PDA

View Full Version : In Memoriam: Brigadier S K Raychaudhuri

Yusuf
01 Jun 15,, 13:30
Not able to post a new thread on this but not able to as i get database error.

Wanted to inform that Brigadier @Ray has passed on. He was suffering from a heart condition and was having difficulty in breathing. He passed away at 2040 hours on 30th of May.

I am sure many old members over here will remember him.

sumob
01 Jun 15,, 13:34
RIP to the good Brig.

Followed him for years and learnt a lot from him.

Oracle
01 Jun 15,, 15:19
RIP Ray.

OOE2_test
01 Jun 15,, 15:22
Present Arms.

God Bless, Sir. God Bless, My Friend.

Not a good day.

DarthSiddius
01 Jun 15,, 15:48
RIP Brigadier.

kuku
01 Jun 15,, 17:43
A good life, will remember you, dear sir.

Seahorse
01 Jun 15,, 20:20
Dear all, posting a sad news.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/brigadier-ray-no-more.68252/

With a very heavy heart and profound sadness I am informing our members that Brigadier Ray is no more.

He died on 30th of May at 2040 hours in Command Hospital in Kolkata. His last rites have just concluded. I just spoke to his wife and conveyed my condolences and on behalf of the forum.

Mrs Ray wanted me to inform all of you.

Brig Ray died of a heart condition due to which he couldn't breathe.

May his soul Rest In Peace.

Seahorse
01 Jun 15,, 20:21
Dear all, posting a sad news.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/brigadier-ray-no-more.68252/

With a very heavy heart and profound sadness I am informing our members that Brigadier Ray is no more.

He died on 30th of May at 2040 hours in Command Hospital in Kolkata. His last rites have just concluded.
Brig Ray died of a heart condition due to which he couldn't breathe.

May his soul Rest In Peace.

Parihaka
01 Jun 15,, 20:50
Ah that is the saddest thing. Thank you to you Seahorse for telling us and Brigadier, even when we weren't following each other my thoughts were often of you, as they are now.

Ka hinga te tōtara o te wao nui o Tane

S2
01 Jun 15,, 23:01
Combative and proud, Brigadier Ray was a leading light at WAB for years. I'll deeply miss his thoughts and the fellowship generated by his active concern for the WAB community. Gone from WAB and, now, gone from us all…

…but never, ever forgotten.

Present Arms!

bolo121
02 Jun 15,, 03:34
Very sad news,
RIP sir

devgupt
02 Jun 15,, 04:39
Rest in Peace Sir.
Feeling an emptiness

Andrey Egorov
02 Jun 15,, 09:09
Rest in Peace

cirrrocco
02 Jun 15,, 23:59
Such a sad news!!! wow

prash
03 Jun 15,, 15:21
amar always

rest in peace!

Albany Rifles
03 Jun 15,, 21:34
Rest in Peace Good Sir

You are missed.

cataphract
04 Jun 15,, 02:16
RIP Sir. I didn't get a chance to interact with you, but learned lots from your debates here when I was lurking.

lemontree
04 Jun 15,, 10:38
This is sad news. Rest in Peace sir. I will always cherish the lively debates that we had.

Seahorse. Please convey my condolences to his family.

snapper
05 Jun 15,, 23:47
An Indian Officer and Gentleman without whom India is poorer. I used to love his anecdotal stories - read them all. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Double Edge
06 Jun 15,, 04:09
Never got a chance to interact with him but have read his posts.

....salute...

chanjyj
07 Jun 15,, 14:27
Rip.

Deltacamelately
08 Jun 15,, 12:13
He was learned and honourable Gentleman. Sea Horse, please do convey my condolences to his family and friends. He will be always remembered.

Rest is Peace Sir!

popillol
08 Jun 15,, 19:35
RIP Sir.

Can't post in any other thread.

Well, I was going through another site, came across an interesting discussion:
What if Japan changes side to China? With all the technology, reserves and assets outside its territorial limits, won't USA crumble under the combined weight? After all, 50 years down the line, Japan will have to live right next to China.
Just like Israel secretly supports the monarchs/dictators (may be) of its hostile neighbours to tame general hostility of their respective citizens.

What would USA do to save itself?

dalem
09 Jun 15,, 04:09
RIP indeed.

-dale

OOE2_test
09 Jun 15,, 05:32
Whether you agreed with the Good Brigadier or not, he has a habbit of forcing you to understand your own position fully and challenges every little aspect. If you thought you knew your position before you got into a debate with him, you sure knew it fully afterwards.

