PDA

View Full Version : Bastille Day Terrorist Attack in Nice.

Monash
15 Jul 16,, 02:43
First reports are coming in of a major incident in Nice with a truck apparently being deliberately driven at high speed through crowds watching a fireworks display on the waterfront. Indications at this stage are that more than 70 men women and children have been killed. Terrible news.

The question then becomes how does the West defend itself against this type of attack?

tbm3fan
15 Jul 16,, 02:45
Well, if I were Donald Trump, I'd know exactly what to do.

Very sad for the French on what is their Independence Day.

Oracle
15 Jul 16,, 04:57
OMG. My prayers for the dead and injured. The madness doesn't stop.

France terror attack: Truck hits Nice on Bastille Day, 80 killed (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/europe/France-terror-attack-Truck-hits-Nice-on-Bastille-Day-80-killed/articleshow/53219888.cms)

@Monash - This type of attacks are very difficult to stop.

Oracle
15 Jul 16,, 05:35
A Truck’s Path of Destruction in Nice, France (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/14/world/europe/nice-truck-bastille-attack.html)

In Nice, a Vibrant Celebration Gives Way to a Trail of Death (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/world/europe/nice-bastille-day.html?_r=0)

The bodies covered with blanket is a very sad view. Parents, wives, kids waiting for people to come home, cellphone's ringing but no one's picking up. Many lives lost, much more ruined forever. RIP.

YellowFever
15 Jul 16,, 06:05
Offer condolences, have a moment of silence for the dead, move on.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Month.
After month.

I'm sick of investing in any emotions of sadness and outrage when our fucking leaders aren't willing to do anything other than create sound bytes.

If Trump were president right now, he would do something stupid and destructive and idiotic.

Can you honestly say the status quo is any better?

Oracle
15 Jul 16,, 06:24
Nice attack: What we know and don't know (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/europe/Nice-attack-What-we-know-and-dont-know/articleshow/53219677.cms)

NICE: At least 80 people have been killed after a truck slammed into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.
French President Francois Hollande has declared it an "undeniable" terrorist attack.
Here is what we know about the attack so far:
1. The large white truck plunged into the crowd at around 11:00pm (2100 GMT) Thursday night as hundreds of people were on Nice's beachfront Promenade des Anglais to watch the fireworks for France's national day.
2. Christian Estrosi, head of the local region, said guns and "larger weapons" were found in the truck.
3. Hollande said at least 77 people including children were killed after the truck ploughed two kilometres (1.3 miles) through the crowd, who had just finished watching the firework show.
4. As rumours swirled online, interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet dismissed reports that people had been taken hostage.
5. The attacker has been shot dead, Hollande said.
6. He is yet to be named, but the identity papers of a 31-year-old French-Tunisian were found in the truck, according to a police source. The papers indicate the man is a Nice resident.
7. Prosecutors say the probe will be handled by anti-terrorism investigators. "Investigations are currently underway to establish if the individual acted alone or if he had accomplices who might have fled," Brandet said.
8. Hollande announced that the state of emergency would be extended by three months and army reservists called up to boost security. The attack comes with France under a state of emergency following the Islamic State attacks in Paris in November that left 130 people dead.
9. He also said France would strengthen its role in Iraq and Syria, where it is part of the international coalition fighting IS jihadists. He will chair a meeting of top military and security officials later Friday to decide on possible further steps.

What we don't know:
1 . Who committed the attacks, and why.
2 .The attack has not been claimed by any group.

Parihaka
15 Jul 16,, 07:18
Offer condolences, have a moment of silence for the dead, move on.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Month.
After month.

I'm sick of investing in any emotions of sadness and outrage when our fucking leaders aren't willing to do anything other than create sound bytes.

If Trump were president right now, he would do something stupid and destructive and idiotic.

Can you honestly say the status quo is any better?
I'm not so sure he'd do something stupid. Thus far he's wiped the floor with the Republican lite, the Democrat party and the left media. In this he's reserved his VP nomination pick while Hillary plays Pokemon go and she, the Democrat party and President Obama race bait. Thus far he looks positively presidential in comparison.

Big K
15 Jul 16,, 07:48

another child lies dead because of what?.. what? a damn politic game or a so-called religion or for what?

Children are dying because these...

ANYone from ANY country who can even think about killing children should be killed slowly & publicly.

if there is a God, he should really be doing something for this...

Squirrel
15 Jul 16,, 08:04
Another sad and tragically pointless loss of life.

