PDA

View Full Version : In memoriam: (desertswo) Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.)

JRT
15 Feb 16,, 17:29
In memorium (desertswo (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/member.php?u=20949)):

Captain Michael M. ("Mike") Eagen, USN (Ret.) May 28, 1956 - November 10, 2015 Phoenix/San Diego

Captain Michael M. Eagen, USN (Ret.), a San Diego native, died suddenly November 10, 2015.

While attending St. Augustine High School 42 years ago, he met his wife, Eva Lopez. Mike went on to receive a BA and 2 MA's. He was a naval officer for 25 years and retired as a highly decorated Navy captain.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Joseph and Marie, and is survived by his loving wife Eva and their beloved children Meghan, Caitlin, and Joseph; his sisters Joann Pirafalo, Agnes Laband and Judy Helfand; nieces and nephews.

A funeral Mass was held at St. Augustine High School's chapel on December 5, 2015.

Published in The San Diego Union Tribune on Dec. 13, 2015 (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/obituary.aspx?pid=176873394)

JRT
15 Feb 16,, 17:30
Mike,

Your knowledge and experience had depth and breadth. Your willingness to share that to teach others was generous. Your criticisms were constructive or corrective as appropriate, and were always well placed. Your presence was large, and your participation was appreciated. You will be missed.

Rest in peace.

JRT

tankie
15 Feb 16,, 17:45
RIP Mike . Your insight n posts will be missed

Officer of Engineers
15 Feb 16,, 17:58
God Bless, Sir.

Present Arms.

I will miss you.

Damned!

SteveDaPirate
15 Feb 16,, 18:20
Damn,

Rest in peace Captain.

Parihaka
15 Feb 16,, 19:11
That is way, way too young. His life and work were so far removed from mine I don't think we ever talked except once, when I posted a mashup of Snoop Dog and what turned out to be his favourite band, Crowded House. He was outraged in a very polite way :-)
That doesn't mean I didn't read him. There's no single post or comment I can point to, just a body of posts that told me he had been a damn fine leader in just the way he was a fine member here.
I will miss this man, a tree has fallen and my condolences to his family.

Iain.

DonBelt
15 Feb 16,, 19:35
Fair winds and following seas Captain. I learned a lot about what I thought I knew about my time in the Navy from him. DesertSWO was able to fill in the mysterious reasons behind the curtain for why things were done the way they were and make it understandable. Thank you Capt. Eagen

DarthSiddius
15 Feb 16,, 19:39
Rip

Officer of Engineers
15 Feb 16,, 19:46
I never knew anyone else who can pack so much information and so much dedication in so few words. It was obvious that he enjoys teaching and that joy comes through like a firehose. There was always something to be learned from his posts. If not the technical aspects, the sheer thrill of avoiding doing something wrong comes through.

YellowFever
15 Feb 16,, 20:31
God bless you, Captain , and rest in peace.

Bigfella
15 Feb 16,, 21:03
I never knew anyone else who can pack so much information and so much dedication in so few words. It was obvious that he enjoys teaching and that joy comes through like a firehose. There was always something to be learned from his posts. If not the technical aspects, the sheer thrill of avoiding doing something wrong comes through.

I would have said this if I'd been articulate enough to manage it. Beautifully said Sir. He was one of the most informative posters I have ever encountered. Lovely guy too. Gone WAY too soon. RIP Captain Mike. Thoughts to your loved ones.

gunnut
15 Feb 16,, 21:13
OMG!!! I have no words to express my sorrow. I exchanged IMs with Mike regarding ship's propulsion. He was a treasure trove of knowledge and never hesitated to share his experience.

My deepest condolences to his family.

WAB now has a void which cannot be filled.

Doktor
15 Feb 16,, 22:57
Cheerful, full of joy and will to teach with respect. This is how Mike will live in my memory. Terrible loss.

Rest in peace fine gentleman.

Stitch
15 Feb 16,, 23:31
Holy crap! It seems like just yesterday that the Captain joined our forum, and quickly established himself as an expert on nautical propulsion systems. He was a constant fount of humor and information, in equal quantities.

He will be missed.

RIP, sir!

surfgun
15 Feb 16,, 23:57
Damn, I was hoping his vacancy from our forum just had something to do with the site being down for some time. His knowledge and forthwightfulness was of a generation past, that is missing for the most part in today's World. His contributions will truly be missed.
Fair winds and God speed, Captain. Hand Salute!

Gun Grape
16 Feb 16,, 01:27
I don't know of anyone that took more joy in sharing knowledge than the good Captain. And what a vast source of knowledge he was.

I'll miss him

Fair winds and following seas Sir

citanon
16 Feb 16,, 01:51
The good Captain was with us for far too briefly and yet he earned my genuine respect and admiration almost from the start. I was educated by the knowledge he shared. For that and for the service he gave to our country I will always be grateful. He left this good earth at much too young an age. It saddens me to think what more he could have accomplished and the good company we are going to miss in the years ahead.

