PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Trump protests

troung
12 Nov 16,, 16:14
Horrible group of protestors.

Donald Trump protester shot during Oregon demonstration

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-protester-shot-oregon-demonstration/

Last Updated Nov 12, 2016 9:19 AM EST

PORTLAND, Ore. -- As protests of President-elect Donald Trump entered another day, police in Portland, Oregon, say one person was shot and injured by a man who had gotten into a confrontation with a protester and then opened fire.

Portland police said the victim was taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries and they were looking for a male suspect, who got out of a vehicle and fired multiple shots early Saturday morning on a Willamette River bridge before fleeing in the vehicle.

The shooting followed rowdy Friday night protests, when police used tear gas in response to “burning projectiles” thrown at officers, police said on Twitter. Hundreds of people marched through the city, disrupting traffic and spray-painting graffiti.

Authorities reported instances of vandalism and assault during a rally that organizers had billed as peaceful earlier in the day.

Anger over the election has had some violent and ugly results, CBS News correspondent Marlie Hall reports.

A video posted to social media shows David Wilcox, a white Trump supporter, being beaten by a group of African-Americans following a traffic dispute in Chicago.

“Somebody yelled, ‘That’s one of them white boy Trump supporters,’ and then I said, ‘What does that have to do with this? We’re talking about insurance here,’” Wilcox told CBS station WBBM-TV. “And I asked the lady, ‘Ma’am, do you have insurance?’ and immediately punches were thrown. They didn’t say a word.”
Anti-Trump protests continue for third consecutive night
Play Video
Anti-Trump protests continue for third consecutive night

But the coarseness goes both ways.

Chants of “white power” were heard from students holding a Trump-Pence campaign sign at a school in York, Pennsylvania.

And middle schoolers in Michigan chanted “build the wall,” leaving Latino students in tears. Reaction from the school district was swift.

“This is not who we are,” said Principal Todd Noonan. “Everyone is welcome in our community of learners. We build bridges. We work together.”
Ugliness persists three days after Trump's election
Play Video
Ugliness persists three days after Trump's election

In other parts of the country, spirited demonstrations on college campuses and peaceful marches along downtown streets have taken place since Wednesday.

Hundreds joined a Friday afternoon “love rally” in Washington Square Park in Manhattan.

Leslie Holmes, 65, a website developer from Wilton, Connecticut, took an hour-long train ride to the demonstration - her first protest since the 1970s, when she hit the streets of San Francisco to oppose the Vietnam War.
President-elect Trump ponders changes and cabinet
Play Video
President-elect Trump ponders changes and cabinet

She described herself as an armchair liberal but declared, “I’m not going to be armchair anymore.”

“I don’t want to live in a country where my friends aren’t included, and my friends are fearful, and my children are going to grow up in a world that’s frightening, and my granddaughters can look forward to being excluded from jobs and politics and fulfilling their potential, so I’m here for them,” she said.

Evening marches disrupted traffic in Miami and Atlanta.
What might President-elect Trump's Cabinet look like?
Play Video
What might President-elect Trump's Cabinet look like?

Trump supporter Nicolas Quirico was traveling from South Beach to Miami. His car was among hundreds stopped when protesters blocked Interstate 395.

“Trump will be our president. There is no way around that, and the sooner people grasp that, the better off we will be,” he said. “There is a difference between a peaceful protest and standing in a major highway backing up traffic for 5 miles. This is wrong.”

More than a thousand protesters took to the streets across California after night fell including downtown Los Angeles, where over 200 were arrested a night earlier. In Bakersfield, where Trump is far more popular than in most of the state, some held signs reading “Anti-Trump, Pro-USA.”
Potential impact of President-elect Trump's economic plans
Play Video
Potential impact of President-elect Trump's economic plans

Small protests also were held in Detroit; Minneapolis; Kansas City, Missouri; Olympia, Washington and Iowa City.

More than 200 people carrying signs gathered on the steps of the Washington state Capitol. The group chanted “not my president” and “no Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA.”

