Star Wars: Rogue One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: Rogue One

I'm really excited about this movie, probably far more so than Ep VII.

I've got tickets to see it on Sunday, so I'll have to once again avoid the Internet for a few days to avoid spoilers.

This is where the revived franchise can stand on its own two feet and truly becomes a part of the original trilogy.
    So far I've skimmed a review that called it a "gritty war film" and have seen a 50-second clip. It looks like a winner! (fingers crossed though)

Post your spoiler-free reactions when you've seen it!
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

'S alright. Dragged my Wife to the 9 Am showing: she didn't care for it. Not surprised. None of the characters are compelling and the story doesn't have much emotional oomph to it.

Other than some jumpiness at the beginning, plot flowed well and is mostly easy to follow. Though I have one particular grievance about the plot at the end, it's not enough to break the film.

Definitely a war movie. Not a GRITTY war movie. A PG-13 war movie. It does NOT feel like a space adventure. There is a scene or two that looks more like Black Hawk Down than Star Wars.
    The other thing they get right: The Empire just FEELS powerful and omnipresent. The Rebel situation feels hopeless. And you get that feeling right from the get go. It does not feel like a bunch of Ewoks can come in and destroy tanks and kill Storm Troopers. Definitely the kind of movie where if Ewoks come in they'd get destroyed in a single, unglamorous, 2 second explosion and everyone would go on as if nothing happened.
    Slight irrelevant spoiler: They actually do have some midget aliens as bit pieces, but they look more like Chucky, the killer doll. Definitely not cuddly Ewoks. Hope that's not REALLY spoiling.

Visuals are amazing. Not just "special effects" but the choice of shots and the movement of the camera. Lots of cool stuff.

The main character is, if anything, worse than Rey. I hate Rey because she feels like a god-awful Mary Sue who is going to join the Disney Princess line-up as soon as she learns to believe in herself. This girl is like emotionless Kristen Stewart-decides-to-fight-the-Empire.

I will also say the robot is hilarious along with Kung Fu Action Jesus.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Two things I liked about the movie:

1) It showed how ruthless the empire could be. Return of ths Jedi left a bad taste in my mouth with the Ewoks beating the stormtroopers so easily.

2) It answered a serious gripe a lot of people had about the Death Star being so easily destroyed in the original Star Wars story.
      Last edited by YellowFever; 17 Dec 16,, 22:25.

Comment

Just saw it. Quite well done, the ending in particular is a heart-pounder. You actually give a damn about what's happening on the screen, something the prequels utterly failed at. Once again we're shown just had hideously flawed they were, and how in the hands of a competent writer and director, you can make a satisfying Star Wars film.

More than anything, the movie has heart.

I saw this in a Gizmondo comments section and think it sums up the series very well:

"You don’t go to a Star Wars movie for an air tight plot and cerebral themes. You go see a Star Wars movie because they’re a lot of fun and they make you feel good. That’s where the prequels failed - there was no heart. As long as this one has heart, I’m good."
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I dunno, I thought there was heart at some points, but feels pretty stiff most of the time. I felt myself wishing the movie would just hurry up and skip certain scenes. Not anywhere near as bad as the prequels, obviously, but I thought Force Awakens was more lively (if a bit sillier).
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
            I dunno, I thought there was heart at some points, but feels pretty stiff most of the time. I felt myself wishing the movie would just hurry up and skip certain scenes. Not anywhere near as bad as the prequels, obviously, but I thought Force Awakens was more lively (if a bit sillier).
            Oh there were definitely parts where I was getting a wee bit impatient...all in all I liked it and The Force Awakens.

Comment

oh man, this was definitely the #2 movie in the entire franchise.

the first half of the movie was clunky but the second half was great. i'm glad the director had the courage to go all the way-- if you're gonna make this a "gritty darker" star wars, let's MAKE it a gritty darker star wars.

much much better than the Force Awakens, which i was actively angry about.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think one of the most enduring parts about Rogue One is that it proved that Star Wars hasn't been "Disney-fied".

Of course, the PG-13 rating was a big clue from the start.

The question now is, can Episode VIII take the ball and run with it?

Comment

Highly unlikely.

If you look at the director, cinematographer and such, they did some "gritty" films before Rogue One.

Judging by the people associated with Episode 8, it'll be more Sci-Fi Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                    Highly unlikely.

