PDA

View Full Version : Why MacArthur was fired: Declassified Congressional testimony

SteveDaPirate
05 Oct 16,, 18:10
A very interesting article about why MacArthur was canned, and the American military situation in Korea.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/redacted-testimony-fully-explains-why-general-macarthur-was-fired-180960622/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&no-ist

Albany Rifles
05 Oct 16,, 19:36
On a discussion group on Facebook Shek has been talking extensively on this. It's intriguing to follow te discussion amongst professional strategists.

Double Edge
06 Oct 16,, 01:17
mack was canned because he was straight talker that gave two shits what people thought of him.

Has to be among the most consequential people whose actions setup the world half a century later.

TopHatter
06 Oct 16,, 17:28
mack was canned because he was straight talker that gave two shits what people thought of him.

MacArthur cared very very much what people thought of him and especially what they read about him. Criticism of MacArthur would bring him down on you like the wrath of an angry god.

Double Edge
06 Oct 16,, 19:14
MacArthur cared very very much what people thought of him and especially what they read about him. Criticism of MacArthur would bring him down on you like the wrath of an angry god.
That's not what i heard here. Though that might have had to do more with his run for president which was unsuccessful. Couldn't pull off an Ike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udPpvxkFfT0

Does not matter, the man's place in history is pretty much guaranteed. So he couldn't finish Korea off but i'd be damned if you could find a better man for the job.

DOR
07 Oct 16,, 11:52
MacArthur publically complained about his Commander-in-Chief. He publically advocated a strategy that was contrary to the one being pursued by his C-in-C. Seems to me that's sufficient grounds to fire him.

Now we also know that he perjured himself before the Senate by claiming that the Joint Chiefs of Staff supported his position; and by claiming China was fighting “all out.”