Naval special forces operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval special forces operations

Various nations have carried out countless brave, crazy, suicidal operations over the years.
    Here's one such operation.

Operation Frankton. Which basically involved being dropped off by Submarine at the entrance of the Gironde estuary. Canoe down it to the German occupied French port of Bordeaux and Mine the shipping moored up. Then escape to Spain and then Gibraltar.

http://dai.ly/x2i4um2
    Last edited by Toby; 05 Nov 17,, 13:04.

'THE GREATEST RAID OF ALL'

The St Nazaire Raid or Operation Chariot was a successful British amphibious attack on the heavily defended Normandie dry dock at St Nazaire in German-occupied France during the Second World War. The operation was undertaken by the Royal Navy and British Commandos under the auspices of Combined Operations Headquarters on 28 March 1942. St Nazaire was targeted because the loss of its dry dock would force any large German warship in need of repairs, such as the Bismarck's sister ship Tirpitz, to return to home waters via either the English Channel or the GIUK gap, both of which were heavily defended by British units including the Royal Navy's Home Fleet, rather than having a haven available on the Atlantic coast in Nazi-occupied France.
    The obsolete destroyer HMS Campbeltown, accompanied by 18 smaller craft, crossed the English Channel to the Atlantic coast of France and was rammed into the Normandie dock gates. The ship had been packed with delayed-action explosives, well hidden within a steel and concrete case, that detonated later that day, putting the dock out of service for the remainder of the war and up to five years after.
    A force of commandos landed to destroy machinery and other structures. Heavy German gunfire sank, set ablaze, or immobilised virtually all the small craft intended to transport the commandos back to England; the commandos had to fight their way out through the town to try to escape overland. Almost all were forced to surrender when their ammunition was expended and they were surrounded and captured by the Wehrmacht defending Saint-Nazaire.
    After the raid, 228 men of the force of 611 returned to Britain; 169 were killed and 215 became prisoners of war. German casualties were over 360 dead, some killed after the raid when Campbeltown exploded. To recognise their bravery, 89 decorations were awarded to members of the raiding party, including five Victoria Crosses. After the war, St Nazaire was one of 38 battle honours awarded to the Commandos; the operation has since become known as The Greatest Raid of All within military circles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid

Comment

Little know fact...the HMS Campbeltown was the ex-USS Buchanan...DD 171 and was a Wickes class destroyer named for Confederate Admiral Franklin Buchanan (we did a lot of stupid shit in the name of unity during World War 1). Always had a soft spot for this raid as Buchanan is my surname.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        Little know fact...the HMS Campbeltown was the ex-USS Buchanan...DD 171 and was a Wickes class destroyer named for Confederate Admiral Franklin Buchanan (we did a lot of stupid shit in the name of unity during World War 1). Always had a soft spot for this raid as Buchanan is my surname.
        Lol...Ah right..I remember reading about that. Thanks for reminding me.
        I think Clarkson is made for presenting documentaries like this and should do more.. He has that skill in bucket loads!
        No matter how many times I read about some of these raids... The sheer positive nature of the individuals involved always leaves me flabbergasted.

Comment

Working...
        X