PDA

View Full Version : Asking for advice!

YellowFever
07 Jan 16,, 06:20
I need some advice from you smart people.

I live in a very nice neighborhood in Northern Los Angeles. It is one of the most sought after places to live in Los Angeles. The cheapest house up here is probably half a million dollars (a 1200sq condo) , with a typical house in the $800,000 range, up to a couple of million dollars.

This community was mostly built in the 80's and 90's and I like to say that my house/community has been seen by more people around the world than just about any other house/community because it got featured in the movie "ET".

Remember that ending scene where the bratty little kids ride their bikes all over still building housing projects that have yet to be completely built?

Well, that's where I live.....

Porter Ranch. :)

Yes, the methane gas thing.

Even though my house is one of the closest to the gas leak, I have yet to smell anything or feel anything.

You hear all the horror stories about how the additive smell of rotten eggs that they incorporated into the methane gas (since methane gas is odorless, they did it as an early warning thing) but after two months of this I have yet to smell the odor of rotten eggs....much less get a headache or nose bleed or even a general discomfort of any kind.

The gas company is falling over backwards to help ever since the news hit the airwaves.

They sent someone out to my house (without my prompting) to install an air scrubber and "weathproof" the house and I also got a $2500 allotment to buy two top of the line air purifiers.

I even requested relocation (I'm fine with staying here but my wife, who also suffered no effects, wants to get out...primarily because my block looks like a ghost town now) and they are working on it.

From everything I read, methane gas is relatively harmless with no long lasting effects but the lawyers (from whom I received at least 4 or 5 pamphlets/brochures a day) tells me how bad methane gas is for my health with long lasting permenent effects on my body, yadda, yadda, yadda...

They want me to join a lawsuit because the property value is (or will be) greatly reduced and for the "nuisance" I suffered. Didn't even know I could sue someone for nuisance but apparently there is a lot of money in it. :rolleye:

What I'm asking is should I move out?

Like I said, I thought methane gas was relatively harmless but too many of my neighbors are complaining of headaches and nose bleeds from their children.
(My wife and I have no children)

I would move out in an instant but living in a hotel could be such a hassle.

Also, should I sue?

I have suffered no effects physically but the property value is sure to go down...and. my neighbor (a real-estate agent) said she did some research and the value of the houses are down 5% but she doesn't expect that to last since this is one of the most sought after communities in L.A. to live and she expects the value to go up again a year from now.

True it has been a real "nuisance" with all the Halliburton and So Cal Gas trucks blocking the long winding road that leads up to my house so I have to go through some sort of detour practically every day.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Doktor
07 Jan 16,, 10:14
Dude,

Your governor just called a state of emergency and it is all over the news even here (yep you are a celebrity). Tell me again, how it will affect tje price?

Lawyers flocking you? You have a case ;)

citanon
07 Jan 16,, 10:16
Not sure about the legal advice but health wise if methane gas was really a problem then wouldn't the cow farmers of the world be totally f***ed?

Parihaka
07 Jan 16,, 19:47
Not sure about the legal advice but health wise if methane gas was really a problem then wouldn't the cow farmers of the world be totally f***ed?

No, well mixed gases and low volume. Yellows problem is a high volume plume that hasn't had a chance to mix. Yellow, get the hell out.

Doktor
07 Jan 16,, 20:07
No, well mixed gases and low volume. Yellows problem is a high volume plume that hasn't had a chance to mix. Yellow, get the hell out.

Idiot mode is ON. No wonders he feels OK.

gunnut
07 Jan 16,, 20:16
Hey you live where my brother lives.

GVChamp
07 Jan 16,, 20:47
What would you do if you were in my position?

Grill chicken and boil sweet potatoes.

If I had kids I'd be getting out of dodge, but what I am reading suggests there's little evidence of direct risk to your health. I wouldn't disrupt my life over it.

Your choice, though.

Re: Lawsuit, meh, depends on what hit my house takes.

Albany Rifles
07 Jan 16,, 22:34
You haven't left?

And based on some of your posts on the WAB I question that there have not been any ill effects yet.

citanon
07 Jan 16,, 22:46
You haven't left?

And based on some of your posts on the WAB I question that there have not been any ill effects yet.

That's.... a low blow.

Stitch
07 Jan 16,, 23:52
You haven't left?

Well, he is ASKING for advice; that's the first time he's done that. I'd say it's too late . . .

