PDA

View Full Version : Your new administrator is here!

astralis
02 Feb 18,, 03:37
hello everyone,

just wanted to let you know that there will soon be more enlightened administration here at WAB. allow me to introduce you all to lil' asty...:-)

WABs_OOE
02 Feb 18,, 03:41
Hello, future Asty's heart attack.

Ironduke
02 Feb 18,, 03:49
Congratulations.

DOR
02 Feb 18,, 03:51
Bravo, bravo!
Author, author!

(When congratulated, repeat this phrase: “The pleasure was all mine.”)

Double Edge
02 Feb 18,, 03:51
Congrats : D

Bigfella
02 Feb 18,, 04:25
Congratulations Asty & Mrs Asty. Hope be gets his Mum's looks. ;-)

zraver
02 Feb 18,, 05:08
Congrats Atsy, may your child live long and well enough to die surrounded by their great grand children in a world that knows peace and plenty for all.

citanon
02 Feb 18,, 08:33
Oh wow, CONGRAAAAAAAATS!!!!

TopHatter
02 Feb 18,, 13:02
Congratulations Asty!!

Oracle
02 Feb 18,, 13:43
Congratulations Asty!!!

Albany Rifles
02 Feb 18,, 14:30
Congratulations to you two!

A true blessing!

And you now will not be right again until your child turns 31.

SteveDaPirate
02 Feb 18,, 16:16
Congrats man!

astralis
02 Feb 18,, 16:47
little tyke was born about a month early...no issues past the standard developmental ones (lungs need to grow more, jaundice). so he'll be sunbathing in the NICU, and will be waited on hand and foot by a team of nurses for a while.

not a bad way to start life!

Toby
02 Feb 18,, 19:08
Good health little un!

Albany Rifles
02 Feb 18,, 19:54
How's Mom?

cataphract
02 Feb 18,, 20:27
Congratulations :)

astralis
02 Feb 18,, 22:41
thanks everyone.

as you might imagine, mom's tired as all get out. silver lining to the NICU thing is that mom can rest a bit more than she would with a baby in tow.

for the time being, i get the uniquely pleasant experience of diaper-changing while the NICU nurses have a chuckle at my clumsiness. good times!

Boilermaker9
02 Feb 18,, 23:24
Congratulations to your lovely wife and to you on the new arrival! The Start of a new era! Enjoy! They say a ones wealth is measured in their children. I am a very rich man.. 8 children 16 grandchildren and 10 great grand children! so I would say that puts me on a par with Bill Gates! : ). looks like you and your lovely wife are off and running! Congratulations!

zraver
04 Feb 18,, 18:15
thanks everyone.

as you might imagine, mom's tired as all get out. silver lining to the NICU thing is that mom can rest a bit more than she would with a baby in tow.

for the time being, i get the uniquely pleasant experience of diaper-changing while the NICU nurses have a chuckle at my clumsiness. good times!

That short window passes quickly, it gets bad. However, it still has to be done. Get used to sleeping in 2 hour blocks and dreaming of the day you can add a bit of rice to the formula to stretch that window to four hours. Its the hardest and most important job you will ever do and the most rewarding. It also makes music sound funny... Songs like Simple Man and Fade In will make you tear up now.

rosspoons
04 Feb 18,, 18:19
Congratulations. Pray you (and he) do not have to deal with colic, well probably more he and she do not...

Gun Grape
04 Feb 18,, 19:13
Congrats.

Have fun. Enjoy the ride. Remember all the mischief you got into, and the worries you caused your parents? Well its payback time

Triple C
08 Feb 18,, 08:48
Congratulations!

astralis
09 Feb 18,, 00:48
thanks! kiddo is now back home from the NICU. let the sleepless nights commence!

Deltacamelately
19 Feb 18,, 07:15
Congratulations Asty! Wish the little one a long and happy life.

Big K
19 Feb 18,, 08:45
Congrats!!!

I wish the little one a long and healthy and happy life. May god guide her/him to meet good people

Monash
15 Mar 18,, 22:47
Just saw the thread. Congrats to all concerned. After all the excitement I'm sure you're enjoying that solid 8 hours you get every night.

tbm3fan
15 Mar 18,, 23:16
Maybe he is lucky like me. Our newborn, 9 years old tomorrow, slept through the nights right from the beginning. Nobody had to get up at night to tend to him.

astralis
16 Mar 18,, 01:26
the first few nights weren't too bad; had to wake him up every 4 hours for a feeding.

then the doc said he was gaining weight too fast, and for a glorious 3 weeks we could let him sleep through the night, with maybe a feeding in between.

then a week and a half ago, he was "gaining weight too slow", and now has to go through 2 hour feeds-- complete misery, as the baby had to be woken up, fed a moderate amount (too much and he'd throw it up), burped, and then put back to sleep. z's statement above came true!

cuteness keeps the baby alive!

tbm3fan
16 Mar 18,, 03:08
Gaining wait too fast, gaining weight to slow, can't say I heard that myself. Yet my son was 10lbs. 10oz. when born via C-section which is why he was C-section for a Filipina. The doc let me stand in for the surgery/delivery and the kid was big.

