• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear war looms closer

Report: Israel adds nukes to submarines

Saturday 11 October 2003, 18:04 Makka Time, 15:04 GMT

Submarines are now part of Israel's nuclear arsenal

Israel has modified US-made cruise missiles to carry nuclear warheads on submarines, giving it the ability to launch atomic weapons from land, air or sea.

These are the shock revelations released in a report according to the Los Angeles Times which published details about Israel's new capability on Saturday.

The missile modification was described by two US officials and confirmed by an Israeli official, the Times said. All three spoke on condition of anonymity.

"The Americans said they were disclosing the information to caution Israel's enemies at a time of heightened tensions in the region and concern over Iran's alleged ambitions," the Times said.

Complicate efforts

"We tolerate nuclear weapons in Israel for the same reason we tolerate them in Britain and France," a senior US official was quoted as saying. "We don't regard Israel as a threat."

Israel's newly acquired submarine capability will complicate efforts to persuade Iran to abandon a suspected nuclear weapons programme, the Times said.

Arab countries have criticised the United States and United Nations for pressuring Iran to accept tougher inspections while ignoring Israel's stockpile.

"A big source of contention is Israel," said a senior UN official trying to convince Iran to undergo additional inspections. "This is a magnet for other countries to develop nuclear weapons."

The only question is where will it start first? The Middle East or the Far East? Or somewhere in-between?

People have been saying 'nuclear war looms closer' for the past 50 years. First of all Israel is not going to use its nuclear weapons because its conventional arsenal is more than sufficient. China wont use them because they dont want Taiwan THAT badly. Iran PROBABLY wont use them...but I suppose they are the closest thing to a nuclear wild card. North Korea won't use them because there are too many forces holding them in check: China, the US, South Korea, Japan. If they tried anything they would be dead really fast.

Comment

"A big source of contention is Israel," said a senior UN official trying to convince Iran to undergo additional inspections. "This is a magnet for other countries to develop nuclear weapons."
      LOL, they make it seem like everyone is going to go out and rush to make Nuclear Weapons. I'm sorry but that's not how it works. Israel has nukes to deter, not to attack. Iran would have nukes to USE them through a proxy or directly. Iran is already building nukes, Israel building a sub isn't gonna make anyone start up a nuclear program.

The UN should be destroyed.
      Last edited by Praxus; 11 Oct 03,, 22:13.

Comment

LOL Your both probably right. Im not completely convinced. I dont think the Japanese or Israels enemies among others are either. The N. Koreans already think their dead so.....

Comment

IMHO, all this does is give Israel a relatively undetectable and therefore safe nuclear option, no different than the Cold War development of SSBs and SSBNs. In other words, you can take out my land- and air-based nuclear weapons but can you find my undersea-based nukes? No? Then you might want to think twice about attacking me.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The part that irks me is we're probably paying for the damn thing.

Israel is like a bastard step child that is long since out of control.

Comment

Step child I can accpet, but bastard? Isn't that being a little harsh? Face it, if the radical Muslims ever get enough people in power, Israel will be the only place that the US can project power from.
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

So far it's been the only place we HAVN'T been able to project power from!

Whatever my feelings for Israel, i do like you just fine BR.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  So far it's been the only place we HAVN'T been able to project power from!
                  Not for lack of oppurtunities. Israeli bases, flying rights, landing rights, and support have been offered as early as the 1980's

Originally posted by M21Sniper Whatever my feelings for Israel, i do like you just fine BR.
                  Thankx, dude.
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

But the political fallout from US basing in Israel would be enormous
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Not necessarily. It would depend on who was in the White House at the time.

Comment

Fallout is fallout. It does not matter who gave the order, other nations (Islamic, I'm sure) will pitch a fit.
                        The only difference the guy in the Oval Office will make is how it's dealt with.

Comment

That's what I meant. If we got us a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" guy (or for whoever has read Dale Brown someone like Bradley Elliott), than I wouldn't be surprised if Israel got a significantly larger amount of arms and support, fiscally and politically.

Comment

Bush is a damn the torpedos type.

Comment

And eh...exactly who first said Damn the torpedoes, and what was that person referring to? :dbanana

Comment

Working...
                              X