Smaller Carriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller Carriers

I heard the USN is planning to make 'Smaller Carriers', didn't read to much about it. But it should get USN forces to the hotspot faster and capable of action till the big boys come in'.

The new carrier concept, CVX, is a big fleet carrier, but with greatly reduced manning.

Comment

is that the thing the British are doing? Because their new carrier design carries 50 aircraft and has a displacement of 60,000 tons with a crew of only 600.

Comment

No, that's the US Nimitz class replacement.

Comment

Re: Smaller Carriers

Originally posted by BUFFB52
          I heard the USN is planning to make 'Smaller Carriers', didn't read to much about it. But it should get USN forces to the hotspot faster and capable of action till the big boys come in'.
          The Marine Corps has a few flattop transport ships that currently have helicopters and Harrier jets........ any small carriers would probably go into service with the USMC.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Currently I think US officials are trying to convince the Aussies to help build a small and faster carrier.

CVX are supposed to be built after the last USS Nimitz class right? I think the USS George H Bush.

Comment

After the last of the Nimitz's correct.

The USMC has 8 Wasp LHD's(20 harriers max), and 5 Tarawa's(12 Harriers max.)

Not to bad for a bunch of Jarheads. ;)

Comment

I hope the Aussies agree...think about it! It's a win, win situation!

You get a small and fast carrier, and the JSF package!

Comment

They got no money.

Carriers for Oz are a pipedream.

Comment

If Thailand can afford 2, I think the Aussies can afford one. Albeit the Thais carriers are only helicopter carriers (I think). The new one the Italians are about to start building costs 1.02 billion dollars.

"The ship could support eight VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) aircraft such as AV-8B Harrier or F-35 joint strike fighter VTOL variant, or 12 helicopters, such as the EH101, AB-212, NH 90 or SH-3D, or a mix of platforms.
                    "

The Aussies could certainly afford something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper

Not to bad for a bunch of Jarheads. ;)
                      LOL, i had a feeling you'd say something like that.

Comment

I'm sure they could afford them, but think Canada...

Social programs over defense.

Comment

The Aussies should be capable of affording an aircraft carrier. They have one of their own carriers in the works in the design phase. But now the US is talking to the Aussies about co-devolping a small and speedy carrier.

Comment

"Thailand can afford 2, I think the Aussies can afford one."

Thailand has one. They bought it from Spain.

"Albeit the Thais carriers are only helicopter carriers (I think)."

It operates AV-8S Harriers. 9 of them.

"The ship could support eight VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) aircraft such as AV-8B Harrier or F-35 joint strike fighter VTOL variant, or 12 helicopters, such as the EH101, AB-212, NH 90 or SH-3D, or a mix of platforms.
                            "

"The Aussies could certainly afford something like this."

The Aussies are getting ready to axe thier F-111 fleet, 3 FFGs, and 2 Collins SSK's.

They're not buying any carriers. Their defense budget is all of 1.5% of their GDP. Peanuts.

Comment

The Collins too? I thought they were the pride of the Aussie navy?

Comment

Working...
                              X