If you look at the director, cinematographer and such, they did some "gritty" films before Rogue One.

Judging by the people associated with Episode 8, it'll be more Sci-Fi Disney.
                    I'm skeptical of course...The proof is always in the pudding and the pudding is still a year away.

I think one of my biggest complaints has been the music, believe it or not. These movies don't quite "sound" like Star Wars.

The trailers most certainly have. All trailers have used the familiar Star Wars cues in beautiful and creative new ways. And then the movies just kinda...don't.

Apparently this is a horrible trend

Comment

i was really impressed by the last minute or two of the movie-- that very, very well done callback to New Hope. that was really well done.

i thought the movie would end with leia bending down to R2D2, but unfortunately not. that very last scene was a bit jarring (not in a good way). sooo close.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        I'm skeptical of course...The proof is always in the pudding and the pudding is still a year away.

I think one of my biggest complaints has been the music, believe it or not. These movies don't quite "sound" like Star Wars.

The trailers most certainly have. All trailers have used the familiar Star Wars cues in beautiful and creative new ways. And then the movies just kinda...don't.

Apparently this is a horrible trend
                        I think the movie companies all have discovered how to make good trailers versus movies. What I really hate is that half the scenes aren't even in the movie or have been created from small clips from different scenes edited together to create a non-existent scene. Even the music usually isn't in the movie. If only they could make a movie out of stringing trailers together. Then I might actually enjoy one.

Comment

Rogue One is far better than Ep.VII thats for sure. i especially liked that the rebellion wasnt made of "angels coming from light side" after all.

but here is my question:

i know that George Lucas' s intervention to Ep.VII was limited and none existant in this one. (if i am correct)

so was he the one to blame for bad SW movies? as far as i know he is the man behind episodes I-II-III & VII.

can we say that after the original episodes (IV-V-VI) he lost his "thing" for SW?
                          Last edited by Big K; 06 Jan 17,, 12:06.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
                            i know that George Lucas' s intervention to Ep.VII was limited and none existant in this one. (if i am correct)
                            You are 100% correct. Lucas' involvement of any kind in the Star Wars franchise ended in 2012 when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.
                            He, or Disney, likely just him, had initially hoped(?) that he would remain on as a consultant of sorts...which promptly went nowhere fast.

In addition, he had 3 story treatments for the new VII, VIII and IX. Disney took one look at them and chucked them into the garbage can (After I, II, III and the constant needless meddling with IV, V and VI "Special Editions", who can blame them?). Lucas then took his toys (well, not really, since they're now owned by Disney) and went home.

Lucas hated VII and compared the sale of Star Wars to Disney like selling your kids to "white slavers"....a remark he instantly regretted.

so was he the one to blame for bad SW movies? as far as i know he is the man behind episodes I-II-III & VII.
                            Yes, yes he was. He was the sole writer and director for I, II and III. He gets to own the blame for them. His producer was a useless yes-man, hired to fulfill Lucas' orders, rather than do what a producer is supposed to do: "be a movie’s begetter and first, demanding viewer." Unfortunately, when one man holds the keys to the entire kingdom, and isn't particularly interested in collaborating creatively, a producer becomes a lapdog.

I guess the prequels can be summed up in this video, specifically from 1:15 to 2:42 and from 4:37 to 7:55

The producer on the first two films sets a lot of things out in a clear way in this article

can we say that after the original episodes (IV-V-VI) he lost his "thing" for SW?
                            Ironically, this was on full display in the Lucasfilm-produced documentary "Empire Of Dreams": Ep IV was initially a disaster. It was saved by three things: Editors (other than Lucas) cutting the film into something watchable. ILM getting their act together and creating some incredible special effects. John Williams creating an incomprable musical score that arguably did as much storytelling of the film as the script and acting. Of course, Williams did have some "help" from Erich Wolfgang Korngold... There was also the incredible set design/decorating and props and Ben Burtt's genius and omnipresent sound effects.

In other words, IV was a collaboration of a lot of people....including Lucas. I'll give him credit where credit is due. But just like Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek, Lucas receives far too much credit for the success of Star Wars. But I guess that's only natural. People like to point to one person and say "He or She is the reason for this particular success". It's easier that way and black-and-white is much simpler to "digest" than a million shades of grey.

By comparison, Ep V wasn't written or directed by him, and the difference was like night and day...which explains why Ep V is so revered to this day.

Comment

Working...
                            X