In Tennessee, Vanderbilt University students sang civil rights songs and marched through campus across a Nashville street, temporarily blocking traffic. A protest also occurred in Minneapolis.

In Chicago, multiple groups planned protests through Saturday.

Nadia Gavino, 25, learned about the rallies on Twitter and protested Thursday evening. Gavino, whose father is from Peru and whose mother is of Mexican and Lithuanian heritage, said she took Trump’s harshest statements about immigrants and Latinos personally.

“I obviously agree that he’s racist, he’s sexist, he’s phobic, he’s misogynistic. He’s all these things you don’t want in a leader,” she said.

Ashley Lynne Nagel, 27, said she joined a Thursday night demonstration in Denver.

“I have a leader I fear for the first time in my life,” said Nagel, a Bernie Sanders supporter who voted for Hillary Clinton.

“It’s not that we’re sore losers,” she said. “It’s that we are genuinely upset, angry, terrified that a platform based off of racism, xenophobia and homophobia has become so powerful and now has complete control of our representation.”

Demonstrations also were planned Saturday in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and other areas.

Previous demonstrations drew thousands of people in New York and other large urban centers. The largely peaceful demonstrations were overshadowed by sporadic episodes of vandalism, violence and street-blocking.

YellowFever
12 Nov 16,, 16:35
My biggest source of entertainment in the last few days.

A bunch of dumbasses in urban centers that probably didn't bother to get off their asses to vote for Clinton..
..disrupting the lives of people that probably mostly voted for her.

(Chalking up on more reason why voting for Trump was the right thing to do)

troung
12 Nov 16,, 16:50
I am waiting for them to expand the revolution and enrich the Red States...

YellowFever
12 Nov 16,, 17:00
Red states?

Probably. But I bet you it's going to be those blue dots within the red states.

Most Likely These idiots, Thinking they will have accomplished something great, slap themselves on the back and go back into their worthless facebook/twitter lives.

texasjohn
12 Nov 16,, 21:25
Red states?

Most Likely These idiots, Thinking they will have accomplished something great, slap themselves on the back and go back into their worthless facebook/twitter lives.

Agree completely. The destruction to property is however a law and order situation that needs to be stopped.

Oh, and did I mention the 100 some odd protesters in Dallas were led by the same BLM dude!! LOL

Mihais
12 Nov 16,, 22:02
Red states?

Read the Texan,mate.

I'd say is silly plan to derail the next administration.If Trump makes good of his word,a few top Dems and their pals are going to face investigations.

Of course,the idiots in the street are mere fools who use any pretext to burn and loot,but it's a bit more than that.

Some time,soon,they'll try to mess with the wrong chaps,who'll drill them 2 new holes.

InExile
12 Nov 16,, 22:40
Pffft, I didn't think it was possible that the left would make themselves look worse than Trump and his supporters.

These protests are stupid, the incompetency of Trump is a great opportunity for the Democrats to reverse all their electoral losses in the coming years, but not if they make themselves appear worse in the eyes of regular Americans.

YellowFever
12 Nov 16,, 23:50
Pffft, I didn't think it was possible that the left would make themselves look worse than Trump and his supporters.

These protests are stupid, the incompetency of Trump is a great opportunity for the Democrats to reverse all their electoral losses in the coming years, but not if they make themselves appear worse in the eyes of regular Americans.

These idiots are not engaged in "largely peaceful with spots of violence" protests as reported by the main stream media.

They are burning American flags and beating people up who are Trump supporters.

I have no doubt that this is not the norm for the Democratic Party and is indeed a tiny fringe group of the wing.

But hey, Most Democrats look at the KKK and their ilk and hang that whole mantra on Republicans.....

So I might as well hang this whole thing on the Democrats. :)

So Democrats, stop arguing with me or I will call you a flag burning, violence causing lefty idiots who has no jobs.

texasjohn
13 Nov 16,, 00:15
The flag burning part really pisses me off. Especially when the protesters are waving Mexican flags while protesting the US election!!

Yesterday was veterans day. Please tell me you flew the flag at your house. We owe those folks a lot.