While I am fully aware that conflict is a fact of life, and I have accepted it will not change, no matter who is in charge, or whatever action is taken, I am always deeply affected by events like these.

citanon
15 Jul 16,, 08:28
The use of a truck alone is hard to stop without careful forethought, but the presence of heavy weapons on the truck means this was an intelligence failure.

The French police needs to do better in the collection and timely processing of intelligence.

Mihais
15 Jul 16,, 08:48
There are millions of illegal weapons in France.The French police should become God before it can cease failing.Given the circumstances,they're doing an excellent job minimizing the attacks,but they can only postpone the inevitable.While legislation is increasingly in their favor and they get freer hands after any event,overall conditions get worse.

Western leaders decided to create Yugoslavia on greater scale.It will end the same,on greater scale.

S2
15 Jul 16,, 09:13
CNN is saying one real handgun and a number of bogus rifles and an inert grenade(s). Suspect was evidently previously monitored for criminal weapons violations but not terror-related.

Dunno but any Tunisian suspected of criminal weapons violations in France gets my attention as a possible terror threat. Still, easy after-the-fact to woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Mihais
15 Jul 16,, 09:38
Is one among tens,possibly hundreds ,of thousands of guys with the same profile.

Mohan
15 Jul 16,, 10:06
No words to describe the pain and loss of innocent lives. Rest in peace. A mindless act which boils my blood :mad:

kato
15 Jul 16,, 10:19
Dunno but any Tunisian suspected of criminal weapons violations in France gets my attention as a possible terror threat.
... the guy was just another small-time criminal like literally hundreds of thousands in France - just one that had been caught by police carrying a pistol in the past. It's a very, very broad field, but as has been shown in past attacks over several years now it's the one that islamist radicals primarily find people to recruit in here and there.

As for Tunisians in France (at almost 700,000 people): they make up roughly the same percentage share as Chinese Americans in the USA.

barangai
15 Jul 16,, 10:25
Rest in Peace :(

Big K
15 Jul 16,, 12:46
the weird thing is that they found some heavy weaponry in that truck... this i heard from the news

could it be that he couldnt find time to setup those weapons in time and rushed in with a truck?

Monash
15 Jul 16,, 13:19
the weird thing is that they found some heavy weaponry in that truck... this i heard from the news

could it be that he couldnt find time to setup those weapons in time and rushed in with a truck?

It will be 72 hours or so before speculation gives way to more factual reporting. In the interim some sources are reporting that 'fake' weapons were found in the truck and some are reporting that they were 'real'. All we can say at this time is that so far there appears to be no evidence of other assailants being involved. That being the case (and to the extent it matters) it makes no sense for the individual concerned to have had more weapons in the vehicle than he could have reasonably expected to use himself - if that is he was acting as part of a network. Why waste the armaments? Unfortunately the nature of the attack also lends itself to a 'lone wolf' scenario, so it will not be obvious for a while if others were involved.

At this point everything is speculation until such time as the French authorities have gone through his recent background in forensic detail, a process which is underway.

Officer of Engineers
15 Jul 16,, 15:47
God Bless.

The question then becomes how does the West defend itself against this type of attack?The West can't do it. Send in the East.

SteveDaPirate
15 Jul 16,, 16:56
God Bless.

The West can't do it. Send in the East.

The East has their own troubles. Chechnya, Xinjiang, Tibet, etc

Unfortunately, attacks with common objects or equipment can only be discouraged with security measures. There are just too many potential soft targets for someone determined to do damage to prevent them entirely.

Changes in what is socially acceptable among different cultural groups is the best way to reduce these sorts of incidents in my opinion. As long as desperate men believe they can find notoriety and perhaps salvation rather than condemnation from the people they care about when performing these kind of acts, I think they will continue.

Officer of Engineers
15 Jul 16,, 16:59
The East has their own troubles. Chechnya, Xinjiang, Tibet, etcLet me rephrase. Send in Genghis and/or Tammerlane.

Doktor
15 Jul 16,, 17:45
Getting numb from such news. This is worrisome.

God bless the victims.

citanon
15 Jul 16,, 18:20
CNN is saying one real handgun and a number of bogus rifles and an inert grenade(s). Suspect was evidently previously monitored for criminal weapons violations but not terror-related.

