PDA

View Full Version : Forum Restored!

TopHatter
15 Jul 15,, 21:04
Dear loyal WABbits,

As you can see, our own personal team of guardian angels and sugar daddies at Rochen have restored the board to working order. A HUGE thank you to Team Rochen for their hard work and generosity!!

There are of course still a few issues left to fix. The priority was to fix the core issues first, and that they have done magnificently.

At the moment, we have identified the following issues:

1. Some attachments/file uploads have been lost - Unfortunately whatever was lost is likely lost for good.

2. Smilies are not working.

3. WAB Logo on the home page is not displaying

4. Post "Likes" function is still missing

As you find other errors or functions missing or not working properly, please post on this thread.

Welcome back!

Pedicabby
15 Jul 15,, 21:53
Cheers!

cirrrocco
15 Jul 15,, 22:17
finally!!!!..
Thank you sugar daddies. can you help me find me some sugar mommies

Officer of Engineers
16 Jul 15,, 00:42
*** applause ***

Surveyor
16 Jul 15,, 00:51
Yay!!!!

tantalus
16 Jul 15,, 00:55
Real treat to see WAB back up again.

Plenty happening in the world, seems criminal that WAB doesn't get its say...

Chris
16 Jul 15,, 02:51
We aim to get all of these remaining issues worked out over the next week or so. Just glad to have the board back up and running for everyone.

We do have some longer term plans to improve user experience as well though.

Thanks everyone.

Triple C
16 Jul 15,, 03:03
Hooray!

texasjohn
16 Jul 15,, 03:06
yay!

TopHatter
16 Jul 15,, 03:09
Thanks everyone.

Thank YOU!

Squirrel
16 Jul 15,, 03:12
Friggin sweet!

I worried for a few days that maybe I "didn't get the memo."

Julie
16 Jul 15,, 03:25
Cool.

DonBelt
16 Jul 15,, 05:26
I had hoped when I got a birthday email from WAB that it meant things were back up and running. Couldn't ask for a better 50th birthday present. Well, I could, but I probably wouldn't get it and having the Board back is pretty sweet.

Officer of Engineers
16 Jul 15,, 05:40
Happy Birthday, Glenmongie is on special for July.

Oracle
16 Jul 15,, 06:01
Sweet. A big thanks to the team @ Rochen.

DonBelt
16 Jul 15,, 06:06
Maybe there are a few bugs still, it won't let me upload more than one picture.:red:

tbm3fan
16 Jul 15,, 07:46
Friggin sweet!

I worried for a few days that maybe I "didn't get the memo."

I thought the same thing when I saw the yellow page saying "account suspended"

popillol
16 Jul 15,, 13:06
*** HAPPY ***
But, are all the posts from 10th June lost? :'(

Don't we get a title for reaching 100 posts?? *** not good ***

JAD_333
16 Jul 15,, 13:16
Thanks, Chris. And you too, Top.

popillol
16 Jul 15,, 13:16
Can the administrators please tell what is my IP showing?

Monash
16 Jul 15,, 13:45
Yeah! Glad to be back. But I seem to only be able to 'reply with quote'. None-the- less hope everyone has is well and has fared better than the Forum itself has over the past few weeks.

Check that "reply' just magically appeared after I posted.

Bigfella
16 Jul 15,, 14:41
Thank you Chris, thank you Rochen.

I just sent a private message out today to another Wabber asking if he knew whether the forum was a goner. I really have missed this place.

chanjyj
16 Jul 15,, 14:41
Finally, finally.

bolo121
16 Jul 15,, 16:33
Huzzah!
I was thinking that the plug had been pulled permanently.
Glad to see the Wab back

bbvet
16 Jul 15,, 16:51
Pluto SHOULD be a planet and WAB should be UP & RUNNING!

Congratulations to the team!!!!

bbvet
16 Jul 15,, 16:54
Glad to see the WAB and our Battleship Board up and running again!!! If anyone has an answer as to what caused the crash (I've heard rumors...) please post it!

Hank

Double Edge
16 Jul 15,, 17:11
WAB be gone a long time :'(

TopHatter
16 Jul 15,, 17:13
If anyone has an answer as to what caused the crash (I've heard rumors...) please post it!

In a nutshell, security gaps in our version of vBulletin inevitably allowed phishing attacks to occur, which in turn caused our account with vBulletin to be suspended.

The good news is, we've not only been unsuspended, but our software version and security protocols have been thoroughly updated.