My sincere condolences to his loved ones. RIP good sir!

blidgepump
16 Feb 16,, 02:21
The good Captain befriended me via the Fletcher thread.
He shared his knowledge and delightful humor.
My sincere heartfelt loss and thoughts go out to his family.
The helm stands vacant .......

Pacfanweb
16 Feb 16,, 05:18
Geez, I had been wondering where he was, too.

RIP, and he will be missed.

SlaterDoc
16 Feb 16,, 05:41
I am sure that all agree that this news deserves it own thread here in Naval Warfare.
I am shocked and saddened in discovering this. Many of us not only enjoyed his presence here, many learned much! I wish I had the chance to serve under his command. Though I never met the man, I
was grateful for the coms I had with him.

Captain, fair winds and following seas sir!

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/obituary.aspx?pid=176873394

MODERATORS: If possible, could one of you post the Captains picture that he used in his profile here.
Thanks

Officer of Engineers
16 Feb 16,, 06:24
A dedicated thread has been started for the Good Captain.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=66309&page=2&p=1003622#post1003622

S2
16 Feb 16,, 08:00
The Captain had alluded to tenuous health in a few comments. First rate mariner, obviously. Incredibly knowledgeable rocker too. Added a lot to the music thread while engaged.

I'll genuinely miss him here and my prayers to his family and friends. They've lost a good one.

So many of late. Damned shame.

TopHatter
16 Feb 16,, 16:40
Damn Damn DAMN...too much of this.

Captain, you will be sorely missed.

RustyBattleship
16 Feb 16,, 16:46
I am sure that all agree that this news deserves it own thread here in Naval Warfare.
I am shocked and saddened in discovering this. Many of us not only enjoyed his presence here, many learned much! I wish I had the chance to serve under his command. Though I never met the man, I
was grateful for the coms I had with him.

Captain, fair winds and following seas sir!

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sandiegouniontribune/obituary.aspx?pid=176873394

MODERATORS: If possible, could one of you post the Captains picture that he used in his profile here.
Thanks

It was just a few months before that he came out to visit the Iowa and offer some advice on a very slow leak we have in one of the shaft glands. He was a very congenial person who was Navy all the way. I'm glad I had the pleasure of meeting him and his family and even had him piped aboard.

85 gt kid
16 Feb 16,, 17:37
RIP sir, you will be missed but never forgotten.

Albany Rifles
16 Feb 16,, 21:50
Fuck!!!! FUCK!!!! FUCK YOU, DEATH!!!!

You keep taking the great ones way too early.

Skipper, you taught this grunt cum logistician cum historian a LOT!

Thank you for your service, your mentorship and your life!!!

Fair Winds and Following seas, Captain.

DINGDING DINGDING USS DESERTSWO....DEPARTING!

Dazed
16 Feb 16,, 22:10
I too miss the Captain.

I hope his family sees these post to witness the the joy he brought to the WAB. The high regard he was held in by members of WAB and also a little insight into his US.Naval Career. Which he was rightly proud of. From his post I had a sense he was an excellent teacher, especially with the knuckle heads.

RIP

Officer of Engineers
17 Feb 16,, 04:23
I would have loved a story when the Captain chewed someone out.

Cruiser
17 Feb 16,, 15:52
As someone who never had the opportunity to converse here with the Captain, I hope I'm not being presumptuous.

I have visited this forum frequently over the last year or so, and have joined up just yesterday. Desertswo was a major reason for my visits. I had intended to join several times, in part to converse with, and ask questions of, him (and some other members here). I now find myself deeply saddened by the fact that it will not be. And angry at my own procrastination.

I suspect that I'm not the only (former) visitor here who has enjoyed the Captain sharing his experience and opinions.

He will be incredibly missed.
I find myself struck by the fact that I have a lump in my throat over the passing of someone I've never met...

TopHatter
17 Feb 16,, 17:41
As someone who never had the opportunity to converse here with the Captain, I hope I'm not being presumptuous.

I have visited this forum frequently over the last year or so, and have joined up just yesterday. Desertswo was a major reason for my visits. I had intended to join several times, in part to converse with, and ask questions of, him (and some other members here). I now find myself deeply saddened by the fact that it will not be. And angry at my own procrastination.

I suspect that I'm not the only (former) visitor here who has enjoyed the Captain sharing his experience and opinions.

I find myself struck by the fact that I have a lump in my throat over the passing of someone I've never met...

Welcome aboard, no presumptuousness found. Glad to have you with us.

Cruiser
17 Feb 16,, 18:12
Welcome aboard, no presumptuousness found. Glad to have you with us.

Thank you.

Bigfella
17 Feb 16,, 21:02

People we have never met can still have a profound impact on our lives. Over the last few years we have lost a number of senior & much loved people at WAB. Captain Mike is sadly one more on the list. I'm not ashamed to say that I've cried more than a few tears for some of those we lost. I know I'm not alone. I didn't know the good Captain well enough for that, but the sadness & sense of loss is still genuine. You weren't the only one with a lump. :-)

Burnet
18 Feb 16,, 15:47

My situation exactly. I have wanted to post something but hesitated fearing I would say the wrong thing. You said it quite well.

