of a new group took place, whose main prupose will be to represent British Sikhs. A group of parliamentarians have created the group to help improve Government decisions affecting the Sikh community.

At a packed meeting in Parliament on Tuesday 12 July 2005, over 30 MPs and Lords - including Home Office Minister Tony McNulty MP - welcomed the public launch of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for UK Sikhs. MPs and Lords from across the political spectrum gathered with representatives from the 360 Gurdwaras (temples) and Sikh organisations, who had been invited to attend.

Peers and MPs hope the group will help improve government decisions about issues affecting the Sikh community. Wolverhampton South West MP Rob Marris will chair the All Party Parliamentary Group for UK Sikhs (APPG).

“The level of interest shown in the APPG from all parties is an excellent sign,” he said, adding he hoped women and young people would contribute.

Mr Marris went on to add that he hoped Gurdwaras and other Sikh organisations would work with the APPG to ensure their views were properly presented to government. Later on in the day, Mr Morris went along with a group of MPs accompanied by 7 Sikhs to submit a Memorandum at 10 Downing Street.

The inaugural meeting of this brand new APPG was held on 14 June 2005, and it agreed that the purpose of the APPG is: "To represent within Parliament and with government the interests and concerns of the UK Sikh community and to provide the government and the UK Sikh community with a better two-way consultation process to inform improved decision-making."

The level of interest shown in the APPG for UK Sikhs by so many Parliamentarians is a just reflection of the considerable contributions made to society by UK Sikhs. The membership of the APPG, and the excellent response from the Sikh communities, stem from an increasing desire amongst UK Sikhs to contribute fully to the UK's democratic institutions and decision-making processes.

Afterwards, the Chair of the APPG Rob Marris MP said: "I am delighted by the huge response from Sikh organisations and Gurdwaras, many of whom have now committed themselves to work in close partnership with the APPG for UK Sikhs, in order to ensure that UK Sikhs' views are properly understood and presented to government by Parliamentary representatives.

"This is even more important following the London terrorist bombings, and the totally unacceptable attacks on Sikhs and their places of worship - due to the ignorance and hatred of those who would seek to divide our society. They will not succeed."

All those present at the meeting expressed their outrage at the bombings themselves, and wholeheartedly condemned all attacks on people and on places of worship, including those against Sikhs who are the largest and most visible ethnic minority in the UK.

Immediately after the launch at Parliament, several Sikhs representatives, accompanied by MPs belonging to the APPG for UK Sikhs, submitted a Memorandum to 10 Downing Street. The Memorandum not only indicated those representatives' main areas of concern, as discussed at the launch meeting, but also made specific reference to the condemnation by Sikhs of last Thursday's terrorist attacks.

Because there seemed to have been little or no mention by senior politicians of the attacks on UK Sikhs, and no real visibility of Sikh leaders at faith or community events associated with the London bombings, an urgent request was made for Downing Street to condemn publicly all hate crimes including specifically those aimed at Sikhs and their religious institutions.

The groups of Sikhs included two young Sikh women, and two other Sikh students, accompanied by Bhai Amrik Singh, the Chair of the Sikh Federation (UK).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Stop and search — Sikh barrister is viewed as threat

Navtej Ahluwalia
                              Police harassment in the wake of the London bombings stretches far beyond stopping and searching young Muslim men. Navtej Ahluwalia is a barrister working in London. He describes his recent encounter with the authorities.

On Wednesday of last week I had to get a 7.25am train to Nottingham for a court case. I ran for the train, but was stopped at the barrier and told that I wasn’t able to board without a ticket.

I protested, saying that every time I’d taken that train I’d bought a ticket on the train.

They told me it wasn’t possible and gave me a blank look. So I ran downstairs, bought a ticket and ran back on to the train again. Once I’d sat down, two station managers came up to me and said they wanted me to get off the train.

They alleged I’d pushed a member of staff at the ticket barrier. This was untrue, so at first I refused their request. They replied that they were not going to let me travel.

I got off the train. Then the police came up to me and said they required me to submit to a search under section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

I told them this was ridiculous, that I was a barrister travelling to Nottingham for a court case. They replied that in the “current climate” they regarded my behaviour as suspicious.

I asked them what their basis was for saying that, given that my behaviour wasn’t anything other than that of a person getting on a train. They replied that they remained of the view that my actions were suspicious.

Eventually I told them that I didn’t accept they had grounds to search me under the Terrorism Act, but I wouldn’t stop them looking in my bags. All this was happening on the platform and everyone around me was looking. Of course, they found nothing.

I felt humiliated. I wear a turban and I’m quite evidently a Sikh. I told them my name and the officers went away to check who I was on the radio. I eventually got to court late and the case had to be put back.

On the way back to London I just didn’t want to get on the train at all. I’ve noticed there’s an open hostility among members of the public at the moment, that they’re watching me carefully.

It’s very unpleasant. I’m driving everywhere I go now.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X