PDA

View Full Version : 1/72 F-18s

Gun Grape
26 Dec 16,, 20:53
Had these around for a few weeks and decided I should get something built (or at least started) before the year runs out.

All Hasegawa kits. I have 2 F-18Es, A F-18F and a F-18C.

the F is in the VFA-41 Black Aces CAG boxing

One of the Es and the C in the VFA-27 Royal Maces History boxing.

The last one is the old F-18E boxing with VFA-14 Top Hat USS Nimitz 2009 (?) CAG or VFA 115 Eagles CAG.

Pictures to follow

Gun Grape
26 Dec 16,, 21:24
First Build. Old E with Eduard PE

Gun Grape
26 Dec 16,, 21:29
Did a little. Glued wings, drop tanks together.

Then started on the cockpit

The Eduard PE really dresses up the otherwise plain back deck. And their instrument panels are way better then the decals that Hasegawa provides.

TopHatter
27 Dec 16,, 05:09
First Build. Old E with Eduard PE

I see it came with the correct squadron decals :-)

Gun Grape
01 Jan 17,, 02:10
Bit more work today

Finished the cockpit and put the fuselage together.

After the fact, I will say that PE in 1/72 scale isn't worth buying. After a couple hours folding and putting the cockpit PE together, I realize that you won't see any of it. And they caused fit problems.

The back deck piece and the bangseat pieces were worth using. Since I have a set for the 18F I'll use them but the rest of the planes will be OOB.

Big seam. Had been warned about it reading other builds. So I didn't put the intakes on. Much easier to fix that way

Gun Grape
01 Jan 17,, 02:18
I see it came with the correct squadron decals :-)

Hate to break it to you. I'm not using them. Have some different squadron decals that I like better.

The only plane I'm using the kit decals on is the F-18F VF-41 CAG markings.

TopHatter
01 Jan 17,, 03:35
Hate to break it to you. I'm not using them. Have some different squadron decals that I like better.

I swear to god...

We just can't have nice things!

Gun Grape
01 Jan 17,, 04:12
I swear to god...

We just can't have nice things!

I like this one better. What do you think?

tbm3fan
01 Jan 17,, 06:47
I like it!

Gun Grape
31 Mar 17,, 18:46
What happened?

Right after this, we had the holidays, 2 birthdays, 1 funeral, The wife and I's anniversary (26th).

Then the water got cold enough for the winter fish (Whiting and Trout) to start biting. I only do models on the weekend. And if the choice is between putting together a model or fishing. Fishing wins every time.

I have not forgot about these. They are just in a holding pattern.

Builder 2010
26 Jun 17,, 00:31
Notice how clean that plane was. I don't like them when they're over-weathered. It's funny... I only do modeling during the week. It's my retirement "job". That's the deal wife and I've worked out.

Gun Grape
25 Sep 17,, 03:40
Fish are not biting, its to hot. Got my son graduated from High School, and all that entails. Got him off to AF boot camp, went to see his Boot Camp Graduation a week before the hurricane. Had a close call with Irma

Finally a little bit of model building time. Oh yea, now that the son is gone and there is a spare/unused room, I talked the wife into letting me put a work table in there instead of trying to build from my computer desk.

Got the F-18F done. Mostly, still need to microsand the dust off the gloss coat. Then give her a satin finish.

Hasegawa 1/72 F-18f in Black Aces CAG boxing

It has been too humid to use the airbrush so painted with a harry stick using model master paints.

Finished as the 2010 CAG bird off the USS Nimitz. Slick with 2 CATM-9s on the wingtips

A few quick pics. I'll post more/better ones when I get them all finished.

TopHatter
25 Sep 17,, 04:55
I like this one better. What do you think?

How did I miss this?? YES USE THIS ONE!

Albany Rifles
25 Sep 17,, 16:03
Well done, Gunny!

Builder 2010
29 Sep 17,, 16:31
Good job! Are you putting on some matte finish?

Gun Grape
02 Oct 17,, 02:23
Good job! Are you putting on some matte finish?

Yes, or maybe a satin one. But the humidity here is so high lately that air brushing is on hold.

Will probably wait until I get all the birds done. Then have a big varnish party.

If anyone is interested in doing a 1:72 F-18c. Don't by the old box (or the Royal maces combo) The old school Hasegawa kit sucks.

Ejector pin marks all over visible places, Ill fitting parts. For a 30 year old kit, its what you would expect. I hear the Academy kit is far better.

Gun Grape
22 Nov 17,, 23:12
Finished, except for satin coat, F-18C. Built as A F-18A+

My first Jarhead bird. OOB except MAU Decals. VMFA-232 when assigned to the Nimitz airwing in 2007

VMFA 232, The Red Devils, are the oldest active Marine Corps Fighter Squadron. Established on 1 Sept 1925

Builder 2010
23 Nov 17,, 01:03
Good job! It will look great with the matte finish. I always have trouble with those big tail decals.

Gun Grape
25 Nov 17,, 02:15
Good job! It will look great with the matte finish. I always have trouble with those big tail decals.

Thanks

MAU decals broke the tail down to 4 decals. The diamond, The Tail code, slime light and CAG are all separate decals. The hardest one to put down was the walkways. They were kit Hasegawa decals. Thick and with a mind of their own.

Builder 2010
25 Nov 17,, 19:35
What kind of decal solution are you using? I've used Walther's Solvaset and the Micro-sol products. Solvaset is sometimes a bit too aggressive.

Gun Grape
26 Nov 17,, 01:12
Usually MicroSol/Set. On really thick decals or places there are a lot of detail/contours, I use Tamiya Mark fit, Strong. Never had any problem with it eating decals but every once in a while it will react with the Acrylic paint/future. But nothing a little touch-up paint doesn't solve.

When my bottle of MicroSol runs out I'll probable replace it with regular strength Mark Fit.

I've had many instances where SolvaSet did bad things to the decal. Quit using that.

On decals that have a rep for silvering, I'll lay them on a thin coat of wet Future.

Builder 2010
26 Nov 17,, 02:02
Does the Future dry with the decals over top? I'll have to try that sometime. I'm also using the Micro-sol decal film on the really bad actors that are going to fall apart. Even then I sometimes can't save them. It's almost better to scan them and print them on new decal film.

Gun Grape
26 Nov 17,, 23:09
The few times I've used it, had no problem with the Future drying.

I agree about jst printing off nw decals. I've ried the MicroSol decal film and spraying them with a layer of clear acrylic. Neither worked great.

back 30+ years ago, it was said that MicroSol/Set was nothing but a vinegar solution. And I was using a home brew of Vinegar/water and a drop of soap. Worked good. But, decals are alot thinner now.
So I'm afraid to do that again.

Same with using Solvaset. Back then I would cut it 50/50 with water. And would still have bad things happen sometimes. It would eat Microscale decals every time. Back when they were the only aftermarket decal company