Red Team
13 Nov 16,, 01:16
When a significant portion of your presidential campaign consists of rhetoric that unapologetically flirts with bigotry, xenophobia, and so-called "political incorrectness", there should be no surprise when people who take exception decide to take to the streets against your candidacy. On the other hand, as a protestor, you lose the moral ground when your rallies devolve into looting and rioting. Fortunately, at least in my neck of the woods (NY), the protests have been intense but largely peaceful.

This is the side of our politics that I can't stand. We as voters are conditioned by our political leaders and our media to see each other as the worst our country has to offer.... racists, welfare queens, misogynists, SJWs, gangbangers, opportunists.... and with every following day on social media and in the streets, I see countless friendships torn apart just because the other person filled out the wrong bubble on the ballot. Debate and civil discourse has taken a backseat to bandwagoning and ad hominem mudslinging. While none of this is particularly new, this election has taken the paradigm into new extremes.

The coming years are going to be filled with countless challenges, both foreign and domestic. But how can we begin to tackle them if we as a country can't even acknowledge that we're all on the same side?

citanon
13 Nov 16,, 01:28
Not directly related but pretty funny:

tbm3fan
13 Nov 16,, 01:56
When a significant portion of your presidential campaign consists of rhetoric that unapologetically flirts with bigotry, xenophobia, and so-called "political incorrectness", there should be no surprise when people who take exception decide to take to the streets against your candidacy. On the other hand, as a protestor, you lose the moral ground when your rallies devolve into looting and rioting. Fortunately, at least in my neck of the woods (NY), the protests have been intense but largely peaceful.

This is the side of our politics that I can't stand. We as voters are conditioned by our political leaders and our media to see each other as the worst our country has to offer.... racists, welfare queens, misogynists, SJWs, gangbangers, opportunists.... and with every following day on social media and in the streets, I see countless friendships torn apart just because the other person filled out the wrong bubble on the ballot. Debate and civil discourse has taken a backseat to bandwagoning and ad hominem mudslinging. While none of this is particularly new, this election has taken the paradigm into new extremes.

The coming years are going to be filled with countless challenges, both foreign and domestic. But how can we begin to tackle them if we as a country can't even acknowledge that we're all on the same side?

Like ^^^

I will say one thing and that is when was the last time anyone saw protests against a President elect, in the streets, days after the election, and across the country?

surfgun
13 Nov 16,, 02:49
These idiots "protest" under the cover of the darkness of night wearing dark clothing, some cover their faces, carry signs covered in obscenities, flags from South of the border, desecrate the American flag and sometimes exhibit destructive and violent behavior.
In contrast when republicans protest, they get the proper permits and protest from 11:00 AM wrap things up around 4:00 PM and hump out their garbage.
It is a huge contrast in moral character!

ambidex
13 Nov 16,, 02:55
Sore Losers.

https://twitter.com/JadenBell_/status/797232448958582785

Red Team
13 Nov 16,, 03:21
In contrast when republicans protest, they get the proper permits and protest from 11:00 AM wrap things up around 4:00 PM and hump out their garbage.
It is a huge contrast in moral character!

This sounds exactly like the protest in Union Square that went on today, except those weren't Republicans protesting. There's terrible people on both sides of the political spectrum, let's not pretend either party has a monopoly on that.

YellowFever
13 Nov 16,, 03:40
This sounds exactly like the protest in Union Square that went on today, except those weren't Republicans protesting. There's terrible people on both sides of the political spectrum, let's not pretend either party has a monopoly on that.

<SARCASM>

Yeah, I remember the Republican kids acting just as stupid when Obama won

</SARCASM>

Dude, don't try to blame this on both sides. Just because the "protest" went smoothly in Union Square, it doesn't mean everything was hunky dory across the country

https://youtu.be/nuUcDIxH_lI

surfgun
13 Nov 16,, 03:43

Please show us the photos of the streets after these lefties were done.

bonehead
13 Nov 16,, 04:57
Please show us the photos of the streets after these lefties were done.

Photo? I will do you one better. look up "YouTube KGW news footage from Nov 11 2016 riot."

To be fair, some of these are the same anarchists that riot at the drop of a hat. They don't need a reason as they do this often.