Dunno but any Tunisian suspected of criminal weapons violations in France gets my attention as a possible terror threat. Still, easy after-the-fact to woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Damn, early reports prove exaggerated again. I had seen from several sites and the article posted earlier that there were "heavy weapons" rifles and explosives on the truck. If that were the case the terrorist would have to have considerable logistic support and prior planning, which meant he was possibly catchable.

If he's just another criminal asshole with a hand gun, he's probably one of thousands.

Big K
15 Jul 16,, 18:57
how to survive in the west...

http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/misc/863.pdf

Big K
15 Jul 16,, 19:07
today is not the day to comment on these...

but today pkk sh.t-heads attacked to a gendarmerie station (similar to one that i served in) with a bomb loaded truck... the fire fight still going on, we dont know the casualities

but if we dont stop this "one's terrorist is another's freedom fighter" sh.t...

world leaders should stop acting like idiots with guns/armies in hand

stupidity is reigning all over the world and the price is being paid by the innocents.

kato
15 Jul 16,, 19:25
If he's just another criminal asshole with a hand gun, he's probably one of thousands.
The past conviction apparently wasn't even over a gun - it was a fistfight after a car crash in which he beat his opponent with a slat from a wood pallet and was hence convicted for using a weapon in a minor case (he got six months on probation).

In french media he's described as a loner who worked as a deliveryman driving small trucks, who never went to mosque, was known to get drunk and possibly smoke marihuana, had an ex-wife living separately with their children, and who was considered mostly unfriendly and rude by his neighbors. He had a couple convictions for threatening other people or beating them over the past six years, possibly including his then wife.

Doktor
15 Jul 16,, 19:28
Not a good moment to be devil's advocate, but how would banning guns prevent this?

kato
15 Jul 16,, 19:31
today is not the day to comment on these...
The US-British-French movie "Bastille Day", running in theaters in France since wednesday, is not getting pulled but publisher has left it open to theaters to remove advertising posters.

Officer of Engineers
15 Jul 16,, 20:03
today is not the day to comment on these... God Bless.

I'm just numb by all of this.

YellowFever
15 Jul 16,, 20:13
Not a good moment to be devil's advocate, but how would banning guns prevent this?

It is not the guns...it is the truck.

Parihaka
15 Jul 16,, 21:03
Later, I saw a convoy of minivans (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/437906/scene-nice) from the Nice coroner’s office arrive. The local paper reports that the terrorist was “of Tunisian origin,” which surprises no one, of course. But since he was killed by police, President Obama may never know his real motive.
that has to hurt

Big K
15 Jul 16,, 21:08
something going on in Turkey!...

tanks are on the street in Istanbul, nobody knows what happens. but the rumour has its a coup d'etat or at least a try

Parihaka
15 Jul 16,, 21:17
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692454/Who-mystery-man-pinned-floor-police-killer-truck-Officers-seen-dragging-suspect-away-lorry-killed-84-people-Nice-terror-attack.html#v-9069633905685609587Takedown of killer and probable accomplice

Oracle
16 Jul 16,, 05:18
Some Indian Muslims too have joined ISIS, and some missing. Nimisha became 'Fathima' and disappeared. (http://www.rediff.com/news/special/nimisha-became-fathima-and-disappeared/20160714.htm) We are in for a bad time. The high population density in cities will increase the kill ratio, if such attacks take place.

sabathiel
17 Jul 16,, 14:52
First reports are coming in of a major incident in Nice with a truck apparently being deliberately driven at high speed through crowds watching a fireworks display on the waterfront. Indications at this stage are that more than 70 men women and children have been killed. Terrible news.

The question then becomes how does the West defend itself against this type of attack?

To quote Bono: "we don't have to become a monster to defeat a monster".

Officer of Engineers
17 Jul 16,, 16:11
Bono never faced a monster.

Doktor
17 Jul 16,, 16:57

Well worded.

Today, FP was asking "How to be intolerant with intolerants, while cherishing tolerance". Something among those lines.

Mihais
17 Jul 16,, 17:43
FP seems unable to discern between right and wrong,danger and safety.

Parihaka
17 Jul 16,, 20:26
Hah!

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 11:46

No...not in a literal sense unless we include some of the monsters prevalent in today's musical industry. Plenty of 'em!

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 11:49
I've faced such monsters so don't quote a freaking musician to me.

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 11:52
I've faced such monsters so don't quote a freaking musician to me.

He is more than just a musician. He is a political activist. Duh!

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 11:53
Yes, a political activist living in a 4 star hotel knows more than UNPROFOR about monsters.

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 11:56
Yes, a political activist living in a 4 star hotel knows more than UNPROFOR about monsters.