DarthSiddius
16 Mar 18,, 22:40
Just saw this. Congrats Asty!

astralis
06 May 18,, 20:45
dunno if this will require a new thread soon!

the new administrator continues to grow like a weed. this is a picture from 3 weeks ago, so he's changed quite a bit since then.

little guy will have some paying back to do when he's a bit older, though. people aren't kidding when they say the first year of baby tests a marriage like nothing else. sleep-deprived, stressed out Mama = a lot of holding it in for me as she lashes out. or, even worse, when i hear her sobbing in the bathroom when she's taking a shower.

this too will pass, but it's too damn bad that it's split between the joy of watching the kiddo start smiling and cooing, and the pain of the above. oof!

zraver
06 May 18,, 22:21
dunno if this will require a new thread soon!

the new administrator continues to grow like a weed. this is a picture from 3 weeks ago, so he's changed quite a bit since then.

little guy will have some paying back to do when he's a bit older, though. people aren't kidding when they say the first year of baby tests a marriage like nothing else. sleep-deprived, stressed out Mama = a lot of holding it in for me as she lashes out. or, even worse, when i hear her sobbing in the bathroom when she's taking a shower.

this too will pass, but it's too damn bad that it's split between the joy of watching the kiddo start smiling and cooing, and the pain of the above. oof!

Beaware of post partum depression and get her help if she needs it. Her body spent 9 months running on a different chemical formula with baby inside, now her body and mind basically going through chemical withdrawls.

Ironduke
12 May 18,, 11:45
Heh, he's already sticking out his tongue at the camera. :-)

Quick learner.

astralis
27 May 18,, 05:57
z,

Beaware of post partum depression and get her help if she needs it. Her body spent 9 months running on a different chemical formula with baby inside, now her body and mind basically going through chemical withdrawls.

you sure weren't kidding about the PPD. it's gotten pretty serious, and what makes it worse that she refuses to get medical treatment for it. she absolutely refuses to take any medicine as she's breastfeeding, so now I'm trying to get her to at least talk to a therapist.

this is probably the most challenging year of my life-- and it's -not- the baby, at least not directly.

Triple C
27 May 18,, 10:29
Heh, the WAB is now ruled by a hereditary family now? Somebody liberate us from this Asian despotism already!

Bigfella
27 May 18,, 11:13
z,

you sure weren't kidding about the PPD. it's gotten pretty serious, and what makes it worse that she refuses to get medical treatment for it. she absolutely refuses to take any medicine as she's breastfeeding, so now I'm trying to get her to at least talk to a therapist.

this is probably the most challenging year of my life-- and it's -not- the baby, at least not directly.

I've only ever dealt with regular depression, but I'm assuming it manifests in broadly similar ways. I don't know if any of this helps, but it is a view from the other side of the glass, so to speak.

*If she won't take medication then try to make sure she doesn't feel isolated.
*Talk but try not to judge.
*Try to encourage her to talk to others, preferably professional, but family & friends help. Doesn't need to be about anything in particular, just the human connection helps.
*Push gently, people can become resentful of too much interference.
*Make sure she gets to do things she enjoys. Depression can make time drag interminably, doing happy things helps to break that up & connect you to your better self. it won't fix it, but it will help.
*I used to feel really ashamed & reluctant to 'burden' others with something I felt was my fault. The feeling of failure makes it even worse.

All of this puts a lot on your shoulders. Dealing with someone who is depressed sucks and having to be their major support would suck mightily. On top of that there is a baby to take care of. Yikes! Make sure you take care of yourself. Talk, get advice & make sure you are supported too. You are no good to anyone else if you are no good to yourself. Hopefully this will pass.

Good luck mate. Don't be afraid to reach out to your WAB family in open forum or privately. We can't do much, but we will try. :-)

DOR
28 May 18,, 09:45
I've only ever dealt with regular depression, but I'm assuming it manifests in broadly similar ways. I don't know if any of this helps, but it is a view from the other side of the glass, so to speak.

*If she won't take medication then try to make sure she doesn't feel isolated.
*Talk but try not to judge.
*Try to encourage her to talk to others, preferably professional, but family & friends help. Doesn't need to be about anything in particular, just the human connection helps.
*Push gently, people can become resentful of too much interference.
*Make sure she gets to do things she enjoys. Depression can make time drag interminably, doing happy things helps to break that up & connect you to your better self. it won't fix it, but it will help.
*I used to feel really ashamed & reluctant to 'burden' others with something I felt was my fault. The feeling of failure makes it even worse.

All of this puts a lot on your shoulders. Dealing with someone who is depressed sucks and having to be their major support would suck mightily. On top of that there is a baby to take care of. Yikes! Make sure you take care of yourself. Talk, get advice & make sure you are supported too. You are no good to anyone else if you are no good to yourself. Hopefully this will pass.

Good luck mate. Don't be afraid to reach out to your WAB family in open forum or privately. We can't do much, but we will try. :-)

Amen.