YellowFever
08 Jan 16,, 03:59
Man, some people must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :P

So I got a friend who wants to rent me his place and I decided to use it. Sempre Energy is paying up to 7500 bucks a month so I might as well use it.

My wife and I discussed it last night and we had a nice dinner afterwards and after that, to celebrate our decision, we did something that AR and Stitch haven't done in a decade....we had sex.

I'm sure, unlike stitch or AR, I managed to keep the "I can't believe this is happening to me" look off my face while enjoying said sex.

Thank you.

YellowFever
08 Jan 16,, 04:04
"Grill chicken and boil sweet potatoes."

"Idiot mode is ON. No wonders he feels OK."

"Hey you live where my brother lives."

"That's.... a low blow."

Thankyou for the wonderful advice. It brought tears to my eyes.

YellowFever
08 Jan 16,, 04:04

Yes Sir!

citanon
08 Jan 16,, 04:06
This is great. We need more of these advice threads for entertainment. =)

Stitch
08 Jan 16,, 06:16
This is great. We need more of these advice threads for entertainment. =)

But only if Yeller is askin' the questions . . . it's more fun that way . . .

gunnut
08 Jan 16,, 06:18
Well this is interesting...

Kathleen Brown, the governor’s sister, sits on the Board of Directors of Sempra Energy, the parent company of Southern California Gas. Brown serves on Sempra’s Corporate Governance and Environmental, Health, Safety, and Technology committees and received $188,300 in compensation last year and holds stock in the company valued at over $400,000.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/california-governors-sister-sits-on-board-of-company-responsible-for-methane-leak/

Monash
08 Jan 16,, 12:26
My wife and I discussed it last night and we had a nice dinner afterwards and after that, to celebrate our decision, we did something that AR and Stitch haven't done in a decade....we had sex.
Thank you.

With each other?... FYI Yellow, just seeking clarification not more details.

With regards the other issue, the first question would be how big is your mortgage/how much equity do you have. The second question is what is happening to real estate prices (for comparable properties) in your neighborhood. The answer is easy if you have a big mortgage and a steep fall in prices as a result of the methane thing - leave and make it the banks problem. It's not so simple if the reverse is true (low mortgage and small drop in prices). In that case you need as much info as you can get - legal, geophysical and financial.

Albany Rifles
08 Jan 16,, 16:15
Man, some people must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :P

So I got a friend who wants to rent me his place and I decided to use it. Sempre Energy is paying up to 7500 bucks a month so I might as well use it.

I'm sure, unlike stitch or AR, I managed to keep the "I can't believe this is happening to me" look off my face while enjoying said sex.

Thank you.

Excuse me?

I have never had sex with Stitch or your wife!!!!

Your turn....

tankie
08 Jan 16,, 19:41
Dance around bollok naked in the dark with a candle , ya can be a will o the wisp . A flasher that can gerraway with it ,,n ya know you always wanted to do that . heheh

FJV
08 Jan 16,, 20:29
There seems to be an oppertunity to buy houses cheapish and sell later at a profit.

Officer of Engineers
08 Jan 16,, 20:50
My wife and I discussed it last night and we had a nice dinner afterwards and after that, to celebrate our decision, we did something that AR and Stitch haven't done in a decade....we had sex.I see your wife received my hockey stick.

Doktor
08 Jan 16,, 21:26
Excuse me?

Your turn....

Where are the freakin like button and the emoticons when you need them?

Monash
09 Jan 16,, 11:40
Excuse me?

Have you tried? I mean really ask and you shall receive!

Parihaka
09 Jan 16,, 16:52
Well this is interesting...

http://freebeacon.com/issues/california-governors-sister-sits-on-board-of-company-responsible-for-methane-leak/

Hence its been happening for months without the usual 'evil corporations raping the world' meme.

Doktor
09 Jan 16,, 19:34

I'd ban you for being evil

Stitch
10 Jan 16,, 02:31

This thread is getting weirder and weirder by the moment . . .

GVChamp
10 Jan 16,, 17:49
This thread is getting weirder and weirder by the moment . . .

Gas leak is spreading fast....

Stitch
11 Jan 16,, 00:00
Gas leak is spreading fast....

I suppose it depends on what kind of gas you're talking about . . .

Officer of Engineers
11 Jan 16,, 01:15
They are talking about methane ...