Where he sleeps is totally irrelevant to what he says and does. You should know that? Plus these days 4 star hotels are lame......they have 6 star hotels. I bet the head of Amnesty International sleeps in a better hotel than 4 stars.

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 11:58
Where he sleeps is totally irrelevant to what he says and does.I've slept in the mud in between two sets of monsters bent on killing each other.

You should know that? Plus these days 4 star hotels are lame......they have 6 star hotels. I bet the head of Amnesty International sleeps in a better hotel than 4 stars.Says he knows shit all about monsters.

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 12:01
I've slept in the mud in between two sets of monsters bent on killing each other.

Says he knows shit all about monsters.

Says he knows shit about who is saying shit about monsters.

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 12:02
I was UNPROFOR. Goodbye troll.

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 12:05
I was UNPROFOR. Goodbye troll.

And I am Sheena Queen of the Jungle of Love. Means jack what you say here when the expectation is to take it at face value. You have no clue where I've been.

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 12:06
I don't know and I don't care. You don't belong here.

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 12:08
I don't know and I don't care. You don't belong here.

Neither do I care who you are or what you do.

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 12:08
You came here. We didn't invite you. And you will be gone.

sabathiel
18 Jul 16,, 12:10
You came here. We didn't invite you. And you will be gone.

There is no rule anyone has to be invited.

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 12:11
All right, people. Chew toy before the mods throws it out.

Doktor
18 Jul 16,, 12:20
All right, people. Chew toy before the mods throws it out.

*grabs popcorn*

Oracle
18 Jul 16,, 12:29
There is no rule anyone has to be invited.

Mate, click here (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=61571&page=126)and introduce yourself. Tell us what you do, your likes, post a picture of yourself with your girlfriend and tell us a story.

Doktor
18 Jul 16,, 13:08
Mate, click here (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=61571&page=126)and introduce yourself. Tell us what you do, your likes, post a picture of yourself with your girlfriend and tell us a story.
Must have missed your intro mate

Oracle
18 Jul 16,, 13:37
I hope not Dok. Very anxious to see Sheena, Queen of the Jungle of Love.

Officer of Engineers
18 Jul 16,, 15:20
You really want to see a 50 year old overweight groupie?

Doktor
18 Jul 16,, 17:55

Touche

tbm3fan
18 Jul 16,, 18:10

Damn, another bubble burst...

Ok, where's the next bubble?

Oracle
18 Jul 16,, 19:02

Sir, I'm 37+. A man MILF. What difference would it make for a free peep-show? Oh God, just yesterday I was 22, and virile and strong and didn't give a damn to nobody.

Are the horses for sale yet?

YellowFever
18 Jul 16,, 19:09
Man MILF??????

Bud, explain that again?

Oracle
18 Jul 16,, 19:14
Man MILF??????

Bud, explain that again?

But, I know. Life can be cruel. Crossed that age and still looking for answers? Well for you then -

YellowFever
18 Jul 16,, 19:21
Did anybody tell you that you look like a Hindu Celine Dion?

Parihaka
18 Jul 16,, 19:23
Shuss, you'll get the colonel excited

Oracle
18 Jul 16,, 19:31
Okay, first of all this is a mourning thread. Secondly, I don't want to be bear food. Thirdly, this is the Colonel himself when in Djibouti many moons back. The heels are from Whitechapel, and the comfort dress is self made. If I live till tomorrow, you'll know.

YellowFever
18 Jul 16,, 20:03
I would just like to point out that before the Colonel comes in here with a hockey stick that it was Oracle that stirred and awakened that long lost desire in the Colonel's loins.

Oracle
19 Jul 16,, 03:28
Bah! You guys ambushed me.

Is there anything in the Bible or the New Testaments that says - in future men would kill men, men would have no code, people will be corrupt etc. Kind of doomsday predictions?

YellowFever
19 Jul 16,, 04:16
Is there anything in the Bible or the New Testaments that says - in future men would kill men, men would have no code, people will be corrupt etc. Kind of doomsday predictions?

Book of Yu, Chapter 3, verse 18

Oracle
19 Jul 16,, 04:31
What I meant is, is there a God or an alien race that is responsible for much of the issues we have today? Terrorism, floods, earthquakes, droughts. I know that apart from terrorism everything has a scientific explanation, but is it say, nature's way to cleanse Earth of all unwanted things? Do I sound like a conspiracy theorist? And, there is no book of Yu.