I miss him.

Julie
17 Jun 15,, 05:46
Oh my goodness...Ray...may you rest in peace.

texasjohn
15 Jul 15,, 20:55
Just saw this..I will miss him greatly.

Parihaka
05 Aug 15,, 10:37
For those who missed it during our down time, bumped and now with it's own thread

Doktor
05 Aug 15,, 11:28
RIP, good Sir.

Will crack a bottle later in the day. Again.

Oracle
05 Aug 15,, 11:36
RIP Brigadier Ray!

Bigfella
05 Aug 15,, 11:44
Didn't get a chance to post here due to the unpleasantness.

The Brigadier was one of the most interesting people I have ever met. Intelligent, well read & in turns friendly & abrasive, but never in a way that made you dislike him for long. Glad I got the chance to spend some time in his company. Heaven just got that bit more interesting.

RIP Sir.

Big K
05 Aug 15,, 12:32
i am very sorry to hear this...

RIP. :( :(

tankie
05 Aug 15,, 14:17

RIP Sir,,,stand down , your duty done .

TopHatter
05 Aug 15,, 16:20
A man of immense courage and conviction, we will never again see his equal.

Officer of Engineers
01 Nov 15,, 06:54
A scotch to you tonight, Sir, my fellow bellycrawler.

I do miss you, Sir.

Albany Rifles
02 Nov 15,, 14:49
A scotch to you tonight, Sir, my fellow bellycrawler.

I do miss you, Sir.

Well stated, Sir!

Deltacamelately
03 Nov 15,, 11:37
He was indeed a thoroughly well read gentleman and a very proud officer indeed!

antimony
03 Nov 15,, 23:09
I tried to find my own post on this thread but cannot find it, so let me recount my meeting with him.

It was Dec 2008, following the Mumbai incident. I had previously emailed him and he agreed to meet. I called the number one evening and asked if I could speak to Saibal Chakraborty ( an error on my part, I gave the name of an acquaintance rather than the Brigs). A gruff voice corrected me : "this is Saibal Raychaudhuri, not Chakraborty". Caught a bit off guard, I introduced myself and asked if we could meet. He told me that I could come down at his place (he gave me the directions) and "we can do lunch".

On the appointed date, I put on the only freshly laundered shirt and trousers I had (somehow I felt it would be better than if I turned up in t-shirts and jeans) and went off to his house in South Calcutta.

He was cordial from the start, unlike his gruff self on the phone. Physically he was average, on the thin side, but he carried himself ramrod straight, as if on a parade ground. His wife was extremely nice and welcoming, something like an meeting a favorite nephew after many days.

I was a bit reserved at first, but soon I found myself arguing vigorously with him like I had done many times on WAB. He berated me for not bringing my wife along and told me (jokingly) that I had failed to meet the test of an officer.

The "lunch" that I was supposed to do turned out to be another awesome experience. The three of us went to the Officer's Club in Fort William Calcutta, hallowed ground for military officers. I was real glad that I decided to dress "properly". There were a lot of other retired officers around and there was a bit if good natured back and forth about which regiment they were in. Brig Ray took particular pleasure in jibing with ex-Artillery officers.

Overall, I was very glad that I took the opportunity to get in touch with him and meeting him. We kept in touch on email and he was for some time trying to get his book of military anecdotes published.

Long story, but will finish with this : Dear Sir, thanks for giving us the pleasure of knowing you.

Amled
23 Aug 16,, 04:02
Rest in Peace, Ray.

Officer of Engineers
23 Aug 16,, 05:00
I'm sorry your return post is on this thread. He was such a Good Man though.

tankie
23 Aug 16,, 16:33
I do know Ray was writing his autobiography and was talking to Dave Lukins about it a lot , I sincerely hope he finished it before his and Daves demise

RIP Ray and Dave , Dave who I miss terribly and with heavy heart .

My mate and fine MAN Dave , happier times .

Parihaka
23 Aug 16,, 20:55
I miss them both enormously.

Doktor
23 Aug 16,, 21:09
I miss them both enormously.

+1.

Big K
23 Aug 16,, 22:41
they were both great people and good friends.

i learned a lot from them.

Rest In Peace Ray & Dave

i hereby want to repeat to create a "Hall Of Honor" thread for members like Dave & ray who were part of the heart and soul of this great forum.