PDA

View Full Version : Dark Waters - must read book!

magic-spaceship
11 Jul 05,, 07:15
I have had a keen interst in books dealing with submarines for some time. The first submarine book I read was one about the ill-fated K-boats - they were steam powered! The book that really picked my interest was Blind Mans Bluff - awsome read. But I just read Dark Waters a wonderful book about the NR1. As the cold war thaws and more and more info comes out about american sub operations - I am amazed at what they accomplished in terms of espionage - and the NR1 was among the best. If you want a good read - by an actual NR1 plank owner - pick up Dark Waters by Lee Vyborny

Bill
11 Jul 05,, 07:18
Blind man's bluff was excellent.

Didn't you read Hunt for Red October?

The book is about 75,000x better than the movie. Must read for any submarine junkie.

magic-spaceship
11 Jul 05,, 07:20
Also pick up Rising Tide - its about the Soviets subs and there operations. The book was written from the authors interviews of Russian sub Captians and their crewmen. Its amazing that the world did not suffer many ecological disasters because of all the Russian Nuke subs that were falling to the bottom of the Sea - due to poor design/build and poor training of their crews. But if it was not for some of those same poorly trained and fed crewmen sacraficing their lives in times of crisis, we would have faced severe ecological impacts from russian nuke subs sinking and their reactors suffering melt downs.

magic-spaceship
11 Jul 05,, 07:24
Blind man's bluff was excellent.

Didn't you read Hunt for Red October?

The book is about 75,000x better than the movie. Must read for any submarine junkie.

yeah - I noticed all of clancys books are 75,000x better than the movie. I wont watch any more after that pc piece of **** - sum of all fears. How did muslim terrorist get morphed into nazis? Nazis are always the safe bad guys for Hollywood, because then they dont have to admit there are evil people who are not white too.

Unipidity
14 Jul 05,, 07:53
I like C&P D and Patriot Games. Ford was *perfect* for Ryan. He has the finger of doom too. In fact, C&P D the movie had a neater plot; the tip off Escebedo to Cortez's plan. Almeida and Defoe were perfectly cast too.

Bill
14 Jul 05,, 08:17
It would be great if they made a movie out of Clancy's RSR, but it would have to be four hours long, and have a 200 million dollar budget.

magic-spaceship
14 Jul 05,, 20:14
It would be great if they made a movie out of Clancy's RSR, but it would have to be four hours long, and have a 200 million dollar budget.

so?

I would pay 8 bucks to see it. The only movie of his I truely liked was Red October.