Viking Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking Ship

I said I wasn't going to build old cheap models anymore.

But, the wife and I were at Hobby Lobby and she thought I should get this because it was "Cute"

And although it may be an old model, its not a bad one. Fun quick (sorta) build.

There are 131 parts in the box. 64 of those parts are the shields. 32 are the oars So only 35 parts to the ship.

The sprue shots

Click image for larger version

Name:	box.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1485752

Name:	sprue 1.JPG
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1485749

Name:	sprue 2.JPG
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1485750

Name:	sprue 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1485751

Name:	rest.JPG
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1485753

Got the hull together, deck painted/weathered. Working on the shields.

Name:	head.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1476716

Name:	starboard.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1476717

Name:	overhead.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	1476718

Name:	shields.jpg
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1476719

Comment

I was in Edina this past week and in my travels saw this. https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018...t-winter-park/ Scroll to the bottom.

Edina the only city that rhymes with Regina. Whose slogan was, "Regina the only city that rhymes with fun."

Comment

Some background.

The revell ship is based on the Gokstad ship excavated fro a burial mound near Oslo Norway in 1880. From what I've read she would be called a Karfi and not a longship. A karfi having 12-16 pairs of oars. She would carry 32-64 men depending on the length of the voyage. 64 if they wanted 2 shifts of oarsmen.

Something that the kit does not have, and I'm not going to scratchbuild. Each crewman would have a box to store all his gear. The box would be used as a seat while rowing.

Also from what I've read, the fancy shields were not warfighting shields but a ceremonial thing. The shields, or what remained of them at the site were black and yellow. But the wife really likes the "Fancy" shields so I plan to do one side with them and one side with black and yellow ocre shields

The face decal wouldn't be on the sail either. Sail would be either linen color, or red. Sometimes linen with red stripes according to various drawings. The rigging diagram is very simple and probably wrong. But there are no boats that the rigging survived,
        so who knows

The kit was first released in 1977. Has a little bit of flash on a few parts but the fit was outstanding.

I used

Vallejo model air NATO brown, Red oxide primer and Metal Color Steel.
        Model Master Leather and Deck Tan
        And some craft Acrylic paints in Yellow Ocre and bronze
        Black India ink

This would be a great first model for a child. Easy to put together, few parts. Would need some help with the rigging and sail. And if you didn't want to, could be a good model without painting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
          I was in Edina this past week and in my travels saw this. https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018...t-winter-park/ Scroll to the bottom.

Edina the only city that rhymes with Regina. Whose slogan was, "Regina the only city that rhymes with fun."
          Thats pretty cool

Comment

Been kinda lazy posting.

Painted the sail red. What does the black pattern represent? From what I could dig up it was either that the vikings could not make the sail out of one single piece, so they made square pieces and edged them with leather. Then sewed the leather ends together to make the full sail. The other theory is that they used ropes to make the sail form the shape they wanted for best handling. Its seen in a lot of drawings/carvings of the period. But no one wrote down what it was.

After about 45 min trying to tie the lines connecting the sail to the yard, I gave up and just glued it. Then added the ropes

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	1476928

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1476929

Then a bit of rigging. Bundled the oars on deck and called it done

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post

Everybody I talk to out-of-state pronounces it "Edeena". The first few times I heard it pronounced that way, I asked, "did you say Wadena?"

Then they spell it out "E-D-I-N-A". And I say, "oh, Edina".

Monticello gets pronounced as "Montisello" in MN. I'm from here, but that always bothered even me. I prefer Monti-chello, and have gotten flak for it. Nobody in MN knows how to pronounce the name of the actual Monticello properly, because some idiot mangled the name of a city here over 100 years ago.
              Last edited by Ironduke; 15 Jul 18,, 20:18.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

A really fun model to build. Not really accurate. But the boat goes together easy.

Like I stated earlier it would be a good first ship mode for a kid. Or, If someone wanted to go AMS and spend some time its a good starting point for an impressive model.

Mast is to tall, rigging instructions are simplified and the oar holes need cover blocks. Needs a band to hold the shields, and chest for the crew to store their stuff and sit on

For me it was just a cool model that the wife picked out.

Final shots

Name:	done 001.jpg
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	1476930

Name:	done 002.jpg
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	1476931

Name:	done 003.jpg
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	1476932

Comment

I like.

Last edited by Ironduke; 15 Jul 18,, 20:26.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                  X