I had the displeasure of working in Portland downtown area the last week. Pay for parking, stupid traffic, and lines wherever you go. Just a short list as to why I prefere to work anywhere else. I, and many others on the job site had to leave early on Friday because of the possibility of a repeat performance. It was supposed to be for "our safety" However there were other things involved. "Trash my work truck.... and/or turn my 1.5 hour commute to 4 and a construction worker is not happy. Trash my personal car and there will be blood on the streets" was the overall sentiment on the jobsite.

bonehead
13 Nov 16,, 05:33
Oh and BTW, the end of the footage, about the 14 min mark, is 1/2 a block from my current jobsite.

Doktor
13 Nov 16,, 18:33
Again, why they protest?

bonehead
13 Nov 16,, 19:14
They protest because they lost the election. All their friends, the media and liberal rhetoric stated that Hillary was going to win by a landslide. These people have seen huge gains under Obama and are not used to losing. Many didnt even bother to vote and many in this crowd never bothered to understand the electorial college so they are wallowing in total apathy and ignorance yet still feel entitled to get their way. They lost the vote so now are trying to bully the rest of the nation into giving in. That is not going to happen so they play the bully card, ie they protest and in some cases they riot.

tbm3fan
14 Nov 16,, 05:59
Again, why they protest?

Nah, not the post above. You, of all, should grasp this given the history of your region. After all the insults were thrown around at everybody by both sides raising the emotion and passion to a fever pitch do you think that just turns itself off and stops. Not a chance it just continues to fester. How long is the question.

YellowFever
14 Nov 16,, 06:40
Again, why they protest?

Because most of them have I.Q.'s lower than their age.

https://youtu.be/8PKhGjpJam8

Forget all the idiots in the first half of the video.

They're extra special

Watch the 7:10 mark.

He's supposed to be one of the smart protestor. :roll eye:

Doktor
14 Nov 16,, 08:52
Nah, not the post above. You, of all, should grasp this given the history of your region. After all the insults were thrown around at everybody by both sides raising the emotion and passion to a fever pitch do you think that just turns itself off and stops. Not a chance it just continues to fester. How long is the question.

But he ain't in yet. We have elections here on Dec. 11th and the US ambassador here was full of "everyone should recognize the results" until 9th. He is AWOL now. Guess it is not so good to be in his shoes these days.

P.S. Those Mexican flags really speek volumes. I thought you guys will never reach Balkan level of democracy

tankie
14 Nov 16,, 10:48
Anyone heard from these 2 lately , just curious . :confu: yes yella at 7.10 , the guys a real cool cookie huh .

bfng3569
14 Nov 16,, 20:27

yes it does.

had Hillary won, you would not being seeing this.

and the post above that you disregard is correct.

this is no different than the tons of videos from college campus across the country before the election protesting white people because of there 'whiteness' and the all out assault on any type of Trump support, rally, or what have you.

they were doing this before HRC lost, just not on such a large or 'in your face' scale.

TopHatter
14 Nov 16,, 22:48
yes it does.

had Hillary won, you not being seeing this.

Gotta say this, after Obama was elected (twice)...there wasn't any "protests" and there certainly wasn't any rioting.

Doktor
15 Nov 16,, 00:27
Gotta say this, after Obama was elected (twice)...there wasn't any "protests" and there certainly wasn't any rioting.

Yep, and therefor , GWB together with the GOP never had to calm down the tensions, so they didn't.

tbm3fan
15 Nov 16,, 02:26
yes it does.

had Hillary won, you would not being seeing this.

and the post above that you disregard is correct.

this is no different than the tons of videos from college campus across the country before the election protesting white people because of there 'whiteness' and the all out assault on any type of Trump support, rally, or what have you.

they were doing this before HRC lost, just not on such a large or 'in your face' scale.