Double Edge
16 Jul 15,, 17:27
Oh, i thought you guys had a bad update and things spun out of control as a result.

Gun Grape
16 Jul 15,, 21:41
Thanks Rochen and Chris

dan m
16 Jul 15,, 23:53
Good to see WAB up and running again. Thought this forum was going to be down permanently. Thanks to the team that made this possible its good to be back :D

Monash
22 Jul 15,, 11:21
In a nutshell, security gaps in our version of vBulletin inevitably allowed phishing attacks to occur, which in turn caused our account with vBulletin to be suspended.

The good news is, we've not only been unsuspended, but our software version and security protocols have been thoroughly updated.

Re; the phishing attacks, any idea of the source/intentions? Just curious - did they get WABERS email account details for instance?

TopHatter
22 Jul 15,, 16:50
Re; the phishing attacks, any idea of the source/intentions? Just curious - did they get WABERS email account details for instance?

No idea of source, the intention was likely just the usual site hijacking to send out spam. We do know that it wasn't a WAB-specific targeted malicious attack.

No information of our private information being breached, although not likely.

S2
22 Jul 15,, 20:26
Chris and the Rochen Team,

I think we're all deeply, deeply grateful. Guys, we've become a global community and that's only by virtue of your sponsorship and hard work on all of our behalf. I badly missed my friends here that I've come to know over nearly nine years of membership while the board was down and wondered if I'd ever communicate with them on the WAB again. I'm sure others felt similarly so you can't imagine just how truly happy so many of us are now that WAB is back.

Thank you so much. I'm very appreciative.

cirrrocco
23 Jul 15,, 20:05
^^ beautiful words S2

Doktor
23 Jul 15,, 20:44

I think we're all deeply, deeply grateful. Guys, we've become a global community and that's only by virtue of your sponsorship and hard work on all of our behalf. I badly missed my friends here that I've come to know over nearly nine years of membership while the board was down and wondered if I'd ever communicate with them on the WAB again. I'm sure others felt similarly so you can't imagine just how truly happy so many of us are now that WAB is back.

What to add now? The bottles are cracked.

Archdude
24 Jul 15,, 00:02

Very well said!!!! Happy the boards are back. miss the intelligent discussions on various topics.

DonBelt
24 Jul 15,, 04:33
Glad it's back, but I don't seem to be able to post pictures.

Parihaka
24 Jul 15,, 06:13
test 1
test2

Test 1 was from a url, test 2 was an upload from my computer

Monash
24 Jul 15,, 10:46
Is the 'Like' button coming back any time soon?

Deltacamelately
24 Jul 15,, 11:23
Thanks Rochen and team.

I just realised what this place means for me every time I tried to access WAB and the browser said "This account is suspended". Every time this happened I felt a deep sense of loss and just as Steve said it, I wondered whether I would be able to talk to you Gentlemen again in this life.

Great work and thanks once again. Cheers!!!

bolo121
24 Jul 15,, 12:53
The impression i get from a quick google is that Vbulletin is total crap since around version 4.
Maybe its time to consider migration to something like Xenforo or myBB.

TopHatter
24 Jul 15,, 16:27
Is the 'Like' button coming back any time soon?

Our missing functions (smilies & the Like button) are on the list of things to be fixed. Unfortunately we don't have any ETA yet.

The impression i get from a quick google is that Vbulletin is total crap since around version 4.
Maybe its time to consider migration to something like Xenforo or myBB.

That's really good information to have, I must confess I hadn't checked on vB's current reputation nor shopped around for other BB's.

Definitely going to throw that into the mix of future plans for WAB.

bolo121
25 Jul 15,, 05:46
That's really good information to have, I must confess I hadn't checked on vB's current reputation nor shopped around for other BB's.

Out of the two Xenforo needs a license but myBB is free and open source, so it could be a bit of a budget boost to WAB as well not having to pay vbulletin.
They also have a merge program to migrate from other software onto them.

JAD_333
25 Jul 15,, 16:57
I must confess I hadn't checked on vB's current reputation nor shopped around for other BB's.

A side by side comparison of the ones Bolo mentioned and vB...most surprising are the user ratings. There are other differences that are above my pay grade to comment on. Also, the review may be out of date.

http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/mybb-vs-vbulletin4-vs-xenforo

Doktor
25 Jul 15,, 18:39
Forums are outdated in general. The only pro they have against let's say FB groups is anonimity.