I admired his verbal tact and the way he could explain things and disagree with other posters without being rude or condescending. The Captain was a real asset and will be greatly missed here.

tbm3fan
18 Feb 16,, 23:53
What the hell!

Now I was wondering what was up when I didn't hear back on a personal message. Well even though he went to my cross town rival high school, Saints, we managed to get along and not have any fights in the stands [insert smiley]. His obituary did put a name to his wife who I can now recognize as she was several classes behind me at Uni in 1971.

There is no doubt his knowledge, and the ability it to get it across, will be sorely missed here. I do regret that the two of us will be unable to meet as we both tended to go back and forth between our current homes and the homes we knew in San Diego during our earlier years.

May he have fair winds and following seas...

zraver
20 Feb 16,, 02:40
RIP, and the gang grows smaller and the poorer for it.

Monash
20 Feb 16,, 12:39
I hope someone from the forum is in a position to pass on our deep regrets at the passing of Captain Eagan to his family. It would have been a privilege to met him in person, he was gentleman in the truest sense of the word.

DonBelt
21 Feb 16,, 07:48
I sent a message on his facebook page expressing condolences and inviting his family to view the website. I hope it wasn't forward of me- not sure that anyone from his family may be looking at his facebook page, but I thought they should know that he had a lot of respect from here.

Bigfella
21 Feb 16,, 08:46
I hope someone from the forum is in a position to pass on our deep regrets at the passing of Captain Eagan to his family. It would have been a privilege to met him in person, he was gentleman in the truest sense of the word.

If you go to the link at the start (I think) there is an online condolence book. I left a message there & I hope others have too. I assume the family read them.

Officer of Engineers
24 Feb 16,, 07:16
Our generation passes. OBL pissed off a monster but it was an old monster. The good Captain represented the monster USN that was going to deliver hell and fire across two continents. Today, we argue why the IOWAs should or should not be activated. Good points made on either side but it ignores the real issue.

We're no longer monsters that we once were.

GS, we were willing to destroy an entire city just to destroy city hall. Now, just because we can destroy city hall with less destruction ... so too is less our threat.

Sir,

Present Arms.

Godspeed.

Monash
24 Feb 16,, 12:02
Every generation passes, decrying the failings of those who take their place - while at the same time forgetting that their fathers did the same thing. The world somehow manages to survive non-the-less and even prosper. If we are lucky we get to do our bit to try to make the world a better place, then we pass the job onto someone else. History gets to judge.

P.S. Apparently 4 glasses of wine makes me philosophical - I am getting old!

Albany Rifles
24 Feb 16,, 14:47
P.S. Apparently 4 glasses of wine makes me philosophical - I am getting old!

Well, you are better than me. That much wine makes me pee!

snapper
24 Feb 16,, 17:25
My condolences to his friends and family and my thanks for his service and understanding. I pray that my generation will live up to our forefathers

Monash
25 Feb 16,, 10:52
Well, you are better than me. That much wine makes me pee!

You pee, I sprout drunken/lame assed philosophy - and thus universal balance is achieved.

chanjyj
25 Feb 16,, 15:19
RIP Sir.

Deltacamelately
26 Feb 16,, 09:21
Rest in Peace Captain Mike!

My Condolences to the friends and family. You will be missed.

Zad Fnark
24 Mar 16,, 13:52
What a loss...

Everything he posted was pure education for me. RIP CPT Mike.

:(

Ed

SW4U
10 May 16,, 02:57
Most sorry to learn about CAPT Eagen's passing.

Fair winds and following seas to a distinguished Navy officer, an impeccable gentleman and an outstanding professional.

dan m
26 Jun 16,, 21:06
RIP capt. Clearly a man with a lot of experience and knowledge under his belt. Thank you for all of the knowledge you shared with this community and taking the time to answer the questions of a total stranger (me). I pray your family and friends find a way to live with the hole in their lives and hearts. Thank you sir. :(

gf0012-aust
13 Jul 16,, 09:36
truly a top bloke, I knew him from the StrategyPage days - so 10-12 years ago.

RIP

Tom24
30 Jul 16,, 19:33
I just found this thread after wondering why it had been so long since he posted in these forums. I'm at a loss for words. My condolences to his family, I've missed him sharing his experience and knowledge here in these forums.

WarToad
30 Aug 16,, 17:06
Found this thread just today and registered to pay respects to Mike. I've followed him and had conversations with Mike on several other forums over the years and he was always a wealth of information. You could ask what seemed a fairly straight forward question and he would lay a 6 paragraph knowledge bomb on you. Real world, this-is-how-and-why-it happens, officer/engineer experience.

Rest in peace and fair winds, Mike. A life well lived.

Officer of Engineers
30 Aug 16,, 21:25
A bittersweet welcome to a Friend of a Fallen Hero.