Now you got me, a white person, protesting your "whiteness"...

astralis
15 Nov 16,, 03:13
joe,

Obama certainly didn't lose the popular vote, either.

i think the protests are worthless, with the subsection of rioters just looking for any excuse to be scumbags, but i -understand- the protests.

we just had a good demonstration of how roughly 100,000 or so strategically placed swing votes just outweighed several million urban votes.

moreover, this isn't Romney or Bob Dole we're talking about here. as you well know, the person they're protesting is a demagogue whom spent the last year saying all sorts of outrageous things and started his foray into politics by being Birther-in-Chief. he unleashed a lot of ugly divisive rhetoric in his bid to power, and that sort of thing is not lightly forgotten or forgiven.

TopHatter
15 Nov 16,, 03:30
joe,
Obama certainly didn't lose the popular vote, either
Likely that Trump did lose the popular vote, though still looking for the final numbers. Still...nobody protested when when Bush won in 2000 (Yeah I know, Bush isn't Trump...even though we were assured that Bush was Hitler)

i think the protests are worthless, with the subsection of rioters just looking for any excuse to be scumbags, but i -understand- the protests.
Sorry, no. Plenty of violence against Trump supporters before the election. Plenty of videos on YouTube, including one where a frightened TV reporter screams at some Trump supporters to run before they're beaten by a mob.

we just had a good demonstration of how roughly 100,000 or so strategically placed swing votes just outweighed several million urban votes.
We also just had a good demonstration of how ruinous complacency can be too.

moreover, this isn't Romney or Bob Dole we're talking about here. as you well know, the person they're protesting is a demagogue whom spent the last year saying all sorts of outrageous things and started his foray into politics by being Birther-in-Chief. he unleashed a lot of ugly divisive rhetoric in his bid to power, and that sort of thing is not lightly forgotten or forgiven.
Believe me, I'm not defending Donald Trump. And you know how I feel about conspiracy theorists of all stripes.

surfgun
15 Nov 16,, 03:30
That is the same Bob Dole and Mitt Romney that the left talked all kinds of S--t about. Now the left and their media are getting a helping of what the have been dishing for the past decades.

bfng3569
15 Nov 16,, 03:51
Now you got me, a white person, protesting your "whiteness"...

I didn't say a white person protesting 'whitness' I beleive I said college kids meaning all races.

https://youtu.be/3R6dzZdceT4

Fast forward to 2:45.

astralis
15 Nov 16,, 03:53
joe,

Still...nobody protested when when Bush won in 2000 (Yeah I know, Bush isn't Trump...even though we were assured that Bush was Hitler)

there were protests, just not on this scale, it's true.

polarization wasn't as bad then either...and Bush Jr on his worse day was a damn sight better than Donald Trump on his best.

Sorry, no. Plenty of violence against Trump supporters before the election. Plenty of videos on YouTube, including one where a frightened TV reporter screams at some Trump supporters to run before they're beaten by a mob.

and there's been plenty of violence BY Trump supporters as well. but what i'm saying is that i understand the protesters; it's an outpouring of emotion and anger. it's certainly channeled ineffectively but OTOH their votes were channeled rather ineffectively too.

understanding is NOT condoning in any case.

bottom-line, if Trump had been an honorable opponent vice a human wrecking-ball, you wouldn't have seen this reaction. on the other hand, there's a good case to be made that if he hadn't been a human wrecking-ball, he wouldn't have won, either. (and that's how he answered it when an interviewer from the Wall Street Journal asked him that; 'do you think you went too far during the election?' 'no, i WON.')

he was middle America's middle finger to the establishment, to the coast/urban voters, etc etc. well...is it any surprise that there are some people whom will flip the middle finger right back?

troung
16 Nov 16,, 00:23
he was middle America's middle finger to the establishment, to the coast/urban voters, etc etc. well...is it any surprise that there are some people whom will flip the middle finger right back?

And burn and riot in cities on the coast...

More Than Half of the Anti-Trump Rioters Arrested Didn't Vote
2016-11-15T02:21:45
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/11/15/more-than-half-of-the-anti-trump-rioters-arrested-didnt-vote/

More than half of the protestors arrested in Portland, Oregon, last weekend did not vote in the state.

According to 13 News Now, 69 of the rioters did not vote or are not registered to vote in the state.