JAD_333
25 Jul 15,, 22:09
Forums are outdated in general. The only pro they have against let's say FB groups is anonimity.

You missed one important difference: can't ban the jerks on FB. And another: members run their boards; not a corporate entity

Parihaka
25 Jul 15,, 23:31
As for outdated, I think users of forums such as reddit would disagree. What has happened is options have increased, allowing access for more people across more platforms.

bolo121
26 Jul 15,, 04:12
A side by side comparison of the ones Bolo mentioned and vB...most surprising are the user ratings. There are other differences that are above my pay grade to comment on. Also, the review may be out of date.

http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/mybb-vs-vbulletin4-vs-xenforo

Hehe yep I was suprised by the sheer volume of hate spewed on Vbulletin in various forum discussions.

popillol
26 Jul 15,, 12:25

What anonymity? Big players already know everyone, small players can't do anything! LOL!

popillol
26 Jul 15,, 12:30
@TopHatter, it seems I can receive your message but can't send one. Hope it is resolved soon!

Thank You.

Oracle
04 Aug 15,, 06:55
Can't posts new thread.

TopHatter
05 Aug 15,, 01:14
@TopHatter, it seems I can receive your message but can't send one. Hope it is resolved soon!

Thank You.

Popillol, I've been receiving your messages...can you try again?
If you're still getting failure notices, post here again. Thanks.

Can't posts new thread.

Oracle, which forums are you trying to post new threads on?

Oracle
05 Aug 15,, 05:47
Oracle, which forums are you trying to post new threads on?

Central and South Asia.

Parihaka
05 Aug 15,, 06:25
Central and South Asia.

Oddities abound, my sub persona minion can. Hmmmm.

Oracle
05 Aug 15,, 07:46
I tried now, and could. Thank you minion. :)

Parihaka
05 Aug 15,, 09:09
I tried now, and could. Thank you minion. :)

Fab, he's an unreliable wee chap but has his uses sometimes

Doktor
05 Aug 15,, 09:21

Parihaka
05 Aug 15,, 09:24
Ooh contraire

Oracle
05 Aug 15,, 10:20
Fab, he's an unreliable wee chap but has his uses sometimes

Okay, Minion, you were right, and I was... less right! We should stick to what we're good at: being bad...

Doktor
05 Aug 15,, 11:33
Okay, Minion, you were right, and I was... less right! We should stick to what we're good at: being bad...

So, you are... left?

Oracle
05 Aug 15,, 14:35
So, you are... left?

I'm bad, I'm bad. :-)

Did the board go offline for sometime?

Doktor
05 Aug 15,, 15:21
I'm bad, I'm bad. :-)

Did the board go offline for sometime?

Yep, Pari was refiling his admin powers.

Old chap he is, expect this to happen quite frequently. (I'd put a smiley here, but the powers to be won't let me)

popillol
05 Aug 15,, 18:21
Popillol, I've been receiving your messages...can you try again?
If you're still getting failure notices, post here again. Thanks.

I can't remember the exact wordings of my message. No problem, I was just curious.
And the messages that you received are not showing in my Sent messages folder!

Parihaka
05 Aug 15,, 20:59
I can't remember the exact wordings of my message. No problem, I was just curious.
And the messages that you received are not showing in my Sent messages folder!

You need to enable that function 'save sent messages' in your personal settings. Odd I know, but thats Vbulletin.

popillol
05 Aug 15,, 22:33
You need to enable that function 'save sent messages' in your personal settings. Odd I know, but thats Vbulletin.

Done! Thanks.

tbm3fan
01 Apr 16,, 22:13
So private messages is working once again. Must be as I just got one that made me pause some as the sender was desertswo. When did this happen?

TopHatter
02 Apr 16,, 00:16
So private messages is working once again. Must be as I just got one that made me pause some as the sender was desertswo. When did this happen?

PM's have been working since last year...no idea why you got one from desertswo though :-(

Stitch
02 Apr 16,, 00:18
Wow, that's weird; maybe the PM's were held up in a server buffer somewhere?

tbm3fan
02 Apr 16,, 05:24
Wow, that's weird; maybe the PM's were held up in a server buffer somewhere?

At first I was puzzled.Even more so when the date was April 1st. Turns out it was Mike's wife who only recently found out he was a member of this forum. He had mentioned a Uni High grad in the past and apparently she saw the private messages between Mike and me in that regards.