KGW compiled a list of the 112 people arrested by the Portland Police Bureau during recent protests. Those names and ages, provided by police, were then compared to state voter logs by Multnomah County Elections officials.

Records show 34 of the protesters arrested didn’t return a ballot for the November 8 election. Thirty-five of the demonstrators taken into custody weren’t registered to vote in Oregon.

Twenty-five protesters who were arrested did vote.

KGW is still working to verify voting records for the remaining 17 protesters who were arrested.

Nationwide riots or "protests" have dominated the headlines while violence against Trump supporters has gotten barely a mention. Some of the more inflammatory elements of the rallies have also been downplayed.

One report shows empty buses used to transport "participants" to a weekend protest in Chicago. Another shows that ads were placed on Craigslist looking to hire people to show up at the election protests. Recently reports surfaced that the protestors were paid to disrupt Trump rallies during the campaign. Is it really a surprise that the protestors in Portland are not really aggrieved voters?

YellowFever
16 Nov 16,, 01:13
And to think I thought travel agents would be making fortunes on all these liberals moving to Canada.

No, it's the bus companies making fortunes bussing in all these "spontaneous" protestors....

tbm3fan
16 Nov 16,, 07:03
And burn and riot in cities on the coast...

Probably not going to end soon with the guy who backs white nationalism and supremacy now the new Minister for Propaganda. Joseph Bannon or Steven Bannon? Ah, all the same.

DOR
16 Nov 16,, 12:03
If this is the kind of inspiration President Trump will generate, I’ll take that of Mr Obama any day.

University of Oklahoma student suspended after racist social media sent to black UPenn freshmen

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/11/12/university-of-oklahoma-student-suspended-after-racist-social-media-sent-to-black-upenn-freshmen/

A student at the University of Oklahoma has been temporarily suspended as the school investigates racist messaging — which included images of people hanging from trees, racial slurs and a “daily lynching” calendar — sent to several black freshmen at the University of Pennsylvania on Friday.

bfng3569
16 Nov 16,, 15:15
If this is the kind of inspiration President Trump will generate, I’ll take that of Mr Obama any day.

University of Oklahoma student suspended after racist social media sent to black UPenn freshmen

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/11/12/university-of-oklahoma-student-suspended-after-racist-social-media-sent-to-black-upenn-freshmen/

A student at the University of Oklahoma has been temporarily suspended as the school investigates racist messaging — which included images of people hanging from trees, racial slurs and a “daily lynching” calendar — sent to several black freshmen at the University of Pennsylvania on Friday.

the kind of inspirations from Obama were you have groups of Trump protestors beating up old men?

Or rioting in the streets?

your argument cuts both ways and doesn't do anyone any good.

tankie
16 Nov 16,, 15:27
Jeez , the future is bright ,,,,,,,,,well then mr intelligence if trump aint your fu##ing pres , which one are you fu####g .

tankie
16 Nov 16,, 15:50
Hahaahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXpi3F0E5ro

SteveDaPirate
16 Nov 16,, 16:56
I think a big part of why we are seeing increasingly acrimonious elections and so much unrest afterwards is the increasingly "tailored" news feeds on social media. The Guardian conducted an interesting experiment with getting a group of US voters to swap news feeds with their ideological opposites during the tail end of the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/16/facebook-bias-bubble-us-election-conservative-liberal-news-feed

It appears some people were even more polarized by the experiment while others changed their ideas based on the new flavor of information.

Triple C
29 Nov 16,, 15:08
I think a big part of why we are seeing increasingly acrimonious elections and so much unrest afterwards is the increasingly "tailored" news feeds on social media.

I am skeptical of that line of reasoning. The opposite argument that polarization is the cause of social media's tailored feeds is equally supported by evidence. I do not think the bipolar divide on the issues are random or arbitrary.

bfng3569
29 Nov 16,, 15:41
I am skeptical of that line of reasoning. The opposite argument that polarization is the cause of social media's tailored feeds is equally supported by evidence. I do not think the bipolar divide on the issues are random or arbitrary.

I am not.

modern media is nothing more